Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
    I think you have a pig problem....
    x2

Comment

Sneaky -

Look into a 3pt mounted mulcher, it will be one less engine to maintain on the ranch. I've been on the lookout for a used one for a while, they cost as much as one with an engine new. For now, I cut out any wood that will burn, and make several passes over each brush pile with the shredder.

Also - if you don't already have one, look into buying a chain sharpener for your saw chains. It will pay for itself pretty quickly.

We have a 30HP Kioti tractor. It is compact, and does really well on our extremely heavy brushed place in Eastland county. It is 60" wide, same as the mower.

Comment

That's a good problem!

Comment

I think you have a pig problem....
          Originally posted by JMAG View Post
          x2
          I know! Just the problem I wanted! I will be getting a trap setup under that feeder pretty soon. Being a fanatical cook, when I see all those hogs on the TC, my mouth starts watering thinking of a dozen different dishes I'll be making out of them.

Any ideas on those white markings on a few of those hogs?

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          Sneaky -

Look into a 3pt mounted mulcher, it will be one less engine to maintain on the ranch. I've been on the lookout for a used one for a while, they cost as much as one with an engine new. For now, I cut out any wood that will burn, and make several passes over each brush pile with the shredder.

Also - if you don't already have one, look into buying a chain sharpener for your saw chains. It will pay for itself pretty quickly.

We have a 30HP Kioti tractor. It is compact, and does really well on our extremely heavy brushed place in Eastland county. It is 60" wide, same as the mower.
          Thanks for all of this great info! Hopefully around spring I will be able to start looking into a tractor - probably something very affordable like a 9n (or something similar, that has a 3pt).

Does sharpening your saw chain typically hold an edge well, or does it dull out really quick?

Comment

Saw chain will dull depending on what I'm cutting.

Some woods are just hard on them, I can cut oak and maple for a while, but mulberry dulls it pretty fast. It seems opposite of what you'd think, but sure holds true. I've never dealt with the yaupon, so not sure what it'll do.

I got one of the sharpeners from Northern Tool, it was about $30. I had to order the correct wheel (around $10) the one that comes on it is for some honkin big chains. It took me a Youtube video and about 10 minutes of fiddling with it to figure out. Now I can sharpen a chain in just a few minutes. I rotate between 4 chains for my saw.

The 8 and 9N tractors are fantastic. Also keep an eye out for a 600 series or an old Allis Chalmers of similar vintage. They are easy to work on, and parts are out there for them. We had a couple of different 8N when I was growing up, I have a lot of fondness for them. If any have the old metal seat, be sure to put a couple of thick towels down, your butt will get hot.

Comment

no up dates...man....bummer here....

Comment

Gate pictures will be coming in less than a few weeks, I will be picking up the shredder from Stan in a few weeks also, and I hope to have first blood LDP's on Wednesday!

Comment

let me know when you go to Stan's...If I'm up that way, I'll drop in!

Comment

Place is looking good bro…making awesome progress with it.

Forget the goats. Get a longhorn or two. They are the goat of the cattle world and can fend for themselves. Mine eat cactus, scrub oak, huisache, and all sorts of stuff I cannot identify. As for the head-per acre ratio, you’d be lucky if it is 1:15…probably more like 1:25. Based on cleared pasture and rainfall. Hay is expensive…You can have as many head as you want if you are supplementing feed. I have a bull, 3 cows, and two calfs on my 25 acres in the hill country. I have two bordering neighbors, each with 25 acres that let me run cattle across the fences. With 75 acres I am feeding hay now. Also, if you have a cleared fence line, a single strand of hot-wire will keep the cows in.

NICE score on the t-posts!

Comment

Following. Excited for you and to see the progress. Hopefully I will be doing the same in the next year or tow.

Comment

let me know when you go to Stan's...If I'm up that way, I'll drop in!
                        Definitely! I'm very much looking forward to meeting you both.

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                        Place is looking good bro…making awesome progress with it.

Forget the goats. Get a longhorn or two. They are the goat of the cattle world and can fend for themselves. Mine eat cactus, scrub oak, huisache, and all sorts of stuff I cannot identify. As for the head-per acre ratio, you’d be lucky if it is 1:15…probably more like 1:25. Based on cleared pasture and rainfall. Hay is expensive…You can have as many head as you want if you are supplementing feed. I have a bull, 3 cows, and two calfs on my 25 acres in the hill country. I have two bordering neighbors, each with 25 acres that let me run cattle across the fences. With 75 acres I am feeding hay now. Also, if you have a cleared fence line, a single strand of hot-wire will keep the cows in.

NICE score on the t-posts!
                        Good info! Will longhorns eat yaupon?

Originally posted by MakingEnsMeet View Post
                        Following. Excited for you and to see the progress. Hopefully I will be doing the same in the next year or tow.
                        Thanks, and good luck on getting your little slice! I'll endeavor to keep you entertained with my toils out here! Just wait until winter, when I start building the 1500' run of fence...oh boy.

Comment

Great news! I just got in touch with someone who has 35+ years of ranch renovation/building experience, who is need of my IT skills!

Stay tuned for some hopefully good news on some horse trade!

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                            Great news! I just got in touch with someone who has 35+ years of ranch renovation/building experience, who is need of my IT skills!

that's the best kind of help!.....awesome!.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post

Horse trade? Your getting a horse?

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                                Horse trade? Your getting a horse?
                                My skills at detecting online sarcasm are as poor as my skills at turning down a beer. I meant a barter! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X