Heating Your Travel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys heat your travel trailer when it's cold out side? I use a electric heater that has the fan that has a thermostat and says 1300 or 1500 amps. I have seen the space heaters that have the glowing red lines that scares the crap out of me in a trailer. I won't use one of those at all. I know a lot of guys use their propane and heater, but sure used a lot of gas.

Space heaters work great for me. No chance of CO poisoning either.

Comment

I used one of these in the main room/kitchen area pointed towards the bedroom area, as well a tiny little space heater for use in like bathrooms blowing under the curtains into the bedroom area when I was living in a camper up in Wyoming, got down into the teens several times and was nice and toasty with no issues but I would supplement it with the gas heater and get it hot before I went to bed and would kick the gas furnace back on again first thing in the morning. It sucks when it is 28 degrees outside the trailer and inside the trailer because you ran out of gas in the middle of the night. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Comment

I hate to use the furnace as the constant cycling on and off wakes me up. And it burns a lot of propane. I use the furnace to get to temp quick and then run an oil filled heater to maintain. It works great for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Space heaters work great for me. No chance of CO poisoning either.
          Yep ^^^^
          I don't trust those factory gas furnaces one bit

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a 12x24 Tuff Shed. I use the propane tank with a doohickey on top to warm the place up. Cuz I’m scared of dying, I turn it off and go to electric. Seems to work well for me.

Comment

I use my furnance and have a 100 gallon tank plus 2 30 gallon tanks.

Comment

I use two tower type ceramic heaters, but NEVER leave them on when not in the trailer. They also have tip over protection. If you are going to use on carpet, a square of ceramic tile is nice so they are stable. With the tower type, you don’t have to worry about heat transfer to the floor.

You want to make sure they are plugged into separate circuits and don’t run anything else that draws a decent load on a circuit they are on (i.e. microwave, coffee pot, fridge).

To the OP, I am sure they are 1500 watts, not 1500 amps.
                  Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-11-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

look at those plug in fireplaces. they work great, ours will heat my 42ft fifth wheel. I think ours is a AKDY.

we also have these as backup. no red stuff to burn anything, bought specifically since we have kids, dogs, and cats that could knock it over.
                    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-23...FQMLPwodSz0EVQ

Comment

Our TT has 50 amp service with two roof mounted AC/heat pumps, but we mostly use the factory furnace with the two on-board 40# propane tanks. The furnace ducting is routed in such a way so as to keep the pipes and tanks from freezing, and one tank will generally last us a couple weeks. Much cheaper (and warmer) to go with the furnace.

We lived in it for a couple months in Maryland while we were waiting to PCS to the next duty station and had to endure the Polar Vortex of 2014. I'm talking highs of 15 degrees F and lows around -3. The dump valves did freeze, but no pipes or tanks froze or ruptured. The furnace ran almost non-stop and one tank only lasted about three days, but trailers all around us were busting pipes and tanks all over the place and their owners were doing the "Walk of Shame" to the bath house everyday. Not us. I'm a total believer in our furnace. We also have a CO detector in the trailer.

Comment

Dr. Heater

It kept my small travel trailer toasty warm during my Iowa hunt last month. I’ve run it off shore power and off my little 2000 Watt inverter generator. Power consumption is 1500 Watts on high and 1000 Watts on low. I just set it on Auto and set the thermostat. Works great.

Comment

I use a ceramic heater. Works really great. I also use this for when I store it or a few weeks in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

usually a small electric heater will keep you comfortable.

Comment

We have a 34’ 5th wheel and when it’s below 30 we have to run (2) electric heaters and supplement with the furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X