Deer jerky..... Nothing says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
    Recipe looks good. I put mine in the smoker at 165* till done using the high mountain kits. Turns out great and is a very affordable way to process your deer meat.

about how long does it take to get done when cooking at 165?

Comment

Do you use same recipe on beef? All out of venison right now. As soon as the big ducks start to cooperate down here I'll try them too.

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
        about how long does it take to get done when cooking at 165?

I smoke it for 3 hrs and then about another 3 in the oven or propane fire starter on my smoker. It can get too smokey tasting if you smoke it the whole time. Mine is really more of a snack stick than a jerky. I don't dry it quite as long as others because I like the taste and texture better that way. I keep all the extra in the freezer to preserve it.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
          Elk is for when you really love someone. [emoji6]
          [ATTACH]753745[/ATTACH]
          Erin loves me more..

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
          Smart have you tried the allegro fajita and brisket marinade. It's pretty good. Albertsons in Corinth has it. Used to marinate some bacon wrapped burgers last week they came out awesome
          I have not but I'd give it a shot.

Originally posted by bho0351 View Post
          Jerky making rookie question. What is the amount of time in the dehydrator?
          Originally posted by Big Todd View Post
          Ditto the length of time in the dehydrator. And tag for trying this.
          Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          Since no one else has asked......about how long in the dehydrator?

My dehydrator has tempo control so I usually run 140 deg for 8 hours or so. Every batch is different as far as exacts. I rotate the racks top to bottom at least once. I start checking in on doneness around 6 hours just to be sure. Its done when it's how you like it. I don't like it paper dry. I like a little chew or bite in my jerky.
          Last edited by Smart; 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            She loves me more..

I have not but I'd give it a shot.

My dehydrator has tempo control so I usually run 140 deg for 8 hours or so. Every batch is different as far as exacts. I rotate the racks top to bottom at least once. I start checking in on doneness around 6 hours just to be sure. Its done when it's how you like it. I don't like it paper dry. I like a little chew or bite in my jerky.
            Thanks. That gives us an idea of about how long.

Comment

Walked by those marinades for years..... Going to have to give it a try.

The Soy-Vay line are really good also

Comment

Thank you, sir!!

Comment

I've used the Allegro before, good stuff.

You're right, it's getting to be that time of year, I need to get to killin.

Comment

I use the allegro hickory marinade and cut up an onion and a garlic clove in it let it set for 12-15 hours then mesquite smoke it down. Idk what temperature as I don't have a thermometer on my smoker but I go for more smoke less heat. Usually takes about 3 hours for thinner pieces and 5-8 hours for the thickest pieces. You don't want to go until it's completely dry because it will be like chewing on a rock. It takes a few batches before you can get the feel for when to pull it off

Comment

Tagged for later, I have some meat in the freezer from last year that I need to use up.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                        Do you use same recipe on beef? All out of venison right now. As soon as the big ducks start to cooperate down here I'll try them too.

Yes......I have used lean roasts before ...

You don't went something with a heavy amount of fat

Comment

Ok, thanks Jason

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                            Ok, thanks Jason
                            Sure thing...that was supposed to "want" not went. **** fat fingers...

I guess I forgot to post these from earlier. Could have sworn I did.

Looks like its gonna take me about three 8 hour batches....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZZJerky.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	24412922

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZZJerky1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	24412923

Comment

What's the best way to slice it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech10 View Post
                                What's the best way to slice it?
                                Always across the grain for a better chew. I slice in 1/8" to 1/4" slices with a Dexter Russell brisket knife..........

Comment

Working...
                                X