Hunting lease rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
    I believe there are serious problems coming your way ! for me it would be NEXT.
    Yep......hes gonna be one of those " I paid my lease money, I'm doing whatever I want" types. Not worth it.

Comment

There is no way I'd go one step farther with this person as a potential member. If you are the lease manager:
      1. You should have written rules
      2. You should be in charge and your decisions final and not subject to question.
      3. If anyone has a problem, they should address it with you, but since #2 is in place, once a decision is rendered, that's it... end of discussion.

This guy is likely one that even though you apparently have gone over the rules is already trying to challenge them and likely will continue to do so. Or at the very least he's one of those guys that will always be pushing the edge...

There's a lot that is not in your post and I may be totally off base, but from what you've posted, this is how I would handle it...

Comment

I agree with the above stated opinions. We had a similar situation a year ago. Father wanted his son and grandson who were in for the holidays to be able to hunt. Not a problem...they hunt off of your tags. His response? "But they have hunting license, they can kill a buck too." No sir, they can kill YOUR buck, not an additional buck." His response? "But they bought licenses. They can kill a buck too" we went back and forth and it ended up with him upset that they couldn't kill what they wanted to. We finally got through (I think anyways, because he quit trying to get us to agree) when we told him that the elder member of the lease had 2 grown sons that were also on the lease. If everyone could bring their grown kids to hunt, the lease dues for those members would be refunded and they could now hunt with their father, and everyone would have to pay additional fees to cover the lost dues from those 2 spots

Comment

I would find someone else because he sounds like the type that if it doesn't say it in the rules he will do it. It's almost impossible to cover every little thing in the rules.

Comment

I have been on leases that had written rules and I think it is a good idea. I have never been on a lease that allowed a guest to hunt without the paid hunter being present.

Comment

Lol, give him something like this (from a post in Ragin's Hunting Lease thread):

Comment

I'm not a paying member of your lease either can I come and shoot a deer

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  There is no way I'd go one step farther with this person as a potential member. If you are the lease manager:
                  2. You should be in charge and your decisions final and not subject to question.
                  3. If anyone has a problem, they should address it with you, but since #2 is in place, once a decision is rendered, that's it... end of discussion.

This guy is likely one that even though you apparently have gone over the rules is already trying to challenge them and likely will continue to do so. Or at the very least he's one of those guys that will always be pushing the edge...

There's a lot that is not in your post and I may be totally off base, but from what you've posted, this is how I would handle it...
                  Yep...Or he will wind up griping about every little thing...Go to the next applicant

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                    I believe there are serious problems coming your way ! for me it would be NEXT.
                    This X 2
                    I think your opening your lease up to future problems and he will "that guy" on the lease as stated by previous post
                    Just move to next person to fill your spot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggerjls View Post
                      For example, he thinks just because he is paying, he can allow his grown sons to hunt when he isn't even there.

No way in hell....No guests allowed on property without paying member unless another member agrees to be responsible for him and his actions. I have found in most cases that the second part is rarely used because of the responsibility issues. Now lifelong friends have hosted other members teenage kids when "member Dad" couldn't go but that's a different kind of trust.

I'm OK with grown sons hunting off Dad's allotted lease tags (although I can understand some folks hesitation).......but they better adhere to the rules set forth on age and horns. I look at it like this....either the member is going to kill that deer or his son/daughter is going to that day. It makes me no difference who kills it as long as its within our rules and his tag allotment......but we are a little more family oriented too. Hell we bring grown guests (like I brought Skinny) to help out with mgmt deer/does.

I hunted up to my mid-30s on my Dad's MLD lease because I was mostly duck hunting. Probably hunted twice a year with him....and those rich old farts including my Dad wanted folks to come in and help them meet their MLD buck and doe requirements. We boys were happy to oblige and there was no butthurt on who was shooting what on that level later in the season.

Last edited by Smart; 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                        Yeah....if you tell him he sons can't hunt an he wants a printed list of rules I'd tell him the fit isn't right and find a new guy
                        Ditto "not working out"

Sounds like a bad tire, quicker you change it the happier you'll be. JMHO
                        Last edited by wdtorque; 03-14-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

THIS! Always have written rules so no one can question it. I always had a new member prospect read the rules & make sure there were no questions in my presence before I would consider letting them on.

Comment

You don't need someone else's rules. Just write out your rules as you and the existing members of the lease want them to be. Send a copy to the new guy, and let him know that if he isn't comfortable with them, then it's not too late for him to get his money back so he can go find another lease somewhere else.

Comment

Almost afraid to say anything because the last time this got brought up we were all called Nazis! ( even though some of the same people are on this thread now preaching the opposite LOL ) But yes you should absolutely have written rules that are crystal-clear without any doubt of what they are and there should also be crystal clear written repercussions if you break set rules and you should make them sign it and return it to you so when they tell you they didn't know you can show them their signed copy of the rules and regulations. To include things like if you're kicked off the lease you have x amount of time to get your property off or if you're not invited or you decide not to come next year you have till this date to remove your property etc. etc. in a perfect world everyone's always doing the right thing and being a good steward of the land and doing what's appropriate and best for the land but unfortunately there's too many people that always want to push the limits and screw it up for everybody else imo.

Comment

This is "that guy" as stated before me. We are getting off a lease with two of them. If you print the rules, he will find a loop hole. Shuck this guy like three day underwear or you WILL have problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X