Lost my private spot, now in need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
    Man, I sure am glad the men make most of the important decisions in my family.
    I was thinking the same thing man , I would say family 1st / but most importantly I would just follow my own path. Go look for you a lease or PHL , Thats all I hunt is PHL kill bucks every year . Good luck man.

Comment

Honestly, I would just give the FIL a call and talk. Just tell him exactly what is going on and tell him how you feel in a calm and relaxed manner. Communication is key.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
        Ok, it's starting to make a bit more sense. The MIL, is a step MIL and since the FIL is out of town, his daughters husband (you) are getting the shaft. I don't think he knows what's going on.

I wouldn't have the conversation with the FIL, have your wife do it. It seems apparent that the FIL is in the dark since he asked you to do some work. Have your woman fix this so you don't have to be the bad guy.
        X2....Or find another place

Comment

If the FIL agrees with his wife, that would settle it for me. I would not want to be somewhere that I'm not welcome.

Comment

How big is the property?

Comment

Old Sabine Bottom (WMA)
              Phone: (903) 881-8233
              Fax: (903) 882-9093
              Address:
              21187 CR 4106
              Lindale, TX 75771

I have not hunted this place in 20 years but when I was young (broke) i hunted it several years.
              took a deer every year and lots of hogs

Comment

Here is another thought, The MIL and FIL feel you only come out to enjoy the place and you don't pull your weight with the "chores", which you admit. Friend says hey I'll hook you up with pest control and help you out around the ranch if you don't mind me hunting. So far the friend has only worked on his hunting stuff. The MIL is getting the feeling you are upset at the situation. The FIL calls your wife and expresses his interest in you going down to the ranch to make a true contribution to the ranch not just for your personal gain and pull your wait. And you are upset that they don't want to give you the goods for free?
                Sounds to me the FIL is giving you a way back to the #1 seed in the hunting order. If it were me and I couldn't afford another hunting property then I would pack up and be down there bright and early and work until they said stop. I wouldn't even mention the hunting situation at this time. I would show that I am willing to pull my weight in the "family" like everyone else to enjoy the property.
                You have two options, pay for your hunting with hot in the sun manual labor or cash somewhere else. Just because you married into the family doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

Just my .02, and how I was raised. Hopefully this sheds light in a different direction for you. Wasn't meant to be a bash. Also I wouldn't put your wife in the middle, it will only create tension. Put your boots and gloves on and go fix the situation yourself, He is giving you the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                  Honestly, I would just give the FIL a call and talk. Just tell him exactly what is going on and tell him how you feel in a calm and relaxed manner. Communication is key.
                  I agree. To be direct and not rude... it appears that a lack of direct communication between you and your FIL is perpetuating your woes.

Free hunt land is free hunt land. You cant eat antlers. Keep your spot...Slay a mess of does and sling cat poop under the feeder after your done...bucks might not want to come around after the punnani has disappeared come rifle season and the area smells of blood, guts and cat scat.

I get the distinct feeling that your wife and FILs wife dont jive very well.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Here is another thought, The MIL and FIL feel you only come out to enjoy the place and you don't pull your weight with the "chores", which you admit. Friend says hey I'll hook you up with pest control and help you out around the ranch if you don't mind me hunting. So far the friend has only worked on his hunting stuff. The MIL is getting the feeling you are upset at the situation. The FIL calls your wife and expresses his interest in you going down to the ranch to make a true contribution to the ranch not just for your personal gain and pull your wait. And you are upset that they don't want to give you the goods for free?
                    Sounds to me the FIL is giving you a way back to the #1 seed in the hunting order. If it were me and I couldn't afford another hunting property then I would pack up and be down there bright and early and work until they said stop. I wouldn't even mention the hunting situation at this time. I would show that I am willing to pull my weight in the "family" like everyone else to enjoy the property.
                    You have two options, pay for your hunting with hot in the sun manual labor or cash somewhere else. Just because you married into the family doesn't automatically entitle you to anything.

Just my .02, and how I was raised. Hopefully this sheds light in a different direction for you. Wasn't meant to be a bash. Also I wouldn't put your wife in the middle, it will only create tension. Put your boots and gloves on and go fix the situation yourself, He is giving you the opportunity.
                    Kactus - I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But, you're also making the point I failed to make in my original post, probably because I was upset.

Here's the thing. I'm not actually mad that someone who provided a good or service to my FIL is now getting 'top spot.' I mean, I could be mad, but that'd be childish. What I'm upset about with regard to the whole thing is that, apparently, a new 'ok you have to earn it' system was installed without anyone telling me. If they had said, 'hey Miles, look, we don't have that many deer we want killed and some other folks want to hunt. You're family and we'd like to let you have first crack, but they're really working hard...' I'd have been down there in a heartbeat.

I've always understood that I have no rights on the property, I only get the privilege of hunting. It can be yanked at any time. My problem is that this situation was sold to me as 'fair.' And, 'fair to the property owners and the new guy' is not an adequate definition of fair if I'm being looped in. Now, hold on everyone - life's not fair, I get that. Not my point. I'm saying someone specifically said the words to me, 'he did all this work, so it's fair.' That doesn't make sense, because it assumes I actively chose to not do work or earn my keep while assuming that I was entitled to something. That's just...not the case. So, I'm not trying to stomp my foot and whine and say I didn't get my way. I'm saying I'm getting my leg p****d on and someone is telling me it's raining.

Comment

This ^

Comment

Sounds like the mil has some extra courriclior activities going on.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                          Kactus - I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But, you're also making the point I failed to make in my original post, probably because I was upset.

Here's the thing. I'm not actually mad that someone who provided a good or service to my FIL is now getting 'top spot.' I mean, I could be mad, but that'd be childish. What I'm upset about with regard to the whole thing is that, apparently, a new 'ok you have to earn it' system was installed without anyone telling me. If they had said, 'hey Miles, look, we don't have that many deer we want killed and some other folks want to hunt. You're family and we'd like to let you have first crack, but they're really working hard...' I'd have been down there in a heartbeat.

I've always understood that I have no rights on the property, I only get the privilege of hunting. It can be yanked at any time. My problem is that this situation was sold to me as 'fair.' And, 'fair to the property owners and the new guy' is not an adequate definition of fair if I'm being looped in. Now, hold on everyone - life's not fair, I get that. Not my point. I'm saying someone specifically said the words to me, 'he did all this work, so it's fair.' That doesn't make sense, because it assumes I actively chose to not do work or earn my keep while assuming that I was entitled to something. That's just...not the case. So, I'm not trying to stomp my foot and whine and say I didn't get my way. I'm saying I'm getting my leg p****d on and someone is telling me it's raining.
                          I can see where you are coming from, but
                          From my point of view as a "country boy" raised on a ranch. They shouldn't have to tell yo that you have to pull your weight. It should be understood, you enjoy the family land you work on the family land.
                          Reading your posts I think you know that, you just weren't following through. My point is that instead of picking up and leaving, which is going to cause hard feelings in the family, buckle up and get to work. Will keep peace in the family and you'll get what you want, to hunt for free. Win Win all the way around. Will earn you some brownie points with the wife and Inlaws.
                          Last edited by KactusKiller; 09-15-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

This. They threw you a bone, albeit indirectly.

As you said, it would have been nice had they just said that. But they didn't. Oh well, go get some work done for them, let them know how much you appreciated being able to hunt there for free the past few years, and move on.

After reading all the posts, if I owned the land, I probably would have done exactly what your in laws are doing. They aren't going to tell you to do work for them, it has to be a decision you arrive at on your own.

Comment

Good luck in whatever you decide to do but my advise is to stick with it and put some sweat into it, on the flip side I would start looking for alternatives in case I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
                                Sounds like the mil has some extra courriclior activities going on.
                                This crossed my mind as well....

Comment

Working...
                                X