Thinking about ducking hunting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about ducking hunting....

I've never been duck hunting and hear from a lot of buddies how fun it is... Well with my lease being kind of slow this year and I've been seeing tons of ducks on our ponds, I'm thinking about trying it. Whats the things I need and need to know about it? Thanks for any advice.

Make sure you know what kind of ducks you are shooting. You can only have certain numbers of some species in your limit of 6 a day.

Comment

they will always land into the wind, set up with the wind to your back and do some scouting and then shoot them in the face.

Comment

You can’t shoot lead shot and you don’t want to go swimming to retrieve them.

Comment

You need to go with someone who knows what they are doing

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            This.... There are a lot of rules and regulations when it comes to waterfowl. Bird ID being the biggest one. Must shoot non-toxic shot, 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset are legal hours, Ducks see the same colors we do so camo is extremely important, they land and take off into the wind, need decoys, no more than 3 shells in your gun.....

Comment

Yeah I was just on this page looking it up once I posted it.

Comment

Smaller size tank you can use a dozen or less decoys.
                Be set up 30 minutes before day light.
                Learn to identify ducks in flight.
                Waders/hip boots or you can use a fishing pole with top water lure if youre good.
                If you don't know how to call, don't. Even then less is more.
                Mojo's are good for early seaon, late in the seaon dont even bother.
                Set the decoys up to give you your best shooting opprotunity and work the wind.
                Wind at your back, at all times.
                Cover up completely, least amount of bare skin possible.
                Dont move until you're ready to shoot.
                Dont sky blast, wait for the birds to come in to land, they may circle 4-5 times before committing.
                Steel shot only size depends on the birds youre hunting.
                Questions on different decoy set ups, shoot me a pm.

Comment

Get there in plenty of time before shooting light to get set up

Comment

If at all possible, wind AND sun at your back. And use a more open choke than you would with lead shot.

Lot of good info above. Remember, less is better. These ducks have been flying up to 7,000 miles to get to Texas and have been shot at the whole way. By the time they get here they've seen all sorts of decoy spreads and learned to tell the difference between a duck and dude with an acrylic call. Less is better by the time they get here.

Comment

Carry a fishing pole to get the ones too deep to retrieve.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Pick me, pick me!

Seriously though, youll learn so much more from one hunt with someone than you will asking questions on here.

I would say basic fundamental that is a necessity is Bird ID. Starting out solo, its gonna be really tough as it took me about 2 seasons to get to where I could ID them confidently while flying.

I hope youre rich, cause duck hunting will make ya poor

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                          Pick me, pick me!

Seriously though, youll learn so much more from one hunt with someone than you will asking questions on here.

I would say basic fundamental that is a necessity is Bird ID. Starting out solo, its gonna be really tough as it took me about 2 seasons to get to where I could ID them confidently while flying.

Last statement is very true... almost as bad as bass fishing

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                            Pick me, pick me!

OH GREAT!!!! All I need is another expensive hobby! I'm far from RICH!!!! AND I LOVE BASS FISHING!!!!

Sounds like I need to go with someone or take someone... The IDing part sounds like it will be tough...

Comment

Working...
                            X