ammunition disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ammunition disposal

I bought a box of 45 colt ammo at a gun show and the guy loaded them with the wrong amount of powder. luckily I only shot one round thru it and noticed the sound and recoil seemed off. the bullet was wedged 3/4 of the way down the 5.5" barrel of my revolver. I shot a second test round thru a shorter 3.5" barrel pistol and it barely made it out, but clearly had the same lack of noise and recoil.

all of box is the same way, so the ammo is unsafe to shoot.

I don't want to risk someone accidentally using this and causing an accident.
    what is the best way to dispose of this ammo

happy to give it to someone who reloads if you have a way to reuse the casings or bullets

thx

Pull the bullets out and build a fire with the powder.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Pull the bullets out and build a fire with the powder.
      This

Comment

My son learned the hard way about buying re-loads at a gun show too. Listens to his Dad now....don't.

Comment

I've got a box of 45's as well from a company who sells reman ammo that had a squib half way through the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I only purchase factory ammo from a gun show, or the components. That some scary stuff!

Comment

Academy has the kinetic pullers, pull it, dump powder in yard, and do whatever with the brass.

Comment

Dump the powder out use it to make a fire or whatever use the brass as blanks (noise makers) and idk about the bullets

Comment

Yeah, I never buy handloads from gun shows and I won''t shoot anyone elses handloads either. Not even my fathers's. He's getting up there in age and I don't trust his concentration anymore.

Comment

Dig a deep hole

Comment

Hole or trash ?

Comment

Many years ago we were moving from one house to another. While cleaning the shed, I found several boxes of old shotgun shells. At that time, I hadn't hunted for several years, and I couldn't remember when/how I got the shells. I didn't know how I was going to dispose of the ammo when I got an idea to call the EOD (bomb disposal) office at the local police department. It took a few phone calls, but I was finally put in touch with their Lieutenant. I asked his advice and he said he would be glad to have the ammo for training purposes. He sent an officer over to my house and he picked up the entire amount (several boxes). I don't know if the PD would still do this or not, but it might be worth a try.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Pull the bullets, burn the powder, give them to someone that reloads. No since in wasting brass and pulled bullets.

Comment

Working...
                          X