Volunteering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteering?

How many of you volunteer regularly? What organization do you volunteer with? Is there a specific reason you feel called to volunteer for that group?

Local SCI chapter. I feel blessed to have the hunting and fishing opportunities that I’ve come across. It feels good to be a part of something that gives back. Gives me a sense of accomplishment and a strong sense of purpose when I do something that really matters to someone else. Plus the opportunity to meet new people and get new perspectives on things.

Comment

Rotary Club

Comment

Our church--I am a committee chair plus I oversee the "Grey Army" (old retired guys who do all the minor maintenance). Also do the archery range when the church goes to the outdoor learning center once a year, and I attempt to do feral hog control for two friends.

Comment

Usually with the guys in my Sunday school class. I like to help people who are less fortunate or are going through tough times

Comment

Boy Scouts, I got involved about 14 years ago when my oldest son joined as a tiger (1st grade). He is an Eagle Scout and my youngest, now a sophomore in HS is working towards his eagle. I wasn't a scout as a youth so I'm living vicariously through them! I enjoy watching the boys mature into young men and being a part of it.

I also volunteer at our church and the school. Not on any specific committee but just help wherever I'm needed and can.

Comment

I dedicated 18 yrs. to my local Volunteer Fire Departments.

Just wanted to help my community. Took every training class offered, retired as Deputy Chief.

My wife, son, daughter, and son in law still serve.

Comment

ARC of Fort Bend. Formally known as the Association for Retarded Citizens.
                My Brother in law has Down syndrome and it is n organization my whole family takes part in. I do not volunteer as much as I should however, I feel good when I do. Their motto is quality of life for all. The money we raise goes to programs to benefit the mentally retarded citizens which are some of the most loving individuals I have ever met.

Comment

I'm a volunteer instructor with TPWD, average 4-5 activities per year, also been helping with TYHP hunts as a camp hey boy.

Comment

Boy Scouts. Been in and around it since my son started as a Tiger cub when he was 6 years old. He's 23 now and I'm still there. Same as said above. Watching them grow from boys into men and being involved in that is a privilege and a humbling experience.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I volunteer in any program my boys are involved in. I am not one of those parents that likes someone else to raise my kid. I have volunteered at the YMCA, the kids school, cub scouts and boy scouts, youth football, and now at 4H.

Comment

I insist on giving back in this house. Especially to my community.

There is a rehab hospital not far from my home where many soldiers and civilians rehab from great injuries. I am friendly with the athletic director there and he asked me if I would hold a archery clinic at the hospital for patients. I jumped at the idea. So, oldest son, his girlfriend and I run a small archery clinic for those at the hospital a few times a year on Hospital grounds. I would not stop doing that for the world. One of the MOST fulfilling things I have ever done in my life.
                        5626 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
                        KIMG0373 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

The other thing I/we do each year run the archery range at National Hunting and Fishing Day in September. It is a nationwide event that takes place the same day throughout the country. Myself and a crew of about eight volunteers are on the archery range(little league field set up for archery) from 9am to 4pm all day teaching kids, women, grand parents and even had a few politicians come and fling a few sticks.
                        Another very rewarding day promoting the outdoors, hunting and fishing. Also at this day. Every kid that comes get a free cane pole, line, hook, bobber and worms to fish on the lake. Vendors all over showing how hunters, trappers and fishers and NOT bad people. We try to educate the folks who come about what we do and land carrying capacity ect. We have been holding this FREE event for the last 6 years and now towns in our area are fighting to have it hosted in their town because it has become so popular.
                        KIMG1365 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
                        KIMG0405 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
                        KIMG0340 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

When my kids were younger i was known as "coach" now it's Church, I'm a youth leader and mission trip leader. We do VBS and work with the homeless in one of the poorest zip codes in San Antonio.

Comment

Volunteer fire department and my wife is a board member for Burleson county Relay for Life so I help her with all of their fundraising events.

Comment

For several years I was a volunteer judge for the VICA machining contests. Traveled all over the state judging different districts. I was also a volunteer search and recovery diver in N. Texas until I had to quit diving.

Comment

Working...
                              X