sniped an axis buck @ 68 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Travissalinas View Post
    thanks Jesse, you and Kramer headed to kansas?
    Too funny - I never saw this! Yes, as I'm sure you know we went. And that boy Kramer can't handle the buck fever!!!

I'm just a bad shot. Great trip though. Kramer going back this year. I can't get away this time.

We are going to baker 3 first w/e of june and hoping to have luck as good as yours!! Hopefully we shoot a little better this trip! Lol

Still a great story. I stuck a good one on our place last May but must have barely been behind/below lungs. Thought I hit him perfect at a whopping 17 yds. I was so mad - knew I should have just hammered right thru shoulder for heart shot...

Hope all is well if u see this!

Comment

Originally posted by jmiles95 View Post
      Too funny - I never saw this! Yes, as I'm sure you know we went. And that boy Kramer can't handle the buck fever!!!

I'm just a bad shot. Great trip though. Kramer going back this year. I can't get away this time.

We are going to baker 3 first w/e of june and hoping to have luck as good as yours!! Hopefully we shoot a little better this trip! Lol

Still a great story. I stuck a good one on our place last May but must have barely been behind/below lungs. Thought I hit him perfect at a whopping 17 yds. I was so mad - knew I should have just hammered right thru shoulder for heart shot...

Hope all is well if u see this!
      Not any kind of authority on axis at all but I have shot 2 different bucks with a bow and hit them about mid way up the body and both have gone less then 100 yards. After both shots I though I hit too high but they both put out massive amounts of lung blood and died almost instantly. I think their vitals sit a little higher then a WT from what I have seen. I could be wrong, just a sample size of 2. Good luck.

Comment

Thank - I agree with you. I think their vitals are further forward and a little higher. Much more of a triangle shape target and a little smaller than WT. After I hit that doe a bit far back at KJO, I decided I wouldn't make that mistake again...at least I thought I did.

The doe was spring of 2010. Fall of 2010 I abosutely drilled an axis spike out of stand I hit bigger one in. He was 17 yards broadside and I plowed thru both shoulders. Heart and lung both. He barely made it 30 yds. Awesome. My arrow shattered and I never even found the broadhead, but clean pass thru.

So May of 2010 and I'm after a decent axis buck we have been seeing, maybe 25" or a little more. Solid buck. He comes in and gives me exact same shot as spike at 17 yds, except facing opposite direction. He was so much bigger body than spike I talked myself into not putting it right on his shoulder for heart. I put it at most 6" behind his shoulder about 1/3 up from bottom of chest. Hit right where I was aiming. Dead buck I told myself. Really thought I had him. Waited an hour anyway. My brother and I ran out of blood bout 80 yds in. I called Kelton and he came to help so by then was 2 hrs. Not much blood. Plain red on arrow. Finally found a spot over 100 yds out that was encouraging, but that was about the end of it. We trailed him over a fence and for a good 500 yds before completely lost what little blood we were seeing. He did throw up stomach contents. Couple big areas of his barf. No blood in it. I'm convinced I didn't kill him unless he got fever or infection.

Never saw him or his 2-yr old running buddy again afterward though. They both were regulars. I think I hit right behind and below vitals, but in front of gut. After this experience I did a fair bit of studying what I could find on vitals location for exotics. I came to a few conclusions.

1. Their vitals sit much further forward in their body than WT.
        2. Perfect broadside isn't as great a shot as you would think. Less margin for error than a quartering shot that opens up vitals better. (duh) Quartering shots also increase your cutting area - if 12" straight across, you cut more on a diagonal.
        3. I'm going heart shot on axis going forward. Seems like best bet given location of vitals.

I love discussing this stuff and learning from others.

Comment

Heys its not luck if you practice at 68.... Congrats

Comment

Thank - I agree with you. I think their vitals are further forward and a little higher. Much more of a triangle shape target and a little smaller than WT. After I hit that doe a bit far back at KJO, I decided I wouldn't make that mistake again...at least I thought I did.

The doe was spring of 2010. Fall of 2010 I abosutely drilled an axis spike out of stand I hit bigger one in. He was 17 yards broadside and I plowed thru both shoulders. Heart and lung both. He barely made it 30 yds. Awesome. My arrow shattered and I never even found the broadhead, but clean pass thru.

So May of 2010 and I'm after a decent axis buck we have been seeing, maybe 25" or a little more. Solid buck. He comes in and gives me exact same shot as spike at 17 yds, except facing opposite direction. He was so much bigger body than spike I talked myself into not putting it right on his shoulder for heart. I put it at most 6" behind his shoulder about 1/3 up from bottom of chest. Hit right where I was aiming. Dead buck I told myself. Really thought I had him. Waited an hour anyway. My brother and I ran out of blood bout 80 yds in. I called Kelton and he came to help so by then was 2 hrs. Not much blood. Plain red on arrow. Finally found a spot over 100 yds out that was encouraging, but that was about the end of it. We trailed him over a fence and for a good 500 yds before completely lost what little blood we were seeing. He did throw up stomach contents. Couple big areas of his barf. No blood in it. I'm convinced I didn't kill him unless he got fever or infection.

Never saw him or his 2-yr old running buddy again afterward though. They both were regulars. I think I hit right behind and below vitals, but in front of gut. After this experience I did a fair bit of studying what I could find on vitals location for exotics. I came to a few conclusions.

1. Their vitals sit much further forward in their body than WT.
            2. Perfect broadside isn't as great a shot as you would think. Less margin for error than a quartering shot that opens up vitals better. (duh) Quartering shots also increase your cutting area - if 12" straight across, you cut more on a diagonal.
            3. I'm going heart shot on axis going forward. Seems like best bet given location of vitals.

I love discussing this stuff and learning from others.
            That axis Doe at KJO sure looked like a kill shot. I was blown away it went as far as it did and wasn't recovered. Good luck at Baker Ranch. It's beautiful out there.

Comment

Thanks man. Keith said that doe was still running around 3 days later. Sounds like she didn't die! At least not from my shot.

Comment

What pasture at Baker 3 did you get that Buck on? Baker 3 is awesome place been there a few times and had success.

Comment

Thanks man. Keith said that doe was still running around 3 days later. Sounds like she didn't die! At least not from my shot.
                  if Slice would have been 100% i think that doe would have bit the dust due to a jack russell hanging off of her windpipe.

Comment

Great read and congrats

Comment

ditto

Comment

nice buck

Comment

nice shooting!

Comment

been trying to practice out at further distances in preparation for upcoming caribou trip. felling confident in the event of an 80 yd shot. however i am struggling at the century mark. hopefully can get closer to seal the deal

Comment

Huntin deer with dawgs, awsome!

Comment

Nice buck and nice shot. The best part is that an Axis is a great eating deer. How long was the longest beam?

Comment

Working...
                                X