Canon Telephoto Lens Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Telephoto Lens Discussion

Been researching telephoto lenses online to go along with my new 80D. Trying not to break the bank, as I'm still new to the photography game. Here are the two I've been looking at:

EF 70-300 F4-5.6 IS USM
    Has IS which is a nice feature, and is only $449 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm.../dp/B0007Y794O

EF 70-200 F4L UM
    L series lens (top of the line). No IS, but seems to be better build quality and fixed F4. $599 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm...+ef+70-200+f4l

Thoughts on these, or other suggestions in this price range?

The 70-200 f/4L is a great lens. The other kit lens isn't bad, but it's not an L. You can find the 70-200 used for less than new prices fairly easily as well. That would be my recommendation if you want the best lens for the money in that price range.

Get a $30 monopod, and you have your IS.

Comment

Really hit or miss with the 70-300.
      Wanna try it? PM me. I work around 59 & Aldine Mail Rt.

Comment

L aLL day Long.

You'LL thank me Later.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          L aLL day Long.

You'LL thank me Later.
          ^^This^^

Comment

Thanks or the replies. Keeping an eye on a couple used L series lenses on ebay.

Comment

Another good place to look for used gear is in the classified forum at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

In fact, here's a 70-200mm f/4L right now for $475......

Comment

You can also check some of the big retailers like KEH and B&H Photo. They have large used departments. I'd call them because good lenses don't stay on the shelves for very long.

Comment

Snagged up a 70-22 F/4L on ebay last night after some wheelin' & dealin'

Can't wait to try it out!

Comment

70-300 while not a bad lens, it's nothing compared to other higher quality lenses. I used to have the 70-200 and that lens was awesome. Build quality, IQ, sharpness, color vibrance, hate that I don't have it anymore. I would spend the extra and get the IS unless you plan on shooting from a tripod.

Comment

Another telephoto comparison discussion, if I really want to reach out there, without spending thousands.....

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon $869

vs

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF $989

Specs on these two look almost identical. Anyone have either? Curious if these hold a candle to the Canon lenses, without having to sell a kidney or two.

Comment

I have the Tamron, it is my "go to" wildlife lens. I love it, but it does have some limitations. You can search the photography section and see some of the shots I've got with it.

Comment

I sold my Tamron 150-600 in the past 6 months. Very good lens for me. I know David (Snakelover) had problems with two of the ones they had and sold one. He now shoots the Sigma. You can get the Tamron version 1 very cheap now and the version with a few added features for a little over $1300 I believe. If I were to need one again I would go with the version 2 this time.

Comment

My vote... Canon 70 - 200 f4 L if you really want a zoom.

Or.... this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mm_f_2_8L.html

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
                              Another telephoto comparison discussion, if I really want to reach out there, without spending thousands.....

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens for Canon $869

vs

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF $989

Specs on these two look almost identical. Anyone have either? Curious if these hold a candle to the Canon lenses, without having to sell a kidney or two.
                              You can look at my instagram page. LeftridgePhotos 90% shot on a Sigma 150-600.. I can't say enough good things. Most on my 70D.. It's even better on my 5DM4..

Comment

Working...
                              X