Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boppers are used to strike flakes of, an Ishi stick and pressure flakers are used to push flakes off. The Ishi sticks are usually 18" or longer so you can really build up some force. Mine use a short piece of copper grounding wire as the tips. Ishi stick:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170222_212634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	24485990

Short pressure flaker:Click image for larger version

Name:	20170222_212553.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	24485991

Horse shoe nails are also commonly used for really small detailed stuff and notching. The points of both these tools need to be kept fairly sharp and pointed. Mine needs reshaped in these pics., haven't done maintenance on them in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
      Boppers are used to strike flakes of, an Ishi stick and pressure flakers are used to push flakes off. The Ishi sticks are usually 18" or longer so you can really build up some force. Mine use a short piece of copper grounding wire as the tips. Ishi stick:

[ATTACH]842627[/ATTACH]

Short pressure flaker:[ATTACH]842628[/ATTACH]

Horse shoe nails are also commonly used for really small detailed stuff and notching. The points of both these tools need to be kept fairly sharp and pointed. Mine needs reshaped in these pics., haven't done maintenance on them in a while.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine are almost identical to bassmatt72

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
          Mine are almost identical to bassmatt72
          Your tools do better work than mine!

Comment

Mine are a bit more primitive than Matt's, and don't to as good of work. In my case, it's more the nut behind the hammerstone holding me back than it is the stone itself

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
              Your tools do better work than mine!
              Naw, we all start somewhere. My first points were made from the bottoms of beer bottles.

Comment

Finally arrived in San Antonio (25 miles north). Drove from Las Cruces New Mexico in one day. We got pushed by a strong S by SW wind so it made the trip a bit easier. Will take a day or two to get settled in and look for some knapping rock.

Comment

There is some great stuff in that area, north and west of San Antonio. You may try looking around the Guadalupe river.

Comment

Raw rocks:

Name:	20170222_144220.jpg
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	24486054
                    Worked into flakes, rough bifaces, and cooked and uncooked cleaner bifaces:

Name:	20170222_161254.jpg
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	24486055
                    Loaded into flat rate box and sent to Jason!!! Only thing I ask is you work some into points and post how it works and your progress!:

Name:	20170222_162011.jpg
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	24486056

Comment

Some early points. Now I'm going fishing and it will be late tonight before I get home!

Name:	20170123_204215.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24486059

Comment

Wow, thanks Matt! That'll give me plenty to play with. I've got a knife show this weekend in Abilene. Plan on putting some of my knapped stuff on the table to give away to kids and get folks to stop and talk. I've got 25 points all under 2" or so. They're crude enough that I don't mind handing them out for free

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                          Finally arrived in San Antonio (25 miles north). Drove from Las Cruces New Mexico in one day. We got pushed by a strong S by SW wind so it made the trip a bit easier. Will take a day or two to get settled in and look for some knapping rock.
                          Welcome back to Texas! Let us know how rock hunting goes!

Comment

Ok, I'm not the most experienced knapper on here but willing to share information. So, here we go. We briefly touched on "platforms" earlier, platforms, as Jason mentioned, is the area where flakes are knocked or pushed off. Here are some pics. of platforms. The black dot is where we want to strike the platform.

Name:	20170116_141618 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	24486083

Name:	20170125_140835.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24486084

Comment

Knappable material "breaks" at a certain angle creating a Hertzian cone, the BB hitting a window example. Here is an illustration from "The Art of Flint Knapping" by D.C. Waldorf.

Name:	20170224_204609.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	24486092
                              Then here is a series of pictures showing a flake I removed. Also, flakes tend to follow ridges.

Name:	20170117_221929.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	24486088 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170117_221939.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	24486089

Name:	20170117_222115.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	24486090 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170117_222127.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	24486091

Comment

I have thousands of pounds of good stone , stuff from all over the country , also a bunch of slab material. Was into it many years ago and only do a few points a year now. Could do some trading for it if anyone is interested. I'm basically interested in anything outdoors related hunting and fishing...

,,,Sam,,,

Comment

Working...
                                X