No announcement yet.

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get your arse to the gym!!! Push through the suck son! Only 364 more days until hockey tryouts!!!

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    Man I don't know if it was just being worn out from work and the gym or if I didn't sleep good last night or what but my hole body hurts today lol. Hopefully I'm not getting sick. May take my off day today before the 4.5 mile ruck tomorrow morning with BHA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      I'll play.

20 straight days of both lifting and running or rucking every day, and joe defranco's agile 11 or whatever it is called.

Been on the football track or stadium every morning at false dawn or the trails out here at the state park with 50#. Lots of flying 100s, 400s and 800s. I hit a sub 60 second 400 the other day for the first time in about forever. My right hip has been talking to me on the trails with anything over 50# so not sure on that.

As for weights, I again purchased the strongest shall survive, it is an old school book from Bill Starr. Using a modified version of it, to fit an every day a week version of what I am doing. Hitting weights I haven't hit in several years on the squat, clean, press and hang cleans, feeling great actually.

I am a frequency guy, some folks aren't. But I bought a BIG ARSE calendar and I started the "don't break the chain" of Xs on the calendar. One maker blue marker for running/ruck and one red marker for weights. So far it has be fantastic for me to visually see it on the wall, and it feels great to get it hammered out every day by lunch. Sometimes life gets in the way and I have to wake up at 4 am to run or I am stuck squatting in my garage at 10:45 at night but whatever, just trying not to break the streak.

As for food, I always eat well for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is always my culprit. With wife and two kids, I just cook most nights with lots of veggies, mashed sweet potatoes and a hunk of meat, but no seconds and no dessert. But my biggest deal is if we go out, go ahead and eat and don't stress. I used to be the guy who would go off the deep end if I ate something crappy once, not anymore, at least not in the past few months. ha ha ha

Congrats to everyone on their hard work this year!!!!! Critters are going to hit the dirt.
      I like the way you think sir.

Comment

started early this year in february thought I was making good progress till I put 65# on my back for a hike a few weeks ago so I've added that to my routine trying to do that twice a week, along with the gym for weight twice a week and running twice a week(thats all my knees seem to want to do these days). when i hit the gym i do 40min of stair stepper or elliptical before hitting the weights. think i might have to figure out better eating habits I'm 5'8" 182 now and i thing when i started working out in february i was 184 so i'd take advice on that.

Comment

Round is a shape...

I'm planning on going in 2018 and started my workouts last week. My plan before 2018, drop 75# so carrying a 50# is lighter than I am today!

Comment

Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Did 4 miles with a 50lb sand bag this afternoon. Gonna have to switch to am hikes cause it was brutal hiking in the heat. Digging the new exo, very happy so far.

Last edited by Chris Martin; 06-02-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Got quiet round here. People taking the weekend off? I didn't. Plenty of heavy weights and bought an eliptical Friday night that has killed me a couple times. Including 30 minutes ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                Got quiet round here. People taking the weekend off? I didn't. Plenty of heavy weights and bought an eliptical Friday night that has killed me a couple times. Including 30 minutes ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I didn't have a very productive weekend. I did now and edge and do some house work today. But drank some whiskey this afternoon. [emoji20]

Comment

Pretty simple for me. Run 3-5 miles 4 or 5 days a week. Shoot my bow a bunch for an upper body workout and try to eat lean meats and veggies. My problem is my darn sweet tooth. I'd like to be down around 160 but it seems like I'm always about 180

Comment

Have officially started rucking instead of walking. Put in about 8 miles yesterday with a generic 13# backpack. Doesn't sound like much... but tell that to my shoulders and back.

Still researching a 20ish Liter ruck that is strong enough to pack 30lbs, could use as a day pack in the mountains, and not break the bank. Tried on a 5.11 rush 12 on saturday and am leaning towards it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I def started a little hard last week and ended up taking a break this weekend. I'm gonna get back going tonight. Thinking of doing this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post

Did 4 miles with a 50lb sand bag this afternoon. Gonna have to switch to am hikes cause it was brutal hiking in the heat. Digging the new exo, very happy so far.

Use the crib As much as possible. It gets load up how higher and less stress on the pack material overall

Comment

Mti

If you guys are really ready to test yourself about 8 weeks out from a big hunt, you can do Rob Shaul's stuff out of Jackson, WY. This program is NO JOKE, but it worked for me. No gyms, just a pack, two 25# dumbells and a couple homemade san****s and a bench/box.

You don't have to think and you just do it as written.

8-Week training plan specifically to prepare hunters for self-supported backcountry big game hunting trips in the Rocky Mountains, Canada or Alaska.

Comment

I did two rounds of this tonight. I can honestly say that's def the first time I've done 100 burpees. 43:54

Comment

So I've been keeping more of my triathlon training going than anything specific to long, heavy hikes. I'm not gonna be hunting out west till next year, would it be best to find and purchase a pack for hikes now or just get a weight vest and a couple rogue plates?

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                                So I've been keeping more of my triathlon training going than anything specific to long, heavy hikes. I'm not gonna be hunting out west till next year, would it be best to find and purchase a pack for hikes now or just get a weight vest and a couple rogue plates?

I would get a pack. I've seen a weighted pack wreck some guys who were in running shape. Gotta get used to the way the pack feels.

Comment

Working...
                                X