DIY Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Solar Panels

In this thread I will try to break down the basics of solar panels and the different setups since the demand for information on this subject is increasing.

Here will be the subjects discussed;

1. Solar Panels

2. Grid Tie and Off the Grid solar setups,

3. Grid Tie solar setup basics

4. Off the Grid solar setup basics

A. Grid Tie inverters
    B. Solar Charge Controllers
    C. Batteries
    D. Wiring
    E. Power inverters

If there are any requests for certain information then just ask. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to cover everything. I am on Percoset right now so please forgive me if something doesn't make sense. Just ask me to clarify and when I'm clear headed I will.

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I am on Percoset right now so please forgive me if something doesn't make sense. Just ask me to clarify and when I'm clear headed I will.
    HAHAH that is greatness!!!!!

Would love to hear about the "off the grid" set ups, I would not want to share my collected power with a coop, but from what I understand when it is tied into the grid you are compensated or credited for what you harness ..?

Comment

Awesome, I'm having a guy come and give me an estimate for my house. No interest for 6 years, guy next door said it would save me about 70% of my electric bill, any idea????

Comment

Very interested in this...following

Comment

1. Solar Panels

Solar panels take the sun's light and transform it into direct current (DC) power. Solar panels have 2 ratings that you need to pay attention to; Wattage and Voltage

Wattage; There are solar panels out there that are rated from as little as 0.25 watts to as high as 250 watts or higher. You need to match up the solar panel size to your demands.

Voltage; Solar panels are rated for either 12 volt, 24 volt, and even some that are 36 volt. However, what the panel is rated at will not be what it actually puts out. For example, a 12 volt panel can put out as much as 22 volts in peak sun light. A 24 volt panel will put out around 33 volts.

There are also several different kinds of solar panels. Amorphous, Monocrystalline, and Polycrystalline. Confused yet? Don't worry as it's really quit easy. Amorphous solar panels are typically the cheapest, however they only have about a 5 year life span. Monocrystalline panels are about the best you can buy as they are the most efficient with Polycrystalline panels being the second most efficient. Both Polycrystalline and Monocrystalline panels both typically have a 25 year warranty for power output and are the best for the long term setups.

Choosing the right size panel for your needs is the tricky part. I'm not going to get into that here just yet. If you send me a message though, I can give you some guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
            HAHAH that is greatness!!!!!

Would love to hear about the "off the grid" set ups, I would not want to share my collected power with a coop, but from what I understand when it is tied into the grid you are compensated or credited for what you harness ..?

If you have a grid tie setup, you will basically be putting all the power you produce back into the grid. The only problem with this setup is if the power goes out, your power goes out too even if it is during the day and your panels are producing power.

In a grid tie setup, the power your setup produces and gets put back into the grid, you do get paid for it, or you get a reduction in your electric bill depending on how much power your setup produces.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
              Awesome, I'm having a guy come and give me an estimate for my house. No interest for 6 years, guy next door said it would save me about 70% of my electric bill, any idea????
              What is the name of the company. I have a friend in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post

That would be a grid tie setup. The main questions to ask are who maintains the setup after it is installed, how much do you pay per month for it, if the panels get damaged (hail strike, lightning strike, or limb falling on them) who picks up the bill, what happens if you need a new roof put on in a few years, and if you move then what happens to the setup?

Most of the time if you don't have to pay for it then that means that the company is using your roof to put up their panels, and they own the panels, not you.

Comment

Grid Tie and Off the Grid systems.

So what in the world is a grid tie system?

Grid tie systems are those setups that are tied directly in to the power that comes into the house and these setups will decrease your electric bill. These setups need solar panel(s), a grid tie power inverter, and some kind of transfer switch. One important thing to remember about the grid tie setup is when the power goes out coming in to your house, you will also loose power as well.

I need to talk briefly about power inverters in order to explain what a grid tie inverter needs to be. There are 3 types of power inverters. Square wave (the cheapest), modified sine wave, and pure sine wave inverter. The only type of inverter that you can safely use for a grid tie system is a pure sine wave inverter. A pure sine wave inverter gives the exact same kind of clean power that already comes out of a wall outlet. All of the power companies will require a pure sine wave inverter for any type of grid tie system. A non-pure sine wave inverter can actually cause problems in the electric grid, and your power company can in fact fine you for using a non-pure sine wave inverter.

Off the grid system.

An off the grid system is ideal for the hunting lease, cabin, or a work shed out back. An off the grid type of system needs the following components;

Solar panels
                  Solar charge controller
                  battery bank
                  power inverter

With an off the grid type of setup, typically one goes this route because of the expense of running power to the area is too high, or is impossible to do (like if you only have your RV on the lease during deer season). An off the grid setup has a big advantage over a generator in that it makes no noise. On the other hand, a generator is nice to have in the Texas heat because you need a large off the grid solar setup to run an air conditioner. However, during the fall, winter, and spring, you can have a small off the grid solar setup that can provide you with most of your power needs(especially at the lease).

Comment

Grid Tie solar setup basics;

A grid tie solar electric system – also referred to as grid-tied or utility intertie photovoltaics (PV) – uses solar panels, a power inverter and other components to turn sunlight into electricity for your use, while your home remains hooked up to the local utility. This is different from an off-grid or stand alone solar system, where your structure is not hooked up to utility power.

The most common reason people install a solar grid tie system is to reduce their utility bills. Once your system is operating the power it provides is free, and there is little or no maintenance required. While it runs, your PV system reduces your electrical bills, not only because it decreases how much power you pull from your utility, but also because any excess power you produce is pushed back into the grid (net metering) effectively turning your meter backwards. Eventually your PV system will pay for itself, but your energy savings will continue long after.

In addition to what you save on your electric bill, having a grid tie system raises the value of your property. Solar also makes a home more attractive to potential buyers, particularly when compared to an otherwise identical home. This can make a big difference should you decide to sell your home in a tight real estate market.

Another great incentive for installing solar is that the Federal government, and many states and local utilities, offer rebates, tax credits, low interest loans and other incentives for adding solar power.

When sunlight shines on solar panels they produce Direct Current (DC). That DC electricity is converted into household AC power by your power inverter, and it is then available for household use. This process happens silently and automatically every day.

When a grid-tie solar electric system generates more power than you are using in your home, the excess electricity is sent out into the utility grid. The excess power going into the grid spins your meter backwards, allowing your neighbors to use clean, quiet solar power. If you use more power than your system is producing, your inverter will automatically pull the needed power from the utility grid – and you’ll never notice a thing.

This is back and forth process is called “net metering”, and it means you are only billed for the “net” electricity purchased over the entire billing period. At the end of each billing cycle your meter will not have spun as far forward when compared to not having solar electricity, saving you money. If you produce more than you use during a billing period, your utility company will retain it as a credit, which will then be applied to future electric bills or they will send you a check, depending on the electric company.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Please keep going we are in the talking about it phase.

Comment

Very interesting so far

Comment

Following!

Comment

How many square feet of solar panel is needed to produce 1000 KWH per month in a grid tie system? That would be about half of my average usage at home. Would it be all of my roof or what? I have a 2400 ft2 single story home. How long would the payback period be if I am paying 10 cents per KW? In other words, is it worth the investment?

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
                              How many square feet of solar panel is needed to produce 1000 KWH per month in a grid tie system? That would be about half of my average usage at home. Would it be all of my roof or what? I have a 2400 ft2 single story home. How long would the payback period be if I am paying 10 cents per KW? In other words, is it worth the investment?

It would be best for you to have a rep come out to your house and actually take some measurements as they can give you a MUCH better idea if it is worth the investment for you. There are LOT more variables involved than the ones you listed. Things like roof pitch, direction the roof is angled at, efficiency of the panels a company uses, and even where you are located all play in to the equations. Which, right now with the pain killers I'm on, it's a bit more than I can figure out with correct numbers in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X