No announcement yet.

Goat/Sheep Feed vs. Deer Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm paying $18.50 per hundred pounds of bulk ACCO. My feed store in Junction delivers it straight to my feeders for a $60 fee, so about another dollar per 100 pounds since their trailer holds about 6,000 pounds. This is 18-20% protein as the mix varies at different times of the year.

Tim
    Last edited by timoub007; 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
      I'm paying $18.50 per hundred pounds of bulk ACCO. My feed store in Junction delivers it straight to my feeders for a $60 fee, so about another dollar per 100 pounds since their trailer holds about 6,000 pounds. This is 18-20% protein as the mix varies at different times of the year.

Tim

That's not a bad price.. And what month of the year so you feed protein?

Comment

Now that I have a hammer device on one of my feeders (acquired this summer from Mike) I do not stop. Prior to this year, we would last fill the free choice feeders in September, timed so that they would run empty just as bow season was opening. Then we would have them refilled the first week of December. So we were feeding 10 months. Now this season they were getting 40 pounds per day from the hammer and never really went without.

We had WBC scheduled to come fill all of the feeders last Monday, 12/6, but due to the rains we had the ranch was too wet all of last week. They were able to get in this week and now all the critters are happy. Should help the axis get their antlers kicking!

Will make hunting this weekend and new year's weekend a little tougher, but better overall to get everything through these cold fronts.

T

Comment

Originally posted by bcdawg1 View Post
          Have fed 20% sheep/goat pellets for the last couple years in the hill country, deer hammer it. In comparing labels side by side with 20% deer pellets from the same mill the goat pellets had a slightly higher fat content and about half the vitamin A content, only detectable difference from the labels. The goat/sheep pellets were larger diameter than the deer pellets but the deer chewed them up just the same.

Just my opinion and am sure many will disagree, but if my deer were in a pen and eating nothing but protein I could be concerned about differences in trace minerals but am feeding free range deer and the pellets are only part of their diet.

Am also interested in where to get 16% cattle feed for $3.50/bag as I will feed it in a heartbeat if I can get it for that. The sheep/goat pellets I have been buying run about $1.50 per bag cheaper than the deer pellets, around $7/bag.
          What brand of feed and where do you get it?

Comment

Recycle

Recycling
            I just checked our local brands and really can't find a difference between goat and deer pellets, same protein, same minerals, same fiber, my deer are wild and don't live on pellets solely

Comment

tagged

Comment

I need to look into this. As mention above it is a supplement

Comment

Originally posted by holdin4horns View Post
                  I have read several articles and done a little research and found that most deer protein contains approx 16% protein. Most Sheep and Goat feed contains at least 16% and up to 20% protein. Not a big deal. However...

The advantage is the price. Sheep/Goat feed can be HALF as much as the deer protein. Also, most "deer" or "wildlife" protein is remnant feed not passing certain criteria for livestock, and is marketed and sold under the label of deer and wildlife feed. So it appears that we are buying a second rate product for twice the price????

I'm thinking about using sheep/goat feed (20% protein) at our lease this year. Same or better quality and can afford more at a cheaper price than usual.

Does anyone currently use sheep/goat feed instead of deer protein??
                  I have in the past. Used cattle/calf sweet feed also.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    All-stock sweet feed, mixed with corn.
                    This would be a dry sweet feed? Do you have problems with ants in the summer?

Comment

We have been feeding protein to our deer for many, many years. I can tell you feeding protein and cheap are not even in the same sentence. We have tried many different brands through the years. Something that is not being said all proteins are not alike. We have tried an off brand that the deer ate it like there was no tomorrow to expensive brands that deer ate it the same as the others.
                      Looking at the tags will not lead you to much information as the tags only tell you what is required by law.
                      We tried Purina Antler max and didn't see much to it except broken main beams during the rut. We are currently feeding L/E and seeing much improvement in antlers and weight in our mature deer. L/E sent out a biologist to the ranch free of charge just to look over our browse and what the deer would eat. They came up with a plan on what to feed depending on the season and range conditions. So depending on rainfall amounts, amount of browse we get our protein at different levels (%) of protein throughout the year. L/E is the only company that does this for us. And also contact you during the year to see how things are progressing.
                      We are a low fence operation with Bowhunting as the only option. This year we took a 170" ten point that weighed 212 lbs live weight.
                      I can tell you % protein is not the only thing you need to think about. On our 3800 acres we feed about 65K+lbs per year of protein L/E pellets and about 5 tons cotton seed in 8 feed pens, (free range). About 1 protein station for every 475 acres, and need to add more stations to get to 1 station per 250 acres. AS you can see it gets expensive but if are limiting the amount that the deer eat then you are spinning your wheels and not getting the benefit you desire from your deer herd.

Comment

Working...
                      X