No announcement yet.

State Income Tax..or Property Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in Oklahoma I don't have a dog's fight in this subject. We have income tax along with property tax but the kicker for us is that both taxes combined for us is cheaper than property tax alone in Texas. It all comes down to how they proportion it out and being government they are going to screw you anyway they can. At least here in Oklahoma we don't get screwed tax wise as much as landowners in Texas do yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
      Living in Oklahoma I don't have a dog's fight in this subject. We have income tax along with property tax but the kicker for us is that both taxes combined for us is cheaper than property tax alone in Texas. It all comes down to how they proportion it out and being government they are going to screw you anyway they can. At least here in Oklahoma we don't get screwed tax wise as much as landowners in Texas do yet.
      In Texas we like to pretend our taxes are much lower. It’s a national image also because you will hear it said around the country. However, the sum total of taxes is not low. School systems are incurring costs of increased population from illegal immigration and thus need more money to operate (something that nobody likes to discuss). If you own land without Agriculture exemptions then you know all to well how much school taxes are in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
        This I think would work......
        Wife and I are empty nesters as of last year, selling our home of twenty years
        Property tax and insurance has become unbearable, besides trying to keep up maintaining 3000 plus square feet
        My taxes have gone from $2100 s year in 1999 to 10 k
        Insurance in 1999 was $1282, now over $6k
        Ridiculous
        This is the sad reality! We don’t own anything in the US. You may not have a note but if you can’t make payments to the government they confiscate your property. The amount of increased taxes has become too high for many to afford.

Comment

I'd rather be taxed as my money leaves my house, not before I see it. I feel like I'm more in control of whether it is spent or not.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            This^^^^^ as long as they do away with the property tax.
            LOL Guys posting in this thread are funny.

He who has the money will be taxed the most. Period.

They will never get rid of property tax.. Ever.

They may add an income tax. But they will for sure stick with whatever gets them the most money from "rich" people.

They will never introduce a tax that taxes everyone equally.

Is this really a discussion?

Comment

Due to the property taxes in Texas, when we retire we will sell whatever home we're in & hit the road. I refuse to waste my retirement funds on making the state rich.
              Not sure if we'll go the 5th wheel & truck route or motor home.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                Income
                With a little bit of sales and property mix

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                  Due to the property taxes in Texas, when we retire we will sell whatever home we're in & hit the road. I refuse to waste my retirement funds on making the state rich.
                  Not sure if we'll go the 5th wheel & truck route or motor home.
                  Interesting. Where will you park when your not traveling?

Comment

State Income Tax..or Property Tax

I’d rather property tax.

In LA I pay both and will pay around 22k in income and 3k for property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                      Interesting. Where will you park when your not traveling?
                      Will always be traveling! We had a 5th wheel for a few years & spent a ton of time on the road. We really enjoyed it. Stay at a park for a couple months then move to the next for a couple months & just repeat that until our health won't allow it. That's the plan anyways. I'm eligible for retirement in 5yrs 2mo but I'll only be 48 years old. I'm going to try to work until I'm at least 53.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                        Will always be traveling! We had a 5th wheel for a few years & spent a ton of time on the road. We really enjoyed it. Stay at a park for a couple months then move to the next for a couple months & just repeat that until our health won't allow it. That's the plan anyways. I'm eligible for retirement in 5yrs 2mo but I'll only be 48 years old. I'm going to try to work until I'm at least 53.
                        I like it

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                          I'd rather be taxed as my money leaves my house, not before I see it. I feel like I'm more in control of whether it is spent or not.
                          +1

Comment

I have always liked the idea of sales tax only.

Comment

Real estate since i'm all ag and barndo. That is why I built like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                                This I think would work......
                                Wife and I are empty nesters as of last year, selling our home of twenty years
                                Property tax and insurance has become unbearable, besides trying to keep up maintaining 3000 plus square feet
                                My taxes have gone from $2100 s year in 1999 to 10 k
                                Insurance in 1999 was $1282, now over $6k
                                Ridiculous
                                What in the world caused your home insurance to be $6,000 a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X