Raw wild boar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
    Watched the episode and said the same thing to my wife. Lots of “wild game” comments from folks that didn’t really speak the “wild game” lingo very well.
    Yup. I heard one where they used "wild boar" in reference to any feral pig, male or female.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
      Yup. I heard one where they used "wild boar" in reference to any feral pig, male or female.
      That reference is used a lot, maybe it’s just me but makes me cringe every time I hear it used as a general term for pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        That reference is used a lot, maybe it’s just me but makes me cringe every time I hear it used as a general term for pigs.
        You're not alone...

Comment

Raw wild boar

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
          Their definition of wild boar and ours is a little different. Any "wild" meat that is purchased to serve in a restaurant goes through testing for trichinella and is safe to eat at any temperature.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not true on testing. Brucellosis is a problem if undercooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Bill; 04-15-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Sounds dangerous to me. Wild pigs can carry several different diseases. And contraction can come in different forms.

Comment

Just cook the meat!

I don’t eat bloody pork or chicken.
              Wild boar? I doubt it.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                Cooked pork for this guy. Pretty sure pork of any kind,wild or not isn't safe to eat unless it is completely done.
                I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a case if trichinosis in years. They actually lowered the cooking temperature if I'm not mistaken. We are raising pork a lot differently now then they were in the 50's

Edit: looks like maybe 4 cases from farm raised pork in the last 8 years. Majority comes from bear oddly enough.
                Last edited by BTGuard; 04-15-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

For years , the cooking temp for pork was 165 F. But it was lowered 15 degrees in 2011 to 145. (I don't like overcooked,but 145 seems a little low to my taste.)

But I saw that episode and thought it was funny, listening to all of the wild game "experts"....

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                    For years , the cooking temp for pork was 165 F. But it was lowered 15 degrees in 2011 to 145. (I don't like overcooked,but 145 seems a little low to my taste.)

But I saw that episode and thought it was funny, listening to all of the wild game "experts"....
                    Is that the new math? LOL

I think that is for farm raised pork. I still cook wild pork to 165

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                      Is that the new math? LOL

I think that is for farm raised pork. I still cook wild pork to 165
                      Yes, definitely for farm raised. Today's pigs are raised in much more sanitary conditions than years ago. But makes more sense than the new math.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
                        They got bigger balls [emoji459] than me

Big balls and small brains....not a good combo

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                          I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a case if trichinosis in years. They actually lowered the cooking temperature if I'm not mistaken. We are raising pork a lot differently now then they were in the 50's

Edit: looks like maybe 4 cases from farm raised pork in the last 8 years. Majority comes from bear oddly enough.
                          With wild pigs I'd also be concerned about pseudo rabies and swine brucellosis. I don't touch wild pigs without handoms.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

Lmfao

Yeah not a good combo.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              I've made it 35 years so far and doing ok

Comment

Meat could have also been irradiated