Day 2 - The Alamo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
    Do you think they really understood the magnitude of there action?

Yes! No doubt Travis did. He addressed that letter to all Americans in the world. Remember his famous line in the sand? He knew his place in History. True courage!

Comment

Remember the Alamo!

Comment

Every time I go to the Alamo I feel a sense of awe. Could you imagine facing down over a thousand of the enemy while you are holed up in an old broken down mission with only a few?

I am proud to be a native Texan. This is one of the many reasons why. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Heroes

Comment

Originally posted by postman
            What did Travis say when he looked over the wall of the Alamo and saw all the Mexicans ? "I didn't know we were pouring concrete today ". Sorry couldn't help it. I know this a serious thread and apologize in advance.
            Does talk like that make you feel better about your own inadequacies or does your ego need a boost.

I was named after W.B.T. and my relatives had a house a couple blocks from the Alamo in the 1850's. John Beckman (my great great grandfather) grew up playing in the ruins of the mission. I have a piece of art he sketched in 1899 of his memory of the Alamo in the 1860's. He has a couple other sketches he did in the Witte Museum of the Alamo. I will post a pic when I get home. Those guys were brave souls to the hilt.

Comment

Here is the piece I have over our mantle.

Comment

[ATTACH]695861[/ATTACH]

Comment

^ lol

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                    Does talk like that make you feel better about your own inadequacies or does your ego need a boost.

I was named after W.B.T. and my relatives had a house a couple blocks from the Alamo in the 1850's. John Beckman (my great great grandfather) grew up playing in the ruins of the mission. I have a piece of art he sketched in 1899 of his memory of the Alamo in the 1860's. He has a couple other sketches he did in the Witte Museum of the Alamo. I will post a pic when I get home. Those guys were brave souls to the hilt.
                    He did apologize B, you bringing back to light adds nothing positive to the thread. Have mercy!

Beautiful sketch by the way!
                    Last edited by Tmag; 02-24-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I have been to the Alamo a few times over the years and it is hard to imagine what it was like during that heroic battle. The walls of the Alamo grounds were in a much larger area than I can imagine or what they have. I recently watched a History Channel show about the Alamo and how things progressed. What I didn't know is that John Wayne helped build a replica of the Alamo grounds on a ranch north of Bracketville from what I rememberh. They call it Alamo City I believe. I need to look it up to see if you still can visit that location. They used it to film the John Wayne classic of The Alamo. Anyone have more info on this?

Comment

Been closed since August 2010, there is a guy trying to raise funds to reopen it.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/10107

Comment

Awesome sketch!

I thought Brian had said he was there.....lol

Comment

I like to think (or surely hope) we still have some good men like this left incase we ever 'get into it' again with anyone, which I'm sure we will sooner or later.

Comment

Travis' original letter on display until March 6th.

Another Texas fact is Chester Nimitz was born 130 years ago today in Fredricksburg.

Comment

Lol Chew. You win at funny post today!

Brave men indeed. I cant imagine being inside the Alamo looking over at that many enemy.

Comment

Working...
                                X