Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell the sex of a deer by its droppings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you tell the sex of a deer by its droppings?

I was told by a Huntmaster with the Texas Youth Hunting Program that there is a difference in the poop of a buck vs a doe. Thoughts?

If this is true, it would be valuable info when scouting.

Buck droppings are saltier

Comment

Thought it was the number of droppings.......and they taste different

Comment

Buck droppings are more clumped together where doe poop is more like rabbit droppings, this is what I was always told.

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

Sometimes! Depends on the moisture content of what they're eating, does and fawns will leave the small piles of pellets, bucks oftentimes have the pellets left glued together in one big ****. Seems like they all leave pellets when there's not much green for them to forage on. Not based on any scientific type studies just what I've observed from watching the neighborhood pets and what fertilizer they leave in my yard.

Comment

If Huntmaster told you that, you can take it to the bank!

Comment

Yup

Big matures bucks usually look more like dog turds than rabbit pellets, my observation in Kansas and Oklahoma anyway.

Comment

90% of the people on this site, myself included sometimes, can't tell the difference between a 3y/o and a 7 y/o on the hoof, a nubbin and a doe at 30yds, a 175# pig and a 350# pig and misjudge a 150" buck to be 245", etc, etc.....now you want them deciphering ****?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  90% of the people on this site, myself included sometimes, can't tell the difference between a 3y/o and a 7 y/o on the hoof, a nubbin and a doe at 30yds, a 175# pig and a 350# pig and misjudge a 150" buck to be 245", etc, etc.....now you want them deciphering ****?
                  Accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    X2

Comment

I agree, y'all are great guys but I would never ask y'all to age a deer or guess a hogs weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                        Buck droppings are more clumped together where doe poop is more like rabbit droppings, this is what I was always told.

God Bless

Bish

The clumped together droppings are kind of like a plug that is released all at once, typically when a deer gets up from its bed. They are produced by both bucks and does. After they clear the plug the droppings will resemble the normal pellet type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Duh!! The doe's tirds most definitely DO NOT stink!!

Comment

The iron clad theory is a doe will drop it while walking so it tends to be scattered whereas a buck will stop and take care of business. That's why bucks scat tends to be more clumped or piled, and a doe is scattered and separated.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                              The clumped together droppings are kind of like a plug that is released all at once, typically when a deer gets up from its bed. They are produced by both bucks and does. After they clear the plug the droppings will resemble the normal pellet type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^^ is what I have seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X