No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

went out to Unit 1 on Sat, just drove around to see what it looked like. very open, i like it. saw a few deer.

Comment

Getting pretty excited. My 12 yo and I will be in unit 8 the first weekend of December. I believe we drew "parking cone" B & E.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
        Getting pretty excited. My 12 yo and I will be in unit 8 the first weekend of December. I believe we drew "parking cone" B & E.

Any thoughts?
        we will be in unit 7 the first weekend of december.

Comment

Scouted Unit 7 this evening. I cannot get to our parking cone in our 2wd pickup.
          Couldn't even get near it. The roads are too steep and the gravel too loose. We are going to skip the hunt
          and probably go to the ranch in Pleasanton.
          If anyone is interested, there will be a standby hunt available for the youth hunt.
          Our cone is/was I, way in the back. You will need 4wd.

Here is a pic near cone A:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut Bank RS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24264062

Comment

we will be in unit 7
            I reached cones A, B, D & E. Could probably get to C.
            I did not try the north route, but getting to H, I & J won't happen in a 2wd on the other 2 routes.
            Cannot say about F & G, but I don't have more time to try the north route.
            We have plenty of deer in Pleasanton.

Comment

In Unit 7 December 6, 7, and 8

I scouted last weekend and I REALLY needed my 4WD. Hit one spot where I just turned around because it was straight down on rock.

Lots of hog sign and some nice game trails, but it was hard to tell if they were being used by hogs or deer. Thinking more hogs since after 50 to 100 yards off the road, there was almost always a few wallows.

Good luck all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Scouted Unit 7 this evening. I cannot get to our parking cone in our 2wd pickup.
                Couldn't even get near it. The roads are too steep and the gravel too loose. We are going to skip the hunt
                and probably go to the ranch in Pleasanton.
                If anyone is interested, there will be a standby hunt available for the youth hunt.
                Our cone is/was I, way in the back. You will need 4wd.

Here is a pic near cone A:
                [ATTACH]570952[/ATTACH]
                I took this exact same picture this past Monday. We got all the way to cone F in two wheel drive on the west side road. Came back down the same way you tried and it was definitely steep.

Comment

anyone have any luck on the youth hunt??

Comment

I thought they allowed 4 wheelers out there

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                      I thought they allowed 4 wheelers out there
                      they do but ya gotta have the state tag, helmet, etc.

Comment

Blind is setup ... Hopefully the front gets thru in the AM tomorrow and gives me a few decent sessions without raining too heavy. Seen a nice buck and 3 does from where I setup... Hopefully they make the same series of errors every morning.

Comment

We are looking for cheap azz hotel near unit #8.

Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Timemachine View Post
                            We are looking for cheap azz hotel near unit #8.

Suggestions?
                            cheap and Lago Vista dont go together. lol

Comment

try Leander Cedar Park area, its not a bad drive out there from there. theres a La Quinta on 183 and 1431.

TimeMachine, "B" is a good spot. pigs moving from west to east on your cone when i hunted, dont have any experiences with "E". Unit 8 has a rough rocky hill climb on the enterance. check pages 1 and 2 on here i have some other info on that unit.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                                Blind is setup ... Hopefully the front gets thru in the AM tomorrow and gives me a few decent sessions without raining too heavy. Seen a nice buck and 3 does from where I setup... Hopefully they make the same series of errors every morning.
                                good luck, keep us updated, there should be good movement this weekend with the weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X