No announcement yet.

Let's hear from the Ford 6.2L owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought one two weeks ago and I love it. Big difference from my '14 F-150. I got the XLT package 4X4. I wanted the FX4, but tha'ts another story. This truck is awesome except for the gas mileage, but I don't drive enough to really worry about it. The first week I had it I loaded 1500 lbs of corn in the bed with 6X12 trailer loaded with another 500lbs of corn and my UTV. Drove to my lease near Pumpville and got 9 mpg. On the way back, towing just the trailer, I got 11 mpg. But, when you need to pass someone this thing will get up and go, even loaded. The trailer has a ramp and it acts pretty much like a sail. Around town this past week I've been getting 12 mpg. I think the mileage will get a little better as it gets broke in.

Here's mine with the Ranch Hand running boards I had installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F250.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	24531569

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
      I've been following the 6.2 for almost a year and a half, and will probably be buying one next year when we return to the States.

For prospective buyers, I highly recommend you look at ordering the 4.30 gears, especially if you plan to tow a good bit. The extra torque multiplication in many ways gives you an "extra gear" in terms of later downshifts. In other words, when the 3.73 trucks need to downshift to 4th gear to maintain on a hill, a 4.30 equipped truck may only need 5th. You'll likely see better towing and in-town mileage too, but may lose an MPG empty on the highway. YMMV.
      Ditto on 4:30's,especially if you tow the big 5th wheel trailers that catch a lot of wind, or tow heavy in mountain states like Colorado etc. This is the only thing I would change on my truck. When I was buying I could not find a F-250 with 4:30's on a dealer lot anywhere. I found a good deal on a truck and settled for the 3:73's. My next new one, will have the 4:30's when I buy again.

Comment

I ordered my SCT X4 tuner from 5 Star this morning and hope to have it installed by the end of the week. I got the 87 octane tunes for economy, towing and performance. Anybody else using a tuner?

Comment

I have a 2017 F350 CCSB 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 rear end. I just turned over 10,000 miles and absolutely love this truck. I don't pull heavy but do haul a slide in truck camper and then have an ATV trailer I pull behind it. No problems and engine is very smooth and powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
            I ordered my SCT X4 tuner from 5 Star this morning and hope to have it installed by the end of the week. I got the 87 octane tunes for economy, towing and performance. Anybody else using a tuner?
            I don't have a tuner like the 5 star but I did have my truck tuned by the same guy that's doing my Mustang a few months back. It was more of tune for towing than racing performance. It did make a noticeable difference in towing and I have very little hunting gears between 5 & 6 when towing. Pus I had the speed limiter bumped up and a couple other bothersome things changed
            I would be interested to hear your experience with the 5 star. I have always heard positive things about them

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
              What does the tuner do? Is it for diesel engines or will it work on the gas engines as well? Does it affect warranty? How about gas mileage for those of us who don't tow a lot of heavy stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                What does the tuner do? Is it for diesel engines or will it work on the gas engines as well? Does it affect warranty? How about gas mileage for those of us who don't tow a lot of heavy stuff?
                It's specifically for the 6.2 gasser and it would probably not be good for warranty stuff. May want to contact a trusted Ford guy about that. The 5 Star tuning pretty much just makes the truck do what it's capable of doing. Better shift pattern, a little more horsepower when towing and better fuel economy when not towing too. 5 Star gives 3 tunes with the SCT X4 if you buy it from them and they will adjust them based on equipment you have on the truck. My truck is stock except for tires so I got the following tunes:

87 octane daily/tow
                87 octane performance
                87 octane economy

I'm not a 5 Star fan boy or pushing them over any other product. I made my choice based on the forum I linked above. The 6.2 owners over there love 5 Star for the most part but there are other options out there. FYI, they give a 7% military/police/fire discount as well.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys . I’m just trying to decide between a F250 with 6.2 and 2500HD with 6.0. And the longevity. I usually keep a truck for a long time cause I don’t put a tremendous amount of miles on them in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                    Thanks for the input guys . I’m just trying to decide between a F250 with 6.2 and 2500HD with 6.0. And the longevity. I usually keep a truck for a long time cause I don’t put a tremendous amount of miles on them in a year.
                    Either would serve you well.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                      yeah...don't sweat it if this is the case. Pick the one that has the most overall goodies that make you smile. I'll share what I can.

I'm in the oil patch & been asking around this very question (even though I have no say in what I'll end up with really) Honestly, don't care what I get be it half, 3/4 ton be it blue oval or bow tie.

Here's what I can share & this comes from guys who have been in both & are even mostly pro ford biased:

6.2 wins on the nuts when it comes to power / passing. This aspect is a big piece of the puzzle for most who are on the fence & have no interest to drive the truck into the ground.
                      6.0 wins on reliability / maintenance free aspect.

Both suck for fuel consumption.

6.2 sits higher & rides rougher. For me, this is a downside as I really only need a 3/4 ton maybe 25% time for work. Being rougher when you drive 400 miles or more a day & having a bed that is harder to get in & out of pushes me towards the chevy. This info comes from guys who would still pick the Ford due to admitted bias & I have to appreciate this particular feedback. If your truck is not going to be loaded down most of the time, I'm told the GM is more cozy on the road.

Comment

'17 F250 with the 6.2. My last experience was the V10 F250 i had for 10 years. The 6.2 is very impressive. I didn't need a diesel, only haul tractor/trailers/misc. occasionally. It's been great so far. Interested in that tuner for the 6.2. I wonder what type of fuel mileage improvement people are getting.

Comment

Artos , That is exactly what I’m talking about longevity with little maintenance. I know my Chevy 6.0 has been very low maintenance and that’s with 202,000 miles. But I really like the look and stance of the new 2017-18 F250 and have heard lots off good about the 6.2 . I am just hoping it’s as low maintenance as my old 6.0 and or also wondering if a new 6.0 is as durable and trouble free as they use to be.
                          Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 03-08-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Just traded in a 2014 for a 2017 . I really like them .

Comment

The 6.0 has been a very reliable engine. From what I have seen so far, so has the 6.2.
                              Ford used to offer the 6.2 with the same transmission that they used for the 6.7 powerstroke. That was changed in 17. So its still too new to know how reliable it will be.

At work we have a fleet of GMC and Chevy vans that all have the 6.0 in them. To my knowledge we have never had a engine failure. Transmissions are another story. We have had several replaced. However, these vans are all loaded very heavy with tools and parts.

I don't think you could go wrong with either truck.
                              If it were me I would pick the one with the best performance, and that would be the 6.2 Ford.

Comment

Just traded a 2015 6.7 ford for a new 6.2. Love the room and less worrying about costly repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X