X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yuck walmanized wood smoke

Our maid is from Honduras and gracefully brought us some homemade tamales
    Wrapped in banana leaves and baked / berried in a wood pit
    Only problem is after tasting them I think she used treated wood " tasted one and tried see if dogs would eat em, no go "
    They are now in my trash, me no habla espanol , she no speak English
    I really need to kindly explain treated wood is dangerous

We were grilling burgers one time at the ranch and my uncle stoked the fire with dried cedar. Same result - yuck! Sorry for your troubles.

Comment

Treated wood contains arsenic. Not good at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        Treated wood contains arsenic. Not good at all!
        Depends on which treatment was used. Older treated lumber could have arsenic in it. Most common treatments today are MCA (micronized copper azole) & Borate (combination of boron and oxygen) MCA & Borate treatments are approved for use where human exposure is frequent & do not contain volatile organic compounds, but I wouldn't smoke tamales with either!

Comment

Back in the 90s I had a lady form Guatamala working for me. At Christmas she surprised me with a batch of her tamales. They were absolutely horrible. She was so nice and a great worker, so I lied to her about how great they were.

Comment

I thought all tamales were horrible. Who knew ?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Back in the 90s I had a lady form Guatamala working for me. At Christmas she surprised me with a batch of her tamales. They were absolutely horrible. She was so nice and a great worker, so I lied to her about how great they were.
              I chose to believe God understands the meaning not the method of this kindness lol

Comment

We participated in making 30 dozen a week ago and it was hard work. I will gladly pay for them next time. While they were delicious, MyFitnessPal killed the buzz when I found out they were like 350 calories each.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                  We participated in making 30 dozen a week ago and it was hard work. I will gladly pay for them next time. While they were delicious, MyFitnessPal killed the buzz when I found out they were like 350 calories each.
                  Oh, but so worth it!

Comment

Ingesting walmanized would smoke will make you babies be born naked...Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                      Ingesting walmanized would smoke will make you babies be born naked...Just sayin'
                      And gave me horrible heartburn

I really appreciate her efforts and man o man did the banana leaf wrapped pork and plantain smoked tamales look good
                      I am going to take her over some pecan wood next batch she makes

The path to hell is paved with good intentions

Comment

Walmanized, womanized, or treated. Don’t ever burn that wood anywhere near people. Especially don’t ever cook with it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X