Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    I would get a pack. I've seen a weighted pack wreck some guys who were in running shape. Gotta get used to the way the pack feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any recommendations? Seems like everyone on rokslide and gohunt that I read reviews on are sponsors so I take those with a grain of salt.

2018 will be mule deer in NM (hopefully) and elk in co or nm the next year
    Last edited by hooligan; 06-06-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
      Tag. No hunts planned this year but I need to get back on my training schedule.

Does anyone have a weighted vest they would recommend?
      I use a 5.11 tactical vest and really like it

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        Any recommendations? Seems like everyone on rokslide and gohunt that I read reviews on are sponsors so I take those with a grain of salt.

2918 will be mule deer in NM (hopefully) and elk in co or nm the next year
        Kifaru or Stone Glacier

Comment

If someone would be interested in this I would let it go for cheap. PM me

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Kifaru or Stone Glacier

Yep. Or Exo.

I run Kifaru and it is expensive to get the frame and the pack but once you do you have it for ever.

Comment

Yep. Or Exo.

I run Kifaru and it is expensive to get the frame and the pack but once you do you have it for ever.

Never messed with an Exo but they get good reviews. I have Stone Glacier and really like the way it carries weight and it's very lightweight

Comment

Yep. Or Exo.

Thanks guys I'll check them out. I had no idea until I started reading a couple months ago how little gear I have for these types of hunts and I want to make sure to get the best quality I can afford so it doesn't fail on me

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                I use a 5.11 tactical vest and really like it
                I've had my eye on this for a while. Seems like it would be good especially for the gym/runs or throwing on to walk with the pup

Comment

Theres a pretty big difference between a vest and a pack. If you can afford it training with a pack will help a lot. It helps build hip flexors and make your skin tougher so you dont chaffe. I run a kifaru I bought used on rokslide for a little more than a pack from rei and its twice the pack you could get at rei. Ive had it two years and packed 10 animals. It almost feels better with 100# than my old pack did with 20#. Stone glacier and exo would be others I would consider.

Comment

SAID, Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands, or at least as much as you can. Obviously, we aren't climbing mountains for 8-10 days at a time for training. But I do know I was very humbled in the fall of 2004 on my first elk hunt, maybe it was the two hind quarters at one time in a Kelty Cache Hauler, but it made me a believer. Buy once, cry once. Buy yourself a good pack and spend time under it, it will most definitely pay off.

Comment

Yep. Or Exo.

Kifaru here also. The best darn frame and packs ever created.

Comment

I've got a mystery ranch metcalf and love it so far. This will be my first season with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in. Trying to get back to a good diet and exercise routine. Wife got pregnant early 2016 and daughter was born in nov so diet and work has been gone for over a year. Thankfully only gained about 15 pounds but it's all fat. September will be here quick. 30 min and 100 floors on the stair master kicked my rear today.

I need ab exercise ideas. Hate sit ups.

Comment

Everyone should listen to the Hunt Backcountry podcast episode 62

Comment

Spent some time reading up on rucking. Seems to me that rucking would be an ideal workout/program for this. As I said in a previous post that I believe creating a substantial base around the biggest part of the activity that presents the challenge is the way to go. I've done a ton of walking... now it is time to do a lot of rucking which will mean I will go from 15 miles a day on average doing unweight brisk walks... to progressing to 15 miles a day with #35 on my back/shoulders. It was eye opening when I did 8 miles (2 sessions) wearing a basic backpack with only #13. Tried on and purchased a 5.11 Rush 12. I like the size for a hunting pack and should be able to take up to 30-35# as an everyday training pack for next handful of months.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                                Everyone should listen to the Hunt Backcountry podcast episode 62
                                I will look that one up. I follow Steven Rinella, and he has a good podcast on backcountry fitness. Needless to say, my take away from listening to him is that all the crossfit stuff, while good for you, doesn't map to what you need in the backcountry. Putting in the miles, breaking in your boots, and taking care of our feet is what matters (at least that is what I gleaned from it.) Ironically, yoga was one of the suprising things. I personally can't stand yoga and prefer pilates instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X