Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Going Elk Hunting in CO - Help Me With Gear Recommendations! (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
    Camofire has some Mystery Ranch packs last week. I don’t think they sold out so it might be worth watching that site.

Like I mentioned Saturday at CCR, this year is my first elk hunt so I’ll be following along. We’ve been planning this for just over a year to allow time spread out the big ticket items, get into better shape, and really research our options for hunts (and e-scout the specific units we are interested in).

Just finished watching the video, I think you will need to remove the light from your stabilizer. I don’t use one, but I think I saw that’s a no-no in the Colorado regs.

I’ll go looking for it and will post a link once I find them.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that light will have to come off your bow before you use it in Colorado. All weapon rules/restrictions are on page 13 of the PDF link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Based on convos with Adam, I'd suggest buying a pair of running shoes and wearing the soles off prior to the hunt, in preparation!

Comment

I'm going on my first western elk hunt this September and I have been researching gear for the past few months. I have almost got it all purchased, but below is what I will be taking.

Clothing:
        Base Layers (merino wool):
        Badlands Muton SS Shirt
        Badlands Ovis 1/4 zip long sleeve
        Badlands Mutton bottoms

Mid/Outer layer:
        Kryptek Dalibor Pants
        Kryptek Sherpa 1/4 zip hoodie

Insulation Layer:
        Kryptek Kratos II puffy jacket

Rain Gear (Still undetermined)
        Either Badlands EXO or the Slumberjack Windage

Boots:
        Meindel Ultralight 10" (Cabelas)
        Vasque 6" Breeze Hikers as extra pair

Gloves:
        Badlands Tracker Gloves (multiple pairs)
        1 pair of Goretex gloves for bad weather

Gear
        Pack:
        Tenzing TZ 2200 Daypack (for me I don't need a meat pack as we will be dayhunting via horses)

Bow:
        Hoyt Defiant (Primary)
        Mathews Drenalin (Backup)

Optics:
        Nikon Monarch 8x42 Binos
        Bushnell Trophy Spotter
        Leupold RXII Rangefinder

I know I left a few things out, but this is what I would consider the essential gear for the hunt.

Comment

Following, I will be up there late September as well. The diet and training has already begun. I learned on my last hunt, being in shape was the most important thing if you want to enjoy the hunt.

Correct, you cannot have lighted sights. I just remove my batteries.

Comment

I’ve only been a couple of times. This is my third year. I don’t have the gear/ camo that some suggest, not my cup of tea. I hunt in llbean chamois shirts and bdu pants. I purchased a MR pack this year, it’s expensive but i think worth it. Serves 3purposes so seemed worth it . Last year hauling out on my old system, Alice frame pack, was enough for me to want a better pack. My boots are good but will probably replace those next year. Side hills kill my ankles

Comment

I recommend one of these headlamps by streamlight. I love this one , last almost all night while I was deboning my cow. Bright with flood and spot , rechargeable with a micro usb phone charger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We hunt every year up by meeker north west Colorado, first week in September. I just wear normal work clothes with a leaf suit over. It's hot walking in early afternoon then cool at night. Dont over think it on your clothes.

Comment

And for a little inspiration for you, my old neighbors sent me this today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

To start.....its a trip to Colorado not a Trip to the moon. Most first timers take the advice of folks who have never been there and WAY overpack and over gear.

The HUNTING EQUIPMENT NEEDED IS BASIC

the specialty stuff has to do with camping.

I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame Pack and fill it with the gear I need for a weeks hunt: Clothes, 1 man sleeping bag, 1 man tent, freeze dried food, GPS, paracord, knives, hatchet, iodine water tablets, etc.

I have a basic day pack I use while actually hunting, the frame is too much to carry day in/day out.

Most places you hunt you will make camp close to a truck.....on some of the units we hunt we can use ATV's which we pull trailers behind them and carry dry boxes/ice chests with additional food and camp kitchen stuff and a canvas tent/bigger tents for a more comfortable base camp. Our space allows for 1 gun/1 bow depending on what season your in.

I use Irish Setter 400 gram Vapor boots...right at 2 lbs a piece. you don't want heavy, insulated boots. I'm really big on saving weight....that will fatigue you more than anything. I carry a pack with binos/rangefinder, knives, food, water and my weapon and that's it. Everything else, leave at camp. Clothing, just basic academy realtree clothing but I do spend money on northface and underarmour base layers. Early season I use thin stuff. Don't want to wear stuff that is too warm and heavy. Wool socks are a must....cotton socks are good for starting fires and that's about it.

September hunts are generally mild but you can get rain....bring a rain suit, although I've never needed one. make sure its light weight if your gonna carry it in your pack. Frog Toggs make a decent one that weighs almost nothing.

the only thing I would recommend as a must have is a GPS. not one on your phone a GPS with replaceable batteries to keep from getting lost.

Have fun, good luck. on the first couple trips don't set your expectations too high, enjoy the mountains and get a feel for western hunting.

another cool accessory but not 100% necessary is a Jet boil. makes cooking 100x's easier.

ill leave in the morning and hunt all day. a mid day lunch/nap out on the mountain is a great treat.

One last thing if I haven't mentioned it enough already.....CUT DOWN ON WEIGHT.

Leave the spotting scopes at home. too much weight and not enough opportunities to use them. elk are always moving and the odds of you spotting one at a distance you couldn't see with bino's and getting over to it are extremely slim. A spotting scope is a great tool in a lot of areas....Colorado high country isn't one of them. A lot of areas you won't be able to see more than 100 yards in any direction anyway. Big Binoculars are another thing to leave at home. a basic 10x42 pair is plenty. if you absolutely must pack a pistol, carry a small one like a M&P shield. A heavy handgun is gonna wear you down. you don't need monster knifes or a huge bone saw....I carry a lightweight knife kit and folding saw. Honestly, you probably own all the gear already necessary to get you 90% of the way there....just a few items, like a jet boil and GPS, are all most need to complete their trip.

Colorado Hunting is amazingly simple and one of the most over-talked about and over-complicated topics around the hunting world.

One last thing....bring a zippo lighter and some firestarters. makes that campfire much, much easier to get going
                    Last edited by txtrophy85; 05-02-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Leave your cotton at home, you never know when or how much it will snow and blow.
                      A headlamp or clip light is great hands free light source.
                      Put a chainsaw on that list, bettlekill is falling everywhere up here and all over Colorado too. You might get blocked in on a remote road.
                      Good rain gear is a must.
                      Canny has a good list to follow.
                      What kind of tires are on your vehicle, you need good 10 plies for mountain road driving.
                      Have a good wool blanket for over that sleeping bag in case of severe cold.

Comment

game bags, couple of good knives, and a sharpener

Comment

My last guide recommended learning to breath with a plastic bag tied over your head.

Another old timer who had many back country hunts under his belt told me....Don't walk faster than you can breath

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk Gear.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	24538766

Comment

There used to be a guy that posted on here a lot that had a screen name to do with bowhunting elk. Can't remember it though but I bet he would be helpful if he was still around. (insert sarcasm) Lol.

I have no help other than to wish you good luck @Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by LemmeOut View Post
                              There used to be a guy that posted on here a lot that had a screen name to do with bowhunting elk. Can't remember it though but I bet he would be helpful if he was still around. (insert sarcasm) Lol.

I have no help other than to wish you good luck @Michael.
                              He's still here!

Comment

Some sort of gps with public land maps if your hunting public land. There aren't many fences or boundaries markered. It's the hunters responsibility to know the boundaries. These rinos are pricey but we like because we can radio between other guys and transfer position of another hunter and go to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X