No announcement yet.

Generators and Deer Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My last lease had electricity. I was able to leave stuff in the fridge, didn't have to listen to my generator and didn't have to worry about hauling in fuel all the time and having to fill it up all the time doing oil changes so often etc, etc. The lease I'm on now doesn't have electricity....yet. It will in the next couple of months. After one season of having to maintain my generator for use that often, I cannot wait to have electricity again. I spent WAY more money putting gas in that thing than I would've spent paying my share of the electric bill. I'd go where I had electricity. Not even a second thought for me.

If you were to go the generator route, I would definitely go with 2 of the Honda EU 2000's. You can run them in series depending on how much power you need at the time, you can just run 1. They are very quiet and fuel efficient. They're also safe for elects like laptops and DVD players.
    Last edited by Pullersboy; 01-21-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Just be careful with a generator. Put up when hot can cause your trail to catch fire and then that will spread to the pines and the next thing you know 500 acres of timber burns and finally stops on the neighbors land. Or you can say that and get away with it if you and your lease buddies ignore a burn ban, have an open fire and like a bunch of retards let it get out of control. Anyone know what incident I am referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
        Just bought the super quiet Honda 3000w generator. Freaking quiet is all I have to say.

Yep, amazing how quiet

Comment

The only problem with a generator is when it decides to quit running and you can't get it started again. I would go with the electrical hookup any day over having to run a generator. Plus electricity is much cheaper than fuel and less stuff you have to haul to camp with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
            If you decide to go with a generator,figure out the gas consumption so you won't have to get up in the middle of the night in the rain a d mud and cold to refuel.....I'd go with electricity.
            with gas prices as they are id fill up several 5 Gal jugs. if at all possible use "NON-Ethanol" Gasoline. they have a lot of stores in east Texas that sell it. it lasts a long time and burns longer.

Comment

I run (2) Honda 2000 gen's at our camp with an external 6gal extra tank.
              Longest that I have ran them without extra fuel was 32hrs. !!

Comment

I would only do the generators if I had no other options. If you can get a spot at the camp house or a camp spot with utilities that's what I would try to get . I run a generator only if when the power gets knocked out . The logistics of hauling fuel and anticipating when the tank will go empty ... Not worth the headache.

Comment

???

Well, one thing is certain...you either have had good experiences with generators or not

Getting electric to the camp site I'm looking at is not in the future, way too expensive, but then there's the privacy aspect with "in place" covered RV site on a concrete pad. The other situation is there are 3 RV's at the "electric" camp site ALL in close proximity to each other. About 4 years ago, one of the trailers had an electric short and caught on fire in the middle of the night. My TBH son and his dog woke up when propane tanks exploded and managed to get out, thank the Lord! 3 of the 4 burned up with only one surviving.

Here are some pics of that "terrible night, posted before on GS." I'll keep checking, good thread that I'm sure affects more of us than just me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                    Well, one thing is certain...you either have had good experiences with generators or not

Getting electric to the camp site I'm looking at is not in the future, way too expensive, but then there's the privacy aspect with "in place" covered RV site on a concrete pad. The other situation is there are 3 RV's at the "electric" camp site ALL in close proximity to each other. About 4 years ago, one of the trailers had an electric short and caught on fire in the middle of the night. My TBH son and his dog woke up when propane tanks exploded and managed to get out, thank the Lord! 3 of the 4 burned up with only one surviving.

Here are some pics of that "terrible night, posted before on GS." I'll keep checking, good thread that I'm sure affects more of us than just me.
                    Wow .. Okay I see why you have some reservations .

Comment

Electricity is pretty nice. .

Comment

I guess I will be the guy to say why do you need electricity?
                        I have not had the juice on a lease for seriously over 30 something years. I like it that way. no generators allowed either.
                        It is not inconvenient and with a little planning one can have a good camp

Comment

As long as you are wearing the black tactical slippers you can do whatever you want!! Seriously though I'd probably want to camp away from others. I've been looking at a Sportsman generator that is 6500w and is duel fuel. I like the idea of using propane to keep from dealing with gas related issues, plus they are suppose to run off 5gal of propane at max load for over 9 hours. Chances are, a 100lb propane tank would last you all season and it'd be easy to keep a extra 5gal around just in case. The reviews on these are decent and the price seems real good. I've seen them at Home Depot shipped to your door for around 650-700.

Comment

Get a remote start/stop kit for whatever generator you decide. Run the essentials (lights) on it until bedtime. Sure is nice to start a little propane space heater crawl in bed and hit a button for the lights to go out. Next morning reverse the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                              Get a remote start/stop kit for whatever generator you decide. Run the essentials (lights) on it until bedtime. Sure is nice to start a little propane space heater crawl in bed and hit a button for the lights to go out. Next morning reverse the process.

I like how you roll

Comment

Well where I'm at we don't have electricity, and don't need Tvs or any of that's crap, we get by with buddy heaters and bottle water and if we want a shower go into town and pay money. Just not that fortunate

Comment

Working...
                                X