Barndo build, on a budget!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
    Right off the bat when I walked up, I knew something wasnt right with the steel door in the back. Pulled out the tape measure, and yep, my back door to the shop was in the Master bedroom. They are going to have to cut it out and redo the door.
    Come on man, you can never have too many doors.

Sorry for your anxiety level being stretched to the max. I know it has to be very stressful. Hang in there brother and try to enjoy the journey.

Comment

Boy it gets better and better. We just raised our first wall. Told the builder I wanted 9' ceilings. Yall see anything wrong with this?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1459713922548.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	24437918

Comment

Looks like you got some redesigining ahead of you. I hate seeing a build go south and feel bad for you guys. Hope you get it back on track and headed the right direction.

Comment

Good Lord, who are your contractors. May be better to regroup and get someone better out there. These are the "easy" parts they are messing up.

Sorry u are dealing with that

Comment

Man those guys are a joke. Sorry it's going so rough

Comment

Did you go with one of those barndo builders? If so who? Crazy mistakes

Comment

Updates?

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                  Did you go with one of those barndo builders? If so who? Crazy mistakes
                  No, he was more of conventional builder who thought he could do a metal building too, apparently.

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                  Updates?
                  Nothing as of now. Im still stuck trying to decide which route is going to be my best option right now. He told me that he has a very reputable structural engineer that he would bring in to make sure the I beams that are cut will be reinforced enough, and give his seal on it. This would be the better option for us, but I still get major heartburn thinking about cutting those I beams.

Im going to drop by every day after work this week to build Ts and corners, then start framing again this weekend. Hope to get most of the framing done by Sunday.

Comment

Sorry for your problems. Steady ahead.
                    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How are things coming along?

Comment

Man...... I believe I'd be contacting an attorney. That's some BS, sorry to see what your having to deal with...

Comment

Whats the latest Colton?

Comment

Just leave the 9' ceiling and then come back and wrap the metal beams in wood and have exposed beams... Maybe..

Comment

Sorry folks, little late on updating the thread. So I lost much sleep over what to do here. After speaking with a few engineers, and further supporting those 12" I beams, I decided to let them notch the beams. They welded a long 8" beam on top, then welded some plate to the area that was notched. He is then going to come back and run 2x12s paired across those I beams to further support them. Everyone seemed content with this fix, and I quite honestly was just ready to get moving on the project.

Saturday was a big work day. The ol man and I were going to be framing the exterior walls, and the sub was going to be sticking windows in and putting the skin on the outside. We were to be dried in at the end of the day. In typical fashion, when they got to the first window, they realized the wrong trim was ordered, and couldn't finish. What's new there.

We got all the exterior walls up, then started on interior walls Sunday. It pours rain every time we just think about working on the house. If the rain does indeed cease, we are going to hit it again Saturday. Maybe then, almost 3 months into this, I'll have a ***** metal building dried in. Then likely starts the tussle of what is owed for completion of the project. I'm ready for that argument.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1461160052515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	24440758

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1461160072061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	24440759

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1461160079041.jpg