Hunting lease rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    I will be the first to say, I am not a fan of all kinds of lease rules. However, having written lease rules keeps everyone on the same page and understanding what is expected, for everyone.

I know it's your lease and you make the rules, that sentiment is evident on this thread, whether or not you put them in writing is the difference. Playing the devil's advocate, you may not want to post them as you could be a violater? The last two instances of lease rule infractions that I dealt with in SE Texas involved the lease managers breaking the very rules that they adamantly enforced to everyone else on the lease. It goes both ways. I can understand your point but written rules keep everyone on the same page.

This!

Comment

yep,my son pays.

Comment

I would go over the rules with him now and be on the same Page, or else down the line additional rules that weren't even gone over would randomly pop up and a lot of miss communication can be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
          Already sounds like trouble, cut him loose now and avoid the headaches during season!
          This.

Comment

I agree with others. Write your own rules. If he even questions you or gives you a hard time about them, kick him to the curb immediately because it won't end there. Don't let him ruin the good thing you've got going with the others on the lease. Not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              I just went through this on a new lease and I think you need to nail this part down. For us, college-aged kids (still under parent's wing) can hunt the lease accompanied by their parent. Any kid not fitting into that category would need to have their own spot.

If interested, I don't mind summarizing our rules in an email. Just let me know.
              This

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                No way in hell....No guests allowed on property without paying member unless another member agrees to be responsible for him and his actions. I have found in most cases that the second part is rarely used because of the responsibility issues. Now lifelong friends have hosted other members teenage kids when "member Dad" couldn't go but that's a different kind of trust.

I'm OK with grown sons hunting off Dad's allotted lease tags (although I can understand some folks hesitation).......but they better adhere to the rules set forth on age and horns. I look at it like this....either the member is going to kill that deer or his son/daughter is going to that day. It makes me no difference who kills it as long as its within our rules and his tag allotment......but we are a little more family oriented too. Hell we bring grown guests (like I brought Skinny) to help out with mgmt deer/does.

I hunted up to my mid-30s on my Dad's MLD lease because I was mostly duck hunting. Probably hunted twice a year with him....and those rich old farts including my Dad wanted folks to come in and help them meet their MLD buck and doe requirements. We boys were happy to oblige and there was no butthurt on who was shooting what on that level later in the season.

This too. A lot of leases are going away from family enjoyment so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by tom125446 View Post
                  I don't think I would pay to join a lease without written rules (access, guests, etc.). It makes things much more clear between lessee and lessor.
                  this too

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                    Had to think about our "rules" at our family camp... we're pretty lighthearted!

At camp:
                    -have fun
                    -Cut wood if the stack is low
                    -Clean the dishes if you're leaving
                    -don't sit in my wife's field
                    -don't sit in my SIL's field
                    -don't lock the gate
                    -no beer cans in the trash (crush and recycle)

Hunting:
                    -have fun
                    -try to make it an 8 point or better and outside the ears (15") for adults. You'll get harrassed if you kill a dinky one...
                    -kids shoot any deer
                    This too

Comment

Originally posted by RedBarn View Post
                      I agree with others. Write your own rules. If he even questions you or gives you a hard time about them, kick him to the curb immediately because it won't end there. Don't let him ruin the good thing you've got going with the others on the lease. Not worth it.
                      ...and finally, this too

Comment

Back when I managed a club in Trinity County we went from a poorly written and outdated set of rules to a well documented and updated annually set (new rules voted on by EXISTING members). I am 100% sure it made the club what it is today. Back then we typically had one spot a year to fill. Very little turnover. We always looked for good standing existing members to bring a new member and we would have turned to the existing member and held him accountable if he brought a pos to the club. We even had an application. Very specific to your situation, the time to get rid of a pos member is before he ruins a season of hunting. Don't accept this guy's membership, as so many people pointed out, he will look for every loophole in your rules and turn November into a nightmare for you.

I am no longer a member of the club I managed (I bought my on place down the road), but the set of rules still exist and are continually voted on annually and there is a waiting list of new members.

Comment

Get rid of him now. Save the headaches to come.

Comment

Kick him to the curb. Drama already. You don't need that.

Comment

I fixed all that years ago. No guest besides wife,son or daughter and they hunt with you only off of your tags. I never understood why people pay for a lease to let their friends shoot their deer crazy. Guest have cost people a lot of deer leases.

Comment

Find another guy you don't need to write rules for.

Comment

Working...
                                X