Fishing guide tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing guide tip question

My son and I are going on a 4 hour fishing trip out of Kemah this weekend and I have no idea how much to tip. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Usually I tip 15-20% of the total cost of the trip if we had fun.

Comment

Y’all tip even if the guide is a 1-man operation and owns the business?

I always do, but in the back of my mind kind of question it.

Comment

I have just decided to tip the 15-20 regardless and try to have fun on the trip. It saves me the mental gymnastics. I have never had a bad guided fishing trip but I would not tip well if I did.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
          Y’all tip even if the guide is a 1-man operation and owns the business?

I always do, but in the back of my mind kind of question it.
          Yes.

Comment

As long as the guide does his best to get you on fish, I tip! But when a guide cuts your trip off early because of this or that, and you haven't gotten your limits, then I'm not going to give much or any tip.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I think 20% is a good number unless it seems like the guide is really not trying. Above all treat the guide respectfully and don’t sweat a bad day fishing. I have fished with my favorite guide for over ten years. I pack a lunch for him, provide his favorite beer for the cleaning table and tip him $150/ day. In turn I know I’m fishing with the hardest working guide on the water that day.

Comment

I always tip my guide. I have never had a dud guide. These guys try to make a living taking people out for a fun day on the water. I always learn something from them. I love Speckled Trout fried fillets.

Comment

Here's my take. You pay for a 4-hour fishing trip with a guide (someone who should know what he's doing).

So tip based on anything above and beyond that. If he's extra happy to be trying to get you on fish for you or your sons sake, if he answers his phone and tries to adjust timing of trip for better odds, if he stays a little later on the water, if he provides extra bait usually not included, if you lose one of his fishing poles If he contacts you before you trip to tell you how the fish are biting etc.

Things like that. just pay attention and tip accordingly.

Comment

Last trip I did was $375 for 4 hours. Guide was great, tipped $100.

Comment

I always tip 20% of trip cost regardless of if fish are caught or not.

Comment

Wow! Most people used to recommend a 10% tip for fishing or hunting guides, now it's 20? I tip based on how hard he works, not based on number of fish. If it looks like he's just going through the motions, he gets docked. Luckily, I've seldom had that issue.

Comment

Why tip? They are all overpriced like everything else. They average $95-$100 an hour. And they usually do 2 trips a day. Do the math. Wish I made that per day. B realistic guys.

Comment

WHY tip?
                              Shouldn't the guide price his services on how much he think he should earn not how much "charity" he thinks I should give him?

I hate tipping.

Just tell me what I owe you and let's move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X