The Outpost - Great Little Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    That is what the 5 gallon bucket feeders are for. This one specifically is meant to be able to be packed in, setup, and discrete.

I have thought about making a similar type of feeder with 4" PVC. I totally have the skills to make a small timer board, I just don't have the time.
    I've actually done this and made them about 4ft long. I've got throwers on them I can set for just a couple times a week or every day that also have eliminator plates to keep the corn from coming out. Still have to change my design a bit but they've worked pretty good for the most part.

Comment

I've been building similar for several years. The ones I build hold two 50 pound sacks of feed.

I just put regular feeder motors & timers in an ammo can on them. They work great, and are easy to set out/move.

Rick

Comment

That’s neat!

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
          It looks great but 20# will not last a week. Wished it was bigger.
          It depends on how much corn you dispense. You can set the timer from 1 to 20 seconds I think. I have my main feeder about 200 yds away but wanted to hunt a secluded spot away from the main feeder and only dispense corn for 22 seconds twice per day. This will allow corn to fall for at least 2-3 weeks. In East Texas the bigger bucks typically do not come to feeders during daylight hours so I thought this might be the ticket to fool a big boy.

Best of luck to ya.
          Doug Key

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
            It depends on how much corn you dispense. You can set the timer from 1 to 20 seconds I think. I have my main feeder about 200 yds away but wanted to hunt a secluded spot away from the main feeder and only dispense corn for 22 seconds twice per day. This will allow corn to fall for at least 2-3 weeks. In East Texas the bigger bucks typically do not come to feeders during daylight hours so I thought this might be the ticket to fool a big boy.

Best of luck to ya.
            Doug Key
            Thanks. You as well. God bless.

Comment

following, saw this the other day and looks interesting

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post

Best of luck to ya.
                Doug Key
                22 seconds? It must not throw very much per revolution (did you mean 2 seconds?) I have a remote walk-in only spot in a thick creek bottom that might be perfect for this feeder

Comment

Very cool idea but I think I can make one for half what they are charging. It would be a good way to supplement hand corn for a week or so...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    22 seconds? It must not throw very much per revolution (did you mean 2 seconds?) I have a remote walk-in only spot in a thick creek bottom that might be perfect for this feeder
                    My bad. Yes, I meant 2 seconds. If it dispensed for 22 seconds, it would be empty in a couple of days. I just want enough corn for the deer to know it is there. Hopefully, they won't even notice the feeder above them.

Doug

Comment

I love the idea. At our place, it would be a hog wallow in a week. I hate hogs!

Comment

I like this idea and I've got a few spots where the small amount of feeding would be perfect for a long weekend of hunting. For the most part I hate running big feeders for the benefit of coons, squirrels, hogs and young deer.

Comment

Received the Outpost and got it out in the woods. Very easy setup and perfect my use which will be short term in any location.

Yes I could make one exactly like it for a little less (not worth my time) or use a bucket for about half but I've not had good luck with buckets and coons.

How do you guys pull 50 lbs up with paracord over a limb by hand? I guess I need more horsepower. The nice thing about 20 lbs is it doesn't require a huge limb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Got mine hung yesterday. I’ll give it a week before I hunt it and check the pictures to see it ithe coons can get to it.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2587.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	24518608
                                Can't argue with this!! That was taken this morning. Probably should have shot him. Oh well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X