No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a difference in failing to load and short stroking. Is the bolt picking up the next round out of the magazine and just unable to chamber it? Or is the bolt closing with the next round still sitting in the magazine? Does the bolt lock back on an empty mag?

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Samson; 10-17-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

All this talk about excess lube on the bolt carrier is not going to help. Unless the carrier or upper is out of spec and binding. I run mine dirty as hell and they always feed. Sounds like the gas block is a set screw type as many times as you have had it off. The barrel dimples may be slightly off or the block/tube has an issue. I do not think an adjustable block will fix your issue unless the block is the problem to start. Adjustable blocks are for reducing gas, not adding. You can tell a gas problem by where a fired round is ejected. If a new mag and gas block do not fix the issue. You will likely be drilling the gas port or buying a jig and pinning it in the right position, or both. Gas block ports are oversized to allow for some alignment deviation. Check the barrel port specs with a drill bit. On the bolt, you should be able to put your pinky in the end and push it in the upper and watch it lock, should not be tough to pull back and watch it rotate to unlock/come out. Let us know.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to through out the gas key is loose as well. Probably not the problem but an easy one to check while checking the rings. Really sounds like a gas problem to me.

Comment

Wow this isn't going well still ejecting just not reloading or holding back on a single loaded mag
          New adjustable gas block still not right
          Checked this gas port and cleaned and checked with a drill bit
          Removed bolt cleaned and checked gas rings they are not in line
          Bolt is stacked and not loose
          The brass is falling at 4 o'clock
          Is my buffer weight or spring my next step ?

Comment

My guesses: try a different gen mag, gas problem (add an adjustable block or hotter round), or a buffer length problem. Try to find a really short buffer.

Comment

Spoke to Ballistic Advantage and they recommend drilling the gas port with
              # 41 drill bit 0.096"
              Runs and tested great Now 8 weeks till the rut!
              Thank you all I appreciate all the help.
              Vap

Comment

What is the port spec from BA for that gas system and caliber? I think most of us suspected a gas issue, just curious what it shipped with compared to their opening recommendation. A few posts above you verified the port with a drill bit what size was that, and was that factory spec?

Heck a 5.56 can vary from .07 to .09x depending on barrel length, etc. I am guessing they went for an initial that would fire suppressed without being way over gassed. But that is just speculation. Glad you have it sorted!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
                Last edited by -HIC-; 10-23-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

0.0935 is the original gas port hole.
                  The recommendation from Ballistic Advantage was use a #41 drill bit to open the gas port to 0.096"
                  Vap

Comment

Thanks for the update! Sounds like it would have cycled ok with a suppressor attached. Glad they got you sorted! How does that BA barrel shoot? I have heard good things but do not own one.

Comment

Still one the breaking in stage but switching to a hunting load tomorrow it should be very good . I also have a 223 wylde from B.A. And it shoot great!
                      Vap

Comment

Working...
                      X