No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the day started out overcast and windy, with a light mist in the air. I figured the birds wouldn’t be talking on the roost, given the conditions, so I waited until daybreak before I even got out. I tried one of my usual morning spots with no luck, so after an hour or so of calling there, I moved to a second spot towards the back of the ranch where I’ve seen turkeys travel previous seasons. About 30 minutes into it, I hear the faintest gobble. It’s so faint that I second guessed it until the bird fired off again a few minutes later, but still a long way out. I’m primarily a diaphragm caller, but with the south wind blowing steady, I break out the box call, and yet again, hear him a little closer, but hunting out of a popup in windy conditions, I can’t pinpoint which direction he is from me. Not wanting to squander the opportunity of a bird that is seemingly interested and gobbling, I decide to get out and cut the distance from where I thought I heard the bird last. So I get set up in a persimmon bush, get the dekes out, give a seductive set of yelps, and hear the bird fire off from where I just moved from. SMH

I’m close enough from where I was that I’m content to just sit tight and let him keep working to me. I give him a minute or two and let another another series of yelps and he gobbles back closer than before. Now I’m getting excited. Things get quiet. I know he’s close and was working towards me, and I don’t want to overcall, so I sit there quietly. The suspense in killing me. Just as I’m about to reach for my slate for some soft talk, a catch a glimpse of his fan and hear a faint drum. He moves in cautiously, but as soon as he sees the decoys, he fully commits. I had them in tight to where I was setup and as he presents me with the shot (inside of 10 yards), I let the trusty 870 bark.

Comment

The afternoon bird was killed at the first place I had setup this morning. The sun starts to break through and it’s warming up nicely, but still pretty windy. Not hearing any gobbles on the way out, I decide to stick it out in a popup, call, and try to bring one to me instead of potentially spooking a bird working towards me silently. I call sporadically for about 45 minutes with no response and just as I’m contemplating moving to another spot, a hen answers my yelps. I give it a couple of minutes and call again, and she answers even closer. I know she’s working towards me, so I work the slate call until she’s right on top of me. Turns out she wasn’t just a single hen. A group of about a dozen move in front of me and feed and I can hear the spitting and drumming of a gobbler trailing the group. It seems like forever until he finally appears. He keeps some brush between me and him for what seemed like ages before he finally clears. In my haste to make the shot, I didn’t get much of him on the first shot. The hens scatter, he looks a little disoriented, but still on his feet moving slowly. I pump another shell in and fire a follow up shot that finishes the job and I’m pumped about punching two tags so early in the season.

1st bird weighed 20 pounds with 8 1/4 beard and spurs just short of an inch.

2nd bird weighed 21 pounds with a 9.5 inch beard and spurs just over an inch.

Comment

Congrats 2cool

Dad and I are back where I got my bird last weekend.

We are actually setup in different blinds hoping to get a shot at the old crooked beard bird.

At 5+ years old, I can’t help but think he’s sporting some decent hooks!

Comment

Not much talkin this mornin

Comment

Setup with my 2 nephews this morning. Gobbling like crazy on the roost but fairly quite now. Hearing some about 200 yards away.

Comment

Dad’s got one fired up behind him but he won’t come out of the creek.

Comment

Good luck gentlemen.... and Clay[emoji41]

Comment

Had some jakes and 1 longbeard but they are with hens. Won’t come in.

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Son got his first gobbler this morning, he’s hooked now!
                    Last edited by Moose; 03-24-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

Beautiful bird

Congrats to your son

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

Attaboy Moose Jr! Good stuff Justin!

Comment

Not the one I’d shoot with the 4.10 but if they come in Bow range, it’s on

Comment

Stayed just out of range for over 45 minutes then left

Oh well

Comment

2 more gobblers came cruisin through with zero interest

I have hens out and PoPo has the breeding pair.

Comment

Victoria County. No gobbling this morning, filled feeder and checked out a new spot. Stopped and called in several places with no response. Around 10am got in the blind and started calling. Right off the bat a hen responded and headed my way. Was hoping she would bring a boyfriend but no dice. She walked arounf for a bit then left. Nothing for a while then got a gob le back waaayyy off. Sounds like he is coming, but in no rush.....

Comment

Working...
                                X