No announcement yet.

Eco Boost or 5.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 2013 5.0, sold it and got a 2013 eco boost. Both were/are 4x4 crew cabs. I got better fuel mileage in the 5.0 by a little better than 2 mpg. Personally I enjoyed the V8 more just sounded like I was driving a truck. No real complaints about the eco boost, just isn’t for me and I don’t really see the advantage to it.

Comment

I've got a 2013 eco boost. A little shaky idle when I start up in the mornings.
      MPG is excellent 19-21 if you can stay at 70 mph at 1,900 rpm
      MPG drops allot once you go over 75, and 2,000 rpm to 14-16.
      Lots of passing power when you need it.
      Since I learned to stay under 70 mph, I've been getting over 450 miles per tank.

Comment

Eco has more towing capacity than the 5.0

Comment

I had a '13 Platinum Super crew with the 3.5 ecoboost... It was an OK truck but I never could get used to the "hesitation" in that EB engine... When you roll out to go around someone, you got to plan ahead because there's a hesitation/time between when you mash the pedal and the computer tells the turbos to wind up and the injectors send the fuel to the engine... I put 156K miles on it, orderd a '18 King Ranch initially with another EB engine, then switched at the last minute to the 5.0 V8. Got it last October and have 32K miles on it so far... For me personally, it is a MUCH better drive train. You mash that naturally asperated V8, and that sucker goes... no hesitation, and I'm getting better gas mileage with the 5.0 than I did with the EB. I am VERY glad I got the V8. I pull a trailer with a Honda Pioneer on it and gear. I also have a 10 foot dump bed 6 yard trailer that I haul dirt, rocks, sand, mulch and such. Have a 20 foot lowboy that I haul my 57 HP John Deere tractor w/loader and various implements on the back. Have an Alumacraft 18-60 rigged for bowfishing on a trailer. This truck does a very good job with all of that. If I ordered another one today, It would be the 5.0 and NOT the EcoBoost.

Edit to add: I espeically like the 10 speed tranny that this '18 has. The '13 EB had a 6 speed and when running with cruise, it was constantly downshifting whenever there was an incline... annoying to the point I didn't use cruise when pulling any kind of trailer... The 5.0 with the 10 speed tranny is nice.
          Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 07-06-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

2014 5.0 4x4 Super Crew that will flat haul butt when needed and it ain't no slow poke anywhere on the road or in town. I do not know about mileage as mine goes from over to 17 to under 11 depending on how I am driving or what I am loaded with or towing. Never bought a vehicle for mileage so I really do not care what mileage I get as long as it gets me there and back.

When I bought this truck in 2014, the Eco Boost had been out for 3 years as had the 6.0 diesel I bought in 2006. Spent $12,000 on the 6.0 so I was not about to do that again with the Eco Boost, never even drove one as I had my mind already made up when I started looking. Maybe a mistake, but I am very happy with my '14 5.0!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              About to hop into another truck and wanted everybody’s opinion on the two. Heard great things about both.
              Xxvsdcsvxdqsexfvsqbaqscscassxn8jeSabqzssae32222332 e bps

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the 3.5 Ecoboost in a 2018 Expedition, it’s a stud.

I’ve had the 5.0 in an F-150, it sounds a lot better.

Both got the jobs done. I was against the EB for a long time but it’s pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
                  Xxvsdcsvxdqsexfvsqbaqscscassxn8jeSabqzssae32222332 e bps

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
                  My Facebook friend said she doesn't feel motivated.This could be the reason.

Comment

My GF owns a 3.5 EB, it isn't a bad truck, just a lot of moving parts (twin turbos and all). I tried to talk her into the 5.0....simpler power train. That is the way I look at things being a mechanic. Both will tow, both will get about the same mileage, 5.0 sounds like a real truck.
                    Now if you go with the 3.5 EB the first thing you want to do is install a vapor separator in the PCV system. This will keep the back of the valves cleaner, it's an issue that the 3.5 has, ford knows it, they get big$$$$ to do the repair. I did it on my GFs truck at about 9000 miles.

Comment

My 5.0 gets better mileage then my buddies eco with same size tires, mine has 150k miles no major problems. J-Bone on here just hit 250k miles on his 2013 5.0 with no major problems. The 5.0 has been best truck I've ever owned

Comment

Thanks fellas. Sounds like the simpler motor that will do anything and everything I need to do with a 1/2 ton will be the 5.0.

Appreciate all the opinions!

Comment

I may have had a Lemon, but not my problem anymore. Some may recall the various threads I put on asking for advice so here's the basics:

2013 Ford King Ranch with the Eco engine. LOVED the truck and look but right around 70K miles, here we go...sudden loss of power, engine light on, scared the hell out of me since I'm retired now.

Had it repaired, repaired again...drove great for a day or two and here we go again. Finally had 2 Ford mechanics, one on TBH, tell me they had seen a LOT of problems with this year model and also seen engine replacements less than 150K miles? They BOTH told me, in all fairness, that models after 2013 were much better but did not help me.

Got rid of it and happy with my Tundra now. I know, we all can have great rides, but there is always one and with me it was the Eco in this year model. NOT bashing, just my experience. Oh....this particular ECO engine had lot's of power until I had to tow my 16' Tandum with a Crew UTV...still had response but averaged less than 10MPG...but again...not just the Eco. Tundra MPG sucks but it has all the power I need in the 5.7.

Comment

I couldn’t decide when I went to buy mine in 2015. The dealership had two identical trucks, other than the engine, that I was interested in. I test drove both and the 5.0 sounded much better but the EB was noticeably quicker and more fun to drive in the “seat of the pants” test. I ended up buying the Ecoboost because eventhough it had the higher sticker price they would sell it to me for less.

I have 32,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it at all. It is fun to drive and tows like a beast!

Comment

I got the ecoboost in my 2017 Expedition. Really impressed with the gas millage in town and on the road.

Now, when I trailer my boat it does take a bit of a dive, but still happy with the engine.

Comment

I just bought a 2018 5.0v8.
                                My thoughts so far:
                                V8 has plenty of power
                                Put bigger tires on it with 3.31 gearing and I am still getting 18mpg in Houston.
                                The auto start/stop technology in all of the new F150s is a real pain in the ***

I liked the V8 more when I drove them back to back comparing the 3.5 eco and the v8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X