Dodge Diesel Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
    Here's my opinion and it's only an opinion. If your going with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, get a diesel.

CON - cost more upfront
    PRO - resale value is much better so you don't lose money in the end

CON - gas is currently cheaper
    PRO - diesel gets better fuel mileage

CON - oil changes cost more
    PRO - you can go longer in between oil changes so it almost evens out

CON - repairs cost more
    PRO - diesels have a longer longevity

CON - ???
    PRO - diesel will outperform any gas engine

In the end, you are the one making the purchase so buy what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    THIS. I owned 2 trucks since graduating from college. Both diesels. I got good money when i traded in my 5.9 cummins on my 6.7 Powerstroke. Try getting good money at trade in on a gas motor truck with over 200k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Ferguson View Post
      THIS. I owned 2 trucks since graduating from college. Both diesels. I got good money when i traded in my 5.9 cummins on my 6.7 Powerstroke. Try getting good money at trade in on a gas motor truck with over 200k miles.

YEP! The difference you pay up front for a diesel will be recovered in the end when you sale or trade in. Shop around maintenance prices at dealers and you may be suprised. I get my oil changed at the ford house cheaper than I can do it myself and with ford owner rewards points every 5th one is free. Just shop around bc not all dealer prices are the same.

Comment

There's a lot of reason to want a heavy duty truck. I've had two with gassers: a 2004 F250 with 6.8 V10 and a 2015 Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi. I don't tow that heavy or that often. Both those gassers have been adequate for my purposes. I'd buy another 6.4 Hemi in a heartbeat. I really thought I was going to get a diesel when I bought it, but I drove it and like it and they made me a really great deal on it so I bought it.

The Ram service package as part of the sale or lease is a good deal. But the service department at the dealer I bought mine at just flat sucks so bad I skipped the last oil change in the package to have it done at the local shop where I used to have my oil changed before getting this truck.

LWD

Comment

Just got rid of my 2012. In the shop every 3 months for some emision problem or another. Had to replace injectors at 44,000 miles. Oil changes were $100. Fuel filters I did myself for $45.

After 5 years sold it for $9k less than I paid for it.

Bought the same truck(2017) with the 6.4 Hemi and couldn't be happier.

I would highly recommend Bluebonnet Chrysler in New Braunfels.
          Last edited by captainsling; 06-19-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
            Just got rid of my 2012. In the shop every 3 months for some emision problem or another. Had to replace injectors at 44,000 miles. Oil changes were $100. Fuel filters I did myself for $45.

After 5 years sold it for $9k less than I paid for it.

Bought the same truck(2017) with the 6.4 Hemi and couldn't be happier.

I would highly recommend Bluebonnet Chrysler in New Braunfels.

I bought my truck from Bluebonnet as well. Great people to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
              $404!!!

Full Service Oil Change - $75.00
              Fuel Filters and do it yourself - $88.60
              Rotate Tires do it yourself - $0.00

Grand Total - $163.60

That's the exact kit I ordered. Can't beat it and save alot of money doing that yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                I drive my dodge diesel as a daily driver. gets good fuel mileage. stout. has over 340K and still runs strong. I bought it for longevity
                mine is an o4 6 speed.
                Amen 03 6speed 4x4 dually 275,*** get around 15mpg on 33" Mts. However next truck will be a gasser the new diesels of any sort just don't excite me.

Comment

I'm also not a fan of the newer ram diesels due to their known emissions issues. I think ford and gm have ram beat in the current diesel game.

I have driven duramaxes the last 6 years. I'll disagree with those saying don't buy because maintenance cost. Normal oil change is about $120 at a local place with ams oil and wix filters. About 3 times a year at the rate I drive. Fuel filter is about once a year.
                  So far I'm at 55k miles on my 2015 without a hiccup. About to need tires though..

Comment

I drive a 2010 ram 3500 with the Cummings. This is my second diesel and it isn't that bad with maintenance. I change the oil myself and buy 3 gallons of rotella and a mopar oil filter at Walmart all for under $60. Change the fuel filter once a year for about $80 from napa. I don't tow real heavy but can if I want to. Never have a problem with power. Cost up front is more when purchasing but you get it all back when you sell. I would buy a diesel every time if I could afford it. Luckily I have the last two times.

Comment

Good info so far , thanks for the input without the whizzing match like on most truck thread !!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        I'm also not a fan of the newer ram diesels due to their known emissions issues. I think ford and gm have ram beat in the current diesel game.

I have driven duramaxes the last 6 years. I'll disagree with those saying don't buy because maintenance cost. Normal oil change is about $120 at a local place with ams oil and wix filters. About 3 times a year at the rate I drive. Fuel filter is about once a year.
                        So far I'm at 55k miles on my 2015 without a hiccup. About to need tires though..
                        It's well known that Ford has had more emissions related issues with their diesels than the other 2. It's been hashed out in many of the debate threads here. Someone posted some statistics somewhere about it. I'll try to find it.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

I love my 2015 Ram 2500 mega cab diesel with blackout package. I put a superlift 4" kit and 37" tires on it (I actually won a superlift "show us your lifts contest" which help offset the cost of that lift )

I agree with J. Cowell I also order my parts online and do my fuel filter change and oil changes myself. It takes me about 45 minutes to do both and getting under the truck is super easy partially because of my lift. I also agree with Bobby Ferguson, the resale value on these trucks is fantastic! I believe I could still get close to 50k for mine right now... a gasser wouldn't be worth 35k.

I went to Peters up in Longview TX to make a deal and they were super easy to deal with. I drove up from Houston, I did most everything online, so I was in and out in 15 minutes. Dennis Dillion up in Idaho would have saved me about 3k (they are the cheapest in the country on these trucks I believe) but honestly once the wife had said yes and I got my check from the bank I couldn't wait the week it would have taken to get that truck shipped down here AND the one up in Idaho didn't have the Ram boxes which have been amazing IMO.

Good luck, welcome to the family, and post pics once you get her home

Below is a little video I submitted of my lift, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuA_...NV-jU&index=63

Comment

Full disclosure, I drive a '12 F250 with the 6.7. But I have read, somewhere on this site, that Dodge offers lifetime warranties on their new non-diesel 3/4 tons. If I were in the market for a truck, I would be leaning heavily towards a 3/4 ton gas Dodge with a lifetime warranty.

That being said, industry rumor is that Fiat/Chrysler is about to go bankrupt, again. That would be the only thing that would slow me down from buying a Dodge.

Far as maintenance, don't let anyone fool you, everything costs more in a diesel. Especially if you want to go above OEM level quality. If folks are paying less than $200 for oil changes, they aren't running synthetic, or higher quality filters. I had an oil analysis done last oil change, was told I could go ~8,000 miles between changes, possibly more due to the higher quality oil & filters. With my old gas GMC, I was going 6,000 miles.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Bluebonnet Dodge in New Braunfels. Smoked every other dealer in Texas when I was in the market. I searched, researched and called all over the state. FWIW I bought a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB AT with the Cummins. It is the tradesman package but has quite a few of the available upgrades including bed liner and 5th wheel prep group. I gave $41,700 and was out the door for $45,900.

Comment

Dodge Diesel Owners

If you buy any diesel 2006 or newer add $2500 to the purchase price to delete all of the stuff off of them and you will probably be able to drive it forever.

I don't care what anybody says all three manufacturers have emissions issues. Remember all the Duramax owners on here crying a year or so ago about their DEF system taking a dump in there being a nationwide backorder on parts? Other than that they all seem to be very solid trucks.

I will say this A three-quarter ton gasser will probably suit your needs, however when you do hook a load to a diesel versus gas there is absolutely no comparison in pulling power and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X