No announcement yet.

Critique my dog kennel plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the kennels to be half on concrete and half on dirt/gravel. I would move or extend the runs so they come off the slab. Keeps the slab cleaner when they have a gravel area to pee/poop

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
      Oh and while you are doing it I'd just go ahead and make a 4th run if space is not an issue. It'll be cheaper to do it now than to have someone come back and do it later if you ever need to expand.
      x2

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
        I like the kennels to be half on concrete and half on dirt/gravel. I would move or extend the runs so they come off the slab. Keeps the slab cleaner when they have a gravel area to pee/poop

I'd rather have a somewhat dirty slab I can disinfect than have pea gravel full of poop and pee and have no way to clean it. I can only imagine how bad that would start to smell.

Comment

I would perfer the back side to have a gutter and add a small septic system for easy cleanup.

Comment

I'd rather have a somewhat dirty slab I can disinfect than have pea gravel full of poop and pee and have no way to clean it. I can only imagine how bad that would start to smell.
            You gotta scoop the poop either way.
            Pee washes on gravel the same as a slab.
            Spray with bleach or other cleaner regularly.
            When you wash a slab, where does the pee go?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
              You gotta scoop the poop either way.
              Pee washes on gravel the same as a slab.
              Spray with bleach or other cleaner regularly.
              When you wash a slab, where does the pee go?
              Down our drain out into the city ditch and far away from my house. Same with the small amount of poop we are unable to scoop.

Comment

For the inside storage put your door center of long wall and you are good. Walk in and shelves on each side

Concrete outside the pens need to be like a gutter to wash crap and pee down. (long side where numbers are.

Think A LOT about washing crap out. It will be a daily thing, so plan it around that as much as anything. Chain link is terrible for spraying water thru. I would go as large of squares in fence that you can. Growing up my dad had 8-12 pointers at all times. Guess who had to keep pens clean.

Keep your gates off ground far enough to wash crap under them. 2-3"

If you are rural I would fix some kind of septic system. If you are city, run a line to the city sewer line. Cleanouts every 30-50'
                Last edited by BrianL; 01-11-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Put a fairly good slope sloping down from the front to the back for easy cleanout.

Comment

You can disinfect what you can spray. So with concrete you can disinfect the entire surface, nothing can get below it. Pea gravel has a million tiny cracks for poop and pee to seap into that you can never disinfect.

Comment

I would use thicker wall steel pipe as well. It will rust bad where it hits the concrete. 2 3/8"x 3/16"

Comment

Down our drain out into the city ditch and far away from my house. Same with the small amount of poop we are unable to scoop.
                        Well, that's a little different. I didnt see any mention of plumbing from the OP

Comment

I didn't see on your plans anything concerning sun exposure, everyone is worried about dog poop but you don't want to slow roast ol' Fido either. Hot sun on concrete and cinder block will sure do it.

Comment

On the clean up of waste I cut the top 1/3 of a piece of 6" PVC and ran it across the lowest side of my kennel for washing waste down to pipe that connects to drain. High end of 6" pipe I plumbed with a water vale that sprays the waste down to drain. At first I used the method you mentioned above by washing down then scooping and it got old real quick with 3 dogs. My new system is a breeze and nothing to pick up after washdown.

Comment

I just realized you live in LaBelle. If you'd like to come by and see our runs and maybe get some ideas from them shoot me a pm and we can figure out a time that works. I'm not far off South Major Drive in Beaumont.
                              im gonna take you up on that! gonna pm you my number!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                                On the clean up of waste I cut the top 1/3 of a piece of 6" PVC and ran it across the lowest side of my kennel for washing waste down to pipe that connects to drain. High end of 6" pipe I plumbed with a water vale that sprays the waste down to drain. At first I used the method you mentioned above by washing down then scooping and it got old real quick with 3 dogs. My new system is a breeze and nothing to pick up after washdown.
                                man thats a great idea!

Comment

Working...
                                X