Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Decoys

How many is to many?

I have a jake, hen, funcky rooster thing and a 3d foam target.
    Is this to many to set out?

I only use a jake and one hen, and that works really well. The key is not to position your decoys where the gobbler can see them until he's relatively close. You want him to feel as though the jake has invaded his territory and attack it. When they see the decoys too far off, they tend to hang up.

Comment

Good info, thank you.

Comment

Decoys worked for me opening morning but not in the classic way. I saw three gobblers herding some hens around in a 50 acre greenfield. I belly crawled a ways into the opposite end of the field (about 100 yards away) and put out two hen decoys. The gobblers had no interest in the dekes or my calling since they had the real thing right in front of them - the very definition of "henned up." I was not optimistic about my chances but eventually the hens got curious about who the strange ladies were at the other end of the field. They wandered over with the gobblers in tow and gave me an easy shot.

Comment

I use one hen and one jake. But I’m a little different, I put mine in the open so they can be seen. If a Tom has a hen he won’t leave her but will work up close. If a Tom is alone he will come in ready to fight. I used regular foam decoys in the past with good results but I bought the Avian X this year and what a change the made. Every Tom that came into my set literally beat the hell out of them. It gave some great video footage. Good luck.

Comment

Never had any luck using a jake/hen combo. I either use one hen or none at all.

Comment

I've used as many as 6 decoys at one time, and I know ClayW had used that many as well. It all depends on the situation. I've been having luck with a jake, a laying hen, a feeding hen, and an upright hen. I don't use a tom decoy but that's just because I don't have one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a jake and anywhere from 1 to 3 hens. I have a gobbler but have not had much success using it.

Comment

jakes have worked the best for me.

Comment

Good info.... been wondering the same. Thanks for asking Neuse. Thanks to all those sharing experience.

Comment

I have a dsd jake and three avain x hens. One is a laying hen and tends to get abused.

They seem to work okay....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180402_101840.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24535614

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        I have a dsd jake and three avain x hens. One is a laying hen and tends to get abused.

They seem to work okay....

[ATTACH]903704[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                        Do you have more results using laying hen alone or combo of a couple hens ?
                        Last edited by ReydonPete; 04-07-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X