No announcement yet.

Shooting pigs with a 223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My go-to rifle for nightime pig hunts is a M70 Featherweight in .22-250 and my pig medicine is a NBT 55-gr over H380 zipping along at 3550 fps. I have killed literally hundreds of pigs with that combo and have never lost one--missed one last month though. Now, my nighttime hunts are over lighted feeders, at ranges from 58 yds to 125 yds, and it is relatively simple to poke a bullet mid-way on a line from eye to ear hole, and that is a DRT shot.

Comment

Originally posted by chtx View Post
      We honestly do pretty good with cheap FMJs and green tips. Had plenty of pigs DRT with shots square in the shoulder. This includes pretty big boars. We shoot a lot of pigs so it gets expensive quick with expensive bullets
      I guess me and the sons are just lucky...we shoot the same and DRT! Why, because these rounds "penetrate" the dense muscle/bone of swine! We hunt the piggies with AR platforms since we want to put down as many as we can, slinging some lead! But there is always ONE....my TBH son has put down several with his 10mm Glock from the bow stand. Just thoughts...but try it, works for us....

Comment

55 gr soft point to the brain works great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pigkilln View Post
          I have used the hornady sp 55 grain with good results. Probably 15 deer and a dozen hogs. Mostly head shots on the hogs. Several of the deer were high shoulder or lung shot and they did great.
          ^ This is it! I haven't personally killed a pig with it but my wife has a Remington Model Seven 223 with 1:12 twist and uses the Hornady 55 gr. SP and has taken more than her fair share of pigs and deer with it. Amazing the damage that little pill does!
          Very accurate in that gun also!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

My cousin is having a ball using 75gr subs with a Ruger American using a AAC 7.62 SD can.
            Under 100 yds DRT and super quiet. Still a big slap when bullet hits pig. Love that sound

Comment

55 grain Hornady

Comment

We shoot lots of them year around, seldom from a blind. With .17 HMR and up. we try for multiple kills every time. Some two with one shot on the first shot into a sounder.
                I am not a fan of the .223 because most of the shots are running and/or at a distance. Without a decent blood trail ( thick hide and lots of fat), it can be hard to Locate the bodies in the thickets where they run.
                We have settled on a 6.5 CM and a .270 for big hogs. For Headshots or small pigs, caliber doesn't really matter.

Ymmv

Comment

I kill 'em fine with 55gr mil surplus fmj... most drop on impact

Comment

I was shooting 62 grain Winchester Super X......I am now shooting Freedom Munitions 60gr Soft Points.

This is all for night time hunting with my thermal. ALOT cheaper and my last 6 kills have dropped in their tracks.. .45 cents a round I will take it

Comment

I'm taking my 9 yo niece pig huntn this eve. AR w red dot & 63 gr Silver Bear hp's. Shot will be under 50 yds.

I'll let ya know how they do. ��

Comment

55 gr Hornady SP for me. Relatively inexpensive and effective!

Comment

Hornady Whitetail Classic 60gr. will also knock down a big old Axis!!!!

God Bless
                          Bish

Comment

55gr VMax ear hole is the key hole.

Comment

You can pretty much kill anything with an ear shot with pretty much any caliber. But I'm pretty sure that's not the info Jethro is looking for.

Jethro you ruled out Barnes and that would have been my first choice. A varmint Bullet dang sure wouldn't be my choice at all.

Maybe a 55grain Hornady interlock or some other kind of stout Bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've gone to 223 w/65gr just last year. I can't say I'm a fan of this yet as I have the most confidence on these in any conditions when shooting my 308.

Comment

Working...
                                X