Contesting property tax increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contesting property tax increase

We have never done it before and we are looking for advice on what information we will need to bring to the hearing.

We are in Grayson county

It may be too late. Check your county deadline

Comment

We already submitted the paperwork in time

Comment

Go here and find some good information

Page not found - O'Connor Property Tax Reduction Experts , O'Connor Property Tax Reduction Experts , Property Tax Reduction Experts

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Go here and find some good information

http://www.poconnor.com/property_tax_overview.asp
          I hired that company years ago and they failed to show up. I learned the system myself and saved myself a lot more than Oconner could have.

Comment

Can you request an on-site evaluation? Ours was adjusted down about 30K last year when they did an on-site after I contested the initial valuation.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
              I hired that company years ago and they failed to show up. I learned the system myself and saved myself a lot more than Oconner could have.
              I didn't say to hire them. Just use the information they provide and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Comment

Order the comp sheet they used from county.
                Compare your house to those and check their comp values, they are likely wrong or way off on numerous values.
                Interior(trim, countertops, bathrooms, etc)
                Lot location
                Lot size
                Outdoor buildings
                Pool vs no pool

In just a simple example, when i checked mine they had a two story 300sqft nice wood shed comp'd only $200 more than my plastic snap together shed.

Make sure home sqft is correct.

Also compare other recently sold houses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the county canceled our hearing. Lowered our taxes without us even presenting our case.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                    Well the county canceled our hearing. Lowered our taxes without us even presenting our case.
                    Out of curiosity, how much did you save? I will contest next year, for sure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Same here ....contested it, they set a date for trial and asked for supporting docs ahead of time , sent them , next day they lowered the value as well without a trial. Worth the trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                          You saved 35k in taxes? Surely that is the reduction in value? I'm wondering what that computes to in actual savings of cash paid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes they reduced the value after almost tripling it. Not sure actual savings. We are going to review it to find out. Just happy they changed it.

Comment

Working...
                            X