No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot of eye-opening stories here. Here's a couple more...

Good friend has a small HF place with exotics, and guides day hunts. He had an exceptional border collie that learned to bloodtrail. He's taking a couple bowhunters to their stands for the evening and they spot some hogs in a brushpile. They don't have a clean shot at the hogs and meanwhile the dog is circling the brushpile. He says hold on, I'll go back to the house and get my hog-hunting dogs. They don't wait. They arrow bounces off and hits the dog in the mouth, severing it's tongue. The vet had to put him down.

Another dog story I heard a couple weeks ago; landowner has 2 blue healers with bobtails and collars. Guest hunter from Dallas, a biology teacher, sees a coyote and shoots it. I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by scissorhands View Post
      this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
      I did chuckle a bit during this video, but its so terrible!

I really dont understand how some people can be so irresponsible, at least thats what I will call it! If I was not 200% sure and triple triple check what I am shooting at, then I would never take the shot. Thats all part of being a responsible hunter.

If someone is nice enough to invite anyone else to private land and let them hunt, then follow the rules, I really dont understand what is so hard about it. If not 200% sure of the target then its better to walk away and maybe get the chance to come back vs stealing from the land owner because they are irresponsible hunters.

Sorry - RANT OVER!

Comment

About 5 years ago I took my wife and son hunting at my uncles place at mountain home. That morning I took my son out and we saw several deer and once one really nice doe cleared the others I told him to shoot and bam my son had killed his first deer. After everyone congratulated him my uncle asked if my wife would like to hunt that evening. She said yes she would like to try and take her first ever deer as well.
        I was really excited since my son had gotten his first and now my wife was hopefully going to take her first as well. Since there were axis coming in we had the green light to take a wt spike or doe or an axis doe. That evening we had about ten axis come in and I looked them over with the binos and then told her which one to shoot. She pulled the trigger and I saw the axis drop and we were both very excited, that is until we got up to it and I see nubs under the skin. I felt horrible because she did a perfect job and I screwed up. I told my uncle what happened and he was fine with it and mainly just happy to see my wife and son both get their first deer the same day. I did take the hides and have them tanned . Learned a lesson that day to check and then recheck before the shot is taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug's_Optics View Post

I really dont understand how some people can be so irresponsible, at least thats what I will call it! If I was not 200% sure and triple triple check what I am shooting at, then I would never take the shot. Thats all part of being a responsible hunter.

If someone is nice enough to invite anyone else to private land and let them hunt, then follow the rules, I really dont understand what is so hard about it. If not 200% sure of the target then its better to walk away and maybe get the chance to come back vs stealing from the land owner because they are irresponsible hunters.

Sorry - RANT OVER!
          That video was faked.

Mistakes happen even when you are as careful as possible. Its the blatant disregard for the laws, rules, etc that I just cant understand. Especially when someone takes a shot at something that they arent 100% sure of like killing the heeler in the post above. No way in heck you could make that mistake if you knew your target. Sounds like an "I saw movement behind a bush" kinda deal.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Comment

this is why all guest at our lease must sit next to a paying lease member. Does not guarantee a mistake will never be made but seldom does one happen when a lease member is with the guest. I have been on leases where guest got to sit by themselves and I cannot tell you how many mistakes were made.

Comment

Had a guy last year that we trusted shoot his target buck high in the back with a bow and not tell us about it.

He then went on to shoot another deer.

Didn't find out until after he was gone and we found the first deer.

That's not really a mistake on his part, but a mistake on ours.

The Pope couldn't hunt by himself on my place now.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug's_Optics View Post

Sorry - RANT OVER!
                It's a funny video, it's actually a prank though! The person who was suppose to shoot the buck really shot it and they were messing with either the biologist or one of there buddy's that wasn't there

Edit: I see someone already said that

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  Had a guy last year that we trusted shoot his target buck high in the back with a bow and not tell us about it.

Sounds expensive! How did that mistake work out for the trusted hunter?

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                    Sounds expensive! How did that mistake work out for the trusted hunter?
                    He isn't coming back.

Comment

I suspect that exact same thing happened on our place. Deer hunting brings out the shadiness in everyone!

Comment

Just bringing this back up for the new season.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                          Just bringing this back up for the new season.
                          New Season, New Stories. Lets hear em!

Comment

I was doing some work for a guy on the YO and of course there were exotics running everywhere. My boss was with me and he was friends with the owner. The guy asks my boss if he wants to kill some black buck does which he wholeheartedly says yes. He tells him to shoot as many as he wants, they have too many. He takes my boss to the blind and I'm still working and hear a shot, then another, then another, and one more to boot. The guy comes over and says "sounds like Kevin got into a mess of them". I've seen him shoot before, so I know if he shot 4 times he has that many kills. Sure enough, the owner goes to pick him up except he has 4 Axis does on the ground. Owner was not too happy with him, but was gracious enough to let it ride. He asked me if I was interested in shooting some and I said I would be. I was put into another blind and I knew I was not going to take anything but black buck. I sat there for about two hours and watched a parade of exotics file past me, sika, axis, fallow, elk and other stuff I didn't know the name of. No black bucks. I think the owner was a little relieved and I was sure hoping we would get called back to do some more work but it never happened. I asked my boss later why he shot the axis knowingly and he said "that guy has more money than he knows what to do with and what's the harm". I didn't work for that guy much longer.

Comment

Some good reading here.

Comment

Friend of mine had a guy shoot a 3yo typical 16 after he was specifically told not to shoot that deer if it came in.

I learned then that if I'm ever in the situation where I control who hunts somewhere, nobody sits alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X