Pawn Shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pawn Shop find

Found a first year issue (late 1934 to early 1935) Winchester 67 at a local pawn shop. Ive been wanting something super cheap to knock down coke cans with my son. He has a Savage Rascal with a Walnut stock, so it needed to be something that looked similar to his and not fancy like other 22s I've had.

This 67 had a cracked forend, a chunk of stock missing near the reciever, a teribble stock refinishing job, and most of the blueing is worn off. Its a single shot that will shoot Colibris, shorts, longs, and lr. After a quick test fire in the yard, I decided its still a shooter.

I didnt get a pic before i started messing with it, but I got the stock stripped down and smooth, glued the crack back up, and have a few coats of Tru Oil on it now.

'Now just trying to decide if I should leave the barreled action alone, or clean it up too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

First coat

Comment

Second, much more liberal coat

Comment

Nice looking work on the stock !

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Second coat was dry enough for a mock up. Im definately going to put another coat or two of Tru Oil, and then knock down the sheen with some 0000.

What would YOU do with all the metal?

I like the way it looks as is, but have also considered reblueing or Cerakote in a matte silver or bronze.

Thoughts? Remember, this one has no sentimental or collectable value. Its just for fun.

Comment

That stock turned out nice!!!

Comment

If it were mine, the only other thing I would work on would be the bolt and the trigger.

You know like working the bolt and pulling the trigger

Comment

Originally posted by cfortner View Post
                  If it were mine, the only other thing I would work on would be the bolt and the trigger.

You know like working the bolt and pulling the trigger
                  Ha, I am leaning toward your corner. I dont know if somebody modded the trigger or if it is just really well broken in. It shoots!

Comment

great looking stock, like the grain and figure to it. As far as the action and barrel, sure it would look good new but there is something about leaving the patina in place for sayin yes it is an old rifle from the day they made them well.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      great looking stock, like the grain and figure to it. As far as the action and barrel, sure it would look good new but there is something about leaving the patina in place for sayin yes it is an old rifle from the day they made them well.
                      Ok, I am sold on that. I will leave it alone. Thx for the the suggestion.

Comment

Pesonaly, after makin that stock look that good, I would at least clenched up the barrel and receiver and blue it. Even for just plinking it will look nicer. Jmo

Comment

I have one of those, it was my first rifle. I got it for my 8th birthday in 1964

Comment

Nice job on the stock. I would get a jar of oxpho blue and blue it yourself.

Comment

Nice

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X