No announcement yet.

Thinking about ducking hunting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post up where you live or hunt and I'm sure somebody in your area will offer to go with you and help you out. Hell, I might depending on where you are.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

All of the above.

You'll also need a federal duck stamp and HIP certification with your license.

Comment

Your friends are lying...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s some of the most fun hunting I’ve ever had. I got linked up with a guide when i first started and he became a good friend of our family. Unfortunately he passed away in Feb and I just haven’t been as excited for this year without him in the blind

I’m gonna try and hunt public this year, I don’t have a boat but can get off morning during the week easy so hoping to be able to score some birds without battle huge crowds

Learn from others, don’t call because you won’t know why you’re doing, being a fishing rod with a top water lure and punch the barbs down

Going with a guide or someone who already hunts ducks a lot is worth it just to see a good dog work, it’s one of my favorite things about it
          Last edited by hooligan; 11-16-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Looks like youre close enough to me that youre more than welcome to tag along any time this season. Ill usually almost always have an open invite for anyone on TBH.

Fair warning, all I hunt is public land so birds are no guarantee but I do okay. Just about everyone I hunt ducks with is a TBHer now that I think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
              Pick me, pick me!

Seriously though, youll learn so much more from one hunt with someone than you will asking questions on here.

I would say basic fundamental that is a necessity is Bird ID. Starting out solo, its gonna be really tough as it took me about 2 seasons to get to where I could ID them confidently while flying.

I hope youre rich, cause duck hunting will make ya poor
              You and bird ID in the same sentence...WHAT!?!

Comment

Shoot them on the water to save shells

Comment

Originally posted by ctyp3 View Post
                  I've never been duck hunting and hear from a lot of buddies how fun it is... Well with my lease being kind of slow this year and I've been seeing tons of ducks on our ponds, I'm thinking about trying it. Whats the things I need and need to know about it? Thanks for any advice.
                  Good luck. I've never been mad enough at ducks to get out and want to deal with amount of regulations those things have. It's like duck hunting is a ticket waiting to happen.

Comment

If you’re just wanting to pop a few, hunting on ponds should be like shooting fish in a barrel, and would be a lot of fun!

Comment

Sleep in. Let them land on your tank. Sneak up and start shooting.

Comment

Friend of mine is an avid duck hunter, as is his 18yr old son. He says get them interested, they won't have any money for drugs.
                        Last edited by double bogey; 11-16-2017, 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          Friend of mine is an avid duck hunter, as is his 18yr old son. He says get them interested, they won't have any money for drugs.

Duck hunting may be worse than a drug addiction.

I can’t really describe why it’s so much fun and addicting. Everyone should experience having a flock totally committed and dropping into the decoys.

All god advice above. It’s really nice to go with someone with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                            Post up where you live or hunt and I'm sure somebody in your area will offer to go with you and help you out. Hell, I might depending on where you are.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                            I live in Slidell Tx and hunt in Young County near Jean.

Comment

Lots of good advice in here! I'm hoping to make my first hunt this season as well. I gotta see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeaustin View Post
                                Sleep in. Let them land on your tank. Sneak up and start shooting.
                                This

Comment

Working...
                                X