55 gal Drum Deer Feeder Build Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55 gal Drum Deer Feeder Build Questions

I have some 55 gal barrels I will be making feeders out of soon. I will be using the 12 volt lower unit from West Texas Feeder Supply that has The Timer and Eliminator plate.
    I've searched Youtube etc and can't find any decent how to videos. What leg kits are the best, and where can I get the best deal? I've looked at Amazon, and see the All Seasons and Boss Buck kits, but are there anymore that are better? I'd like to stay away from the bolt on type if possible just to keep rust and moisture out. I'm not against it, but would think over time it would corrode without some silicone.
    Also, a stupid question..., when I cut out the hole in the bottom of the drum for the funnel, what's the best method, start a pilot hole and saws-all (I don't have a plasma cutter or torch...)?
    Thanks in advanced for the replies!

When I start my builds, I'll post progress in the DIY forum.
    Attached Files

The bolt on kits will work very well. You need a hole saw to make the funnel hole. You can get a hole saw at HD or Lowes McCoys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Barrel Band Legs. Easily attaches to your feeder for quick stub legs. For use on 55 gallon or 30 gallon barrels. 

Build your own feeder with any 55 gallon plastic or metal drum with the barrel band leg system. Easily installs in minutes around the bottom of the barrel. The welded tab supports help position and support the drum inside the band system.  Allows you to mount your own feeder legs without drilling holes in the drum which causes moisture and rust problems over time and that can be harmful to deer and other animals. The square tubing legs accept pipe from 1 1/4"ID and larger (pipe legs not included).

We recommend using 1 1/4" conduit you can buy at any home improvement store. Drill 3/8" holes at 3" centers on one end. A 5/16" x 2" bolt and wing nut will couple the leg with the barrel band and prevent separation when moved or knocked over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tripod Feeder Build

I've made several in the past, went to wench up now, but still have 3 "tripod" styles. You will have to use the bolt on leg adapters unless you have someone weld leg attachments. If you use the bolt on, spray the holes you cut with paint, use a little silicone and washers when you bolt them, that will take care of any moisture or rust. I also made 4"x4" plates for inside barrel to prevent barrel from bending/denting if cows bump legs out. Unless you have pens around it. I've had multiple cows walk under feeder and they will push legs out and bend legs/barrel out. Unless you drive T-Post next to legs so they won't move. Oh ya, you can get the Leg adapters at Academy ~ 18.00$ and they have the bolts and washers.

The center hole I used drill for pilot hole and the used a jig saw to cut it out. You can measure a draw an X on top and I used the cap from spray can for size of hole.
        You can also use 4" PVC pipe around legs to prevent coons from reaching the timer if you don't go with the eliminator plate.

Here's one I just put up at a place I'm hunting hogs at. My BIL has PVC on all his feeders and don't have issues with coons. So I decided to add them to this setup. All my others don't have them, I still have pics of coons climbing the legs. Going to add PVC to all feeders this year, 8 total on my deer lease.
        Attached Files

Comment

hole saw bit. Will fit your normal drill. Should have a bit to hit your mark with and get started.

Comment

I have gone with winch up feeders. Drill funnel hole with hole saw...

Bought parts from Boss buck. Hanging bail, tripod header with pulley and sch 40 blk steel pipe for legs. Also made pens out of cattle panels. No cow/pig issues again...

Comment

Always take a small drill bit and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the barrel, keeps the corn dry, prevents moldy corn.

Comment

Working...
              X