Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it illegal to shoot bow in your yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything's legal till ya get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by mlmtx01 View Post
      My next door neighbor at A&M used to put his bow target in his kitchen then shoot from the front sidewalk through his living room and into the target. If he missed that target, he was going to hit his icebox. It was cool.
      This reminds me of that Justin Huish (sp) kid that won the Olympics several years back. There was a story on the news showing how he practiced.

He lived with his parents in a suburban area of some town/ city in Southern California. His practice range was to stand across the street from his parents house, shoot through the open front door of their garage, out the back door, and into a target in their backyard.

it probably wasn't legal there either.

Comment

I haven't been able to find anything on it for Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          Looks Like if you have 10 acres, are at least 150 feet away from any structure that may contain a human, and have a sufficient backstop to prevent any misses from leaving your property, you can do it. Other than that, it doesn't look like you can legally do it.
          That's the way I read it, but still go to the Mayor / City Council and just ask for guidance, can't hurt and your property may be safe to shoot in.

Comment

i shoot in my front yard along a privacy fence, last year 2 kilgore, tx officers showed up and ask what i was doing, i told them shooting my bow nothing was ever said and in fact one of them ask if he could shoot cause he was thinking about taking up archery .

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTom View Post
              Is it illegal to shoot bows in your back yard inside city limits?

I checked my municipal laws. Its says you can be charged with Class B misdemeanor - disorderly conduct.

I AM NOT A LAWYER.

I don't think any city ordinances can be Class B misdemeanors and are limited to Class C or roughly a traffic citation but with the potential for larger fines.

They can enact ordinances to prohibit archery within the city but there are no state charges for shooting bows that would be a Class B.

Comment

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
                I never checked, i just re-enforced my fence, but i see how it could be dangerous and why some wouldnt want you doing it. I invited a couple buddies over for some after school shooting a couple years ago, when one of the was drawing their bow their string loop gave and the arrow went right over the fence soaring into the air, not to mention he abt knocked himself out.
                Perfect example of why you should not sky-draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeter View Post
                  .......wooops

Guess Im a Criminal
                  im pretty sure its legal in frisco i checked awhile back

Comment

Not sure if its legal here we back up to over a hundred acres and were not in the city limits. But were still considered tomball. Closest house is a couple hundred yards away and were only on a few acres. Neighbors haven't said anything 2 of the 4 houses around me are family though....I need to look into Esther it's legal or not. I know our neighbors all shoot rabbits and a few fox with 22s. Don't think ill ever have an issue with the bow just wondering if it's legal. Anyone in tomball look it up yet?

Comment

Man, I'm glad, I live in the country.

Comment

I been shootin out of my upstairs spare bedroom down at my Delta Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post
                          It's illegal in San Antonio...but it's one of those ordinances that generally isn't enforced unless your shooting is causing problems with others. It's quiet and most folks have fences so it goes unnoticed...
                          Or you have one of them neighbors who like to complain about everything. When I lived in the city limits we use to shoot all the time in our backyard using our shed as a backstop in case we missed. During one session after pulling our arrows, standing on the other side of our front yard fence was SAPD. He was cool though and said he didn't see anything wrong with what we were doing and that our setup looked pretty safe but that we had to stop cause it was against city ordinance and the neighbor who called had pretty much done their research. We told him we'd stop and not shoot anymore.

On our way back to the front he noticed a bloody arrow in the back of my truck so I proceeded to tell him about the coon I had shot down at the ranch. He seemed pretty interested in the story. All was cool until a second cop showed up who happened to be female by the way and boy did she have a chip on her shoulder.

Funny now I live outside the city limits but my yard is smaller so shooting in yard is not really an option. Also, I would imagine there is something in our HOA that would prevent me from practicing in my yard anyway. Alls good, we have found the perfect spot for practicing that is just a short drive further out of town in an undeveloped subdivision. Looking like it might be a while before it gets developed.

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post
                            you might want to check on ordinances regarding the discharge of firearms and then see what their definition of a "firearm" is. In San Antonio a bow is lumped into the firearm definition hence why its against city ordinance to shoot em...

EDIT: I stand corrected...I just looked up the current city ordinance and it looks like the definition of "firearm" has changed for San Antonio:

"Sec. 21-151. - Definition of firearm.

As used in this article, the term "firearm" shall mean any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. "

I don't know when that changed but it reads as if it's okay to shoot a bow within city limits now
                            San Antonio Municipal code

Sec. 21-13. - Missiles.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the city to throw stones or other missiles, or to shoot with a bow and arrow, or to shoot or discharge any stone or other missile with or from a sling or from an elastic spring.

Comment

texastom where did you find that info? I just moved into clute and would like to know where to look that info up at

Comment

Can't do it in Killeen.

Comment

Working...
                                X