Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro's and Con's of OWNING a camper trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myself would never buy used but that is me and I have owned many of them . So they drop in resale yep . But warranty and extended warranty . Makes me not worry about any thing .

The money thing I do not see how that is a factor really . prices range all over the place , and by used ok great guess what your used unit is now worth even less in a year as well so where is the upside other than the cost .

Now renting is an option and many people even rent their units out through services .. Not a chance would I do it but thats me . But renting is not always a great deal price wise or issue with the unit, lack of " what you need in it" etc .

money wise Nothing today is cheap ,

Off site camping you need a gen set we have a onan 4k in ours , if your in a camp ground not such a huge deal . but your not going to run an AC unit with a little gen set 3500 MIN to not have issues .

We love ours and we use it at least once a month for mini trips , Port A , Broken Bow, Right now its on the lease , love it . We make good use of it every chance we get . This year we have been to 9 places , and camping 12 times ( some places we like to go back to )

Our is a toy hauler with garage .

Comment

The GF and I have a 21 foot Minnie Winnebago, and a 16 ft fishing boat. I trailer both camping and to the coast to fish without an issue behind my 3500 chevy. Taking the camper to the coast is a whole lot cheaper then getting a room, we can stay for a long weekend for less than one night in a hotel.

Comment

I have two buds that have them. The biggest benefit one has is when they use it no other family can invite themselves since there's no room.

The other hates that they can't take more friends and family along. They end up taking other vacations with family and so its just a money pit.

They agree knowing what they know now they just would have rented one when needed instead of owning one. Both have grown to despise them.

One had the AC go out on day one at the beach. He couldn't fix it/get it fixed so they got hotel rooms so as not to ruin the kids vacation. He seriously considered leaving it there.

I have been with both of them. I go on vacation to relax/rest/sleep.

I have never encountered these 3 things in an RV. More of the opposite.

Comment

Claire told me that the way all big decisions are made in your house is that you each get one vote.

And then she is the tie-breaker.

Congrats on the new RV!

Comment

My observations: Friends that camped a lot before purchasing one loved getting a camper.

Friends who said they would camp a lot once they bought one always got rid of it within 5 years.

Comment

Its a good way to turn a vacation into a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

That is exactly what my brother said about his...

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

Bill Engvall ~

"I thought "RV" stood for "Recreational Vehicle." No! It stands for "Ruins Vacations."

Comment

I have to disagree with yall. We have done it all from a tent , pop up, small and large trailer to now the 5th wheel. Have never regretted any of them. It’s about family. Being together and making memories. I can go to the coast for a week and the cost is minimal. I have to admit, when we had the pop up, we went way more. Shop around and find one that suits your family. Life is short....have fun.

Comment

WOW sad to hear so many have issues.. preventative maintenance is needed like anything else .

Below a short list of trips this year NEVER one bad time , always the best R&R and fun . I think it is a learning curve for some its harder than others..
                      But I can tell you that nothing but great trips and great times . The best Memories laughing at each other ..

In Broken Bow My GF slipped in the mud and lost her sandal in the pond , she is covered in mud , I tell her no way am i going in that much pond to get her flip flop.. Yep I ended up having to go in , still shudder at how nasty the water was . Silly girl but always a great time no matter what .

And its a min trip many times long weekend deal other times F-M . So we try to keep it some what short drive time .

We have it down my GF is the inside set up I d the outside in less than 30 minutes we are set up and ready to relax in our mobile oasis

first port A
                      Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

lake Ray

second port A trip

out to the lease to teach GF son to shoot and he got his first pig and coyote on that trip

Broken Bow 2nd time

Co elk hunting

lake Whitney first or second time we stay at a one of the two parks

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 10-04-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It depends on how much you will use it. We bought a good used one for ~6k. When we lived in central Texas we used it a least once a month and it was definitely worth it.

Now we are further west with less places nearby to camp. Thinking of selling it and then just renting off Outdoorsy (AirBnB for campers). One thing I like about renting is that you can just rent near your final destination. Planning a trip to Colorado next summer and think I will just rent one from up there versus pulling mine 14 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Best advice I can give you is buy used. They plummet in value quickly.

We have a 2006 model 5th wheel that we bought and the only issue I know it is starting to have is the floor on the slide out is starting to go bad. But this one was lived in full time and exposed to the elements and rigors of full time living and that’s not what they are designed for. Even if I have to replace the flooring, that’s a TON cheaper than a new one the same size with the same amenities.

If you can park it under covered storage and keep power hooked to it, that is the best situation.

We use ours 1-2 times per month typically all the way to deer season then we use it as our lease camper. If you are going to occasionally use it definitely shop wisely and buy a solid used unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          This. Find one that has been stored under cover, and is a little older. Banks won't loan on trailers over so many years old, so you can buy them cheap.

I grew up vacationing in a travel trailer, and I love them. We never had all that much trouble with them aside from occaisional flat tires and stuff, at least nothing that couldn't be dealt with pretty quickly. I guess maybe because I grew up around them I'm not scared of something breaking because I can probably fix it.
                          Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-04-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
                            It depends on how much you will use it. We bought a good used one for ~6k. When we lived in central Texas we used it a least once a month and it was definitely worth it.

Now we are further west with less places nearby to camp. Thinking of selling it and then just renting off Outdoorsy (AirBnB for campers). One thing I like about renting is that you can just rent near your final destination. Planning a trip to Colorado next summer and think I will just rent one from up there versus pulling mine 14 hours...
                            check into that very careful a guy in camp this year did just that , trailer was a nightmare , all due to lack of up keep .

Comment

If it is going to sit in the yard then don't buy one. We bought one last year and have camped in it 5 or 6 trips including a 16 day 4300 mile trip to yellow stone! We bought used and are just as happy as if we had a new one. It has bunks in the back for the kids and a big bed in the front for us. We plan to use it a couple more times this year and already have three trips planned for next year.

Comment

You can rent a cabin cheaper than towing a camper, and I like campers and camping. RV sites have got high in many places, so by the time you pay $30-50/night to camp, plus fuel, plus the cost of a camper, cost of maintenance and repairs, and cost of depreciation it is cheaper to get a cabin or hotel room.
                                Last edited by BrianL; 10-04-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X