LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
    Went out on Sunday. Was walking/scouting from noon til 8pm and I can feel it today.

Jumped deer in three different locations. Still seeing lots of does and fawns. I see at least two or three fawns every trip out which is great. Just not seeing many bucks. Got a small 7 or 8 on camera, he won't be legal.

Got a owl, coyote, pigs and deer all in one cam within two weeks at a new location.

Finally found some oaks that dropped acorns last year though I'm not sure what kind they are (I know they are a species of red oak, I think maybe a pin oak). Bunch of rubs around this stand of oaks from last year so it ought to be a good spot this year. Problem is it's at least a 30 min walk on foot.

Here some pics and vids I got:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shumard oak
    Oak Gaul
    Pokweed deer love it. High in protein,
    American beauty berry deer like it
    Carolina buckthorn

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Shumard oak
      Oak Gaul
      Pokweed deer love it. High in protein,
      American beauty berry deer like it
      Carolina buckthorn
      Awesome, thanks for your help.

Comment

I'm new here and not a bow hunter (Yet). Just recently started going back out to the Grasslands, hadn't been out there since I was a kid. Did some hiking and a little rabbit hunting this past spring. Planned on doing a Spring Turkey hunt cause I had a lead on where some were but couldn't get the time for it. Daughter wants to bow hunt and I have been thinking about getting into re curve.

I have a .50 Black Powder and a 16 gauge Wingmaster. I'm trying to decide which one to take for deer this upcoming season out at LBJ. Ive heard its hard to take deer out there but Its all I got. No friends with land and not paying money to get on a lease. Besides I just like being out in the woods with my gun and a snack whether I get anything or not.

But for the life of me I keep thinking I read in the rules somewhere that you can use nothing larger than #4 buckshot on Public/NF land. Ive been combing through the rules and i cant find the answer. Does anyone here know?

Comment

There is no restriction on buckshot size on the LBJ.

Comment

Cloud, I'd recommend the ML over the 16gauge. With the ML you have a much better choice of what to shoot, 16ga is somewhat limited in shotshell selection.

JMO, and I love my 16 Wingmaster. If you had a 12, then that would level the field somewhat.

Shot size becomes an issue on the COE lakes.

Comment

Anybody heading out this weekend? Another weekend im going to be stuck at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
                Anybody heading out this weekend? Another weekend im going to be stuck at work.

Leaving today after work I'll be scouting and checking cams for 2 days finally

Comment

checked 2 cameras today and got a few turkey and a small buck a few times till it started to rain we had to leave it came down pretty good

Comment

Nice. Did yall camp out this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
                      Nice. Did yall camp out this weekend?

No we stayed at the best western in Decatur figured I'd sweat to death in my sleep but it ended up raining all night so it might have been pretty nice

Comment

Maybe something will use that rub again this year. I've seen deer use the same rub for several years. Sometimes more than one deer will use and old established rub.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

Maybe something will use that rub again this year. I've seen deer use the same rub for several years. Sometimes more than one deer will use and old established rub.

I'm hoping saw a few different good ones a few yards apart

Comment

Looks like you have a good spot.

Anyone planning on cMping out for the dove opener?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                              There is no restriction on buckshot size on the LBJ.
                              Pm sent froggy

Comment

Small 8pt running behind what looks like a doe. Doesn't look legal though. Next year he should be a decent buck though.

I'd upload the video but tapatalk keeps giving me a network error.

Comment

Working...
                                X