No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm still hard after them, but man this weather needs to go on else where. Yesterday was the first day I haven't seen a deer since last Friday, given I did see two at high noon checking cameras. Anyways going to be in a pop up over looking a protein feeder this evening. My GF just showed up so hopefully she can pinch on her first bow kill, it's all about her now. On a side note I will have my bow just in case a swamp donkey decides to show himself. She only has the green light on a doe or a 140" 8 with kickers off both G2's. He showed back up in this spot for the first time since January 14th so I guess he travels when the rut kicks in. I just wanna see that buck/doe fever kick in when they are at 20yards. We will be in the blind in 30 min.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep it's like a sauna. Garguy what's the latest on Fiddy? Are you giving it a break until this big cold snap hits Sunday/Monday?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Just a shiney white King Ranch that will get some dirt on it this weekend I hope... Would love to get blood in the back of this thing soon!!

[ATTACH]877288[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]877289[/ATTACH]
        Purdy!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
          I know this is going to open a can of worms like broadheads but in this heat how do you cover your scent or what do you do to stay scent free? I hunt in Bell County in Central TX and Harrison County in NETX. I put cedar limbs in a plastic box with my hunting clothes in Bell County but that will not work in NETX. And even when I wash my clothes in Scent Killer they still have a smell after being in that plastic box for a while.
          I just invested in some ScentLok camo. I know enough people that swear by it, and Cabelas had it on sale, so I'm giving it a shot. Last 4 times I've had hogs come in, they've scented me right away and hauled butt. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

Comment

Nothing so far.

My neighbors have arrived. Last time they were here they ruined a hunt. Let's see what happens this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Goose egg for me tonight.

First hunt in probably a year I haven't seen some activity. No deer, hogs or predators. I guess that's why they call it hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
                Yep it's like a sauna. Garguy what's the latest on Fiddy? Are you giving it a break until this big cold snap hits Sunday/Monday?

Cant get the wind perfect for my new strategy. Hopefully soon. need anything with a west on it.

I spent the day helping a nice fellow who I think is a TBHer trail a big deer he shot in the DCNF. He stuck the deer around 830am and knew he gut shot it. we went in about 1230 and started a quiet trailing job. It was hot and the blood was dried up and black. We literally trailed the deer until we ran out of light. Over six hours and he never bedded. Dried up blood until it got dark.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Cant get the wind perfect for my new strategy. Hopefully soon. need anything with a west on it.

I spent the day helping a nice fellow who I think is a TBHer trail a big deer he shot in the DCNF. He stuck the deer around 830am and knew he gut shot it. we went in about 1230 and started a quiet trailing job. It was hot and the blood was dried up and black. We literally trailed the deer until we ran out of light. Over six hours and he never bedded. Dried up blood until it got dark.

I don’t think Jason knows how to turn on a computer, but he can catch a fish lol. I appreciate you jumping in to give him a hand! He called a few min ago and was trying to tell me about it but my signal is horrible out here at work.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    Just want to see if yall had the same kind of days. Wed AM, cool, a little windy, lots of animal activity, deer moving, birds singing...you get the idea.

Thurs AM, quiet, cool, deathly quiet, no birds singing, nothing but squirrels moving.

Were yalls days the same or was it just mine.

We had the same movement. We thought hard about target practice on the squirrels Thursday it was so dead. I am thinking Tues would have been a good day too.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                      I know this is going to open a can of worms like broadheads but in this heat how do you cover your scent or what do you do to stay scent free? I hunt in Bell County in Central TX and Harrison County in NETX. I put cedar limbs in a plastic box with my hunting clothes in Bell County but that will not work in NETX. And even when I wash my clothes in Scent Killer they still have a smell after being in that plastic box for a while.

Hunting and learning how the wind works will go along way. I personally do not think there is scent control in October in Texas, just too warm. I do use scent control spray a lot to help minimize or because it gives us confidence either way. We are hunting Public from the Ground only this year! This is an arduous task as we all know lol, So we(my son and I) have started studying fieldcraft, camouflage and concealment techniques, movement techniques and hunting different wind patterns instead of the just Right in your face methodology! Crosswinds, Quartering winds. Setting up with parallel winds to there travel corridor just in range!

Comment

Dang I hate to hear that about the DCNF deer, it's ruff when you can't get a recovery. Hopefully you get that wind you need soon! We just finished up dinner(tenderloin, beans, and salad) time to enjoy the camp fire.

Comment

Got my stuff loaded in that shiny new fo-do-Fo'd. Got the trailer hooked up n Pioneer loaded... All I gotta do is load my ice in the morning... well that and make myseff get up!! Not sure about the wind yet... will see which set I go to at "game time"... Hot as it is, I'll probably wait until it gets light and feeder has gone off then put a stalk on the feeder to try to get a shot at a hog... Rest of the day will be for scouting, checking cameras on some oak flats and such... Next week hope to take a couple days to hunt while it's a little cooler...
                          Good luck to everyone in the morning! If I get one, I'll post up some bloody tailgate pics!!

Comment

Garguy, we're up and setup for the morning. Got a few spotty white oaks but like you said the others are dropping. Deer have dirt trails to those white oaks and circles around them waiting for them to drop. Beauty berries are all chewed up. Anxious to see what morning brings. HH

Comment

Didn't get into the stand until late this evening. So it was more about dropping a bag of corn and checking the cameras, then putting in about 90 minutes in the stand. The good news of the night was the call from my Dad that he dropped an 8 point. So it was back to the camp for a spiritual drink and a steak, then out to the woods for some tracking. Thanks to my brother's black lab, Mojo, we picked up a blood trail and found a nice sized 8 point with 2 broken tines on one side. It was a nice celebration for him. He had 6 feet of water in his house, and lost every bit of meat in the deep freeze. The alligators had a feast before the water went down. This will be the first blessing of the new freezer.

Comment

Today I went and freshened up hand corn and pulled cards. Last weekend I did a mid morning hunt and walked past one trail cam to get down to my other set. 5 minutes after I walked through had a 140 11pt eating corn there. Just my luck. Lol.

On a more important note today while pulling cards i killed a water moccasin 5 feet from my pop up, later right before dark I killed a copper head at the mail box so everyone keep their eyes open on the walk to and from stands.

Comment

Working...
                                X