No announcement yet.

New pond leaking, how can we stop it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All great suggestions above. This probably isn't practical for you, but I know an old school hatchery manager that would seal up catfish ponds by feeding them more than the normal amounts and this would create a liner of catfish poo that would seal up the leaks.

Comment

The cow thing works, my grandpa's tank would never hold water, so he fed his cows in there, now it holds water

how long has it been since the tank was dug-----i just dug a pond myself, it takes awhile for it to seal

Comment

Cows or an alligator if too deep for the cows. Alligator likes to rub down across the bottom and will seal it.

Comment

Originally posted by geauxgruene View Post
          Cows or an alligator if too deep for the cows. Alligator likes to rub down across the bottom and will seal it.
          I'd take my chances with cows first.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
            Drain it and disk in some bentonite,or as been said you have to line the side and bottom with clay. Don't give up just yet,the dirt will have to get saturated and the clays swell,this may be where your water loss is going.

Comment

Duct tape should fix your problem

Comment

I know a guy who sells an industrial product to mines and farmers to stop leaking through the sides of canals through the levees. Something that makes the silt 'clog' up the little leaks, and meets environmental regs. PM me if nothing else works and I can track down Pete's phone #.

Comment

im havin the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by flurryoftexas View Post
                    ive heard ole timers say to start feeding your cows in the dry bottom and they will pack down the bottom and it will start holding water....that might be a cheap fix
                    X2... put some hay out there and the cow will compact it for ya... it works.

Comment

Billformsanjose, if you find the # I could use it too. We have a 4 acre pond that just started leaking 4" a day

Comment

Did they core the dam? Could be your problem depending on where this pond is located...

Bentonite is **** expensive and to get enough in a 60x30x12 tank get ready to shell out some dough.. And its about 50/50 if its will seal in the long run..

Go to Pondboss.com and check out the search features on their forum. The guys that run that site know a thing or two about building ponds/lakes and the information is invaluable...Search Bentonite, and read all the failures before you go spending a ton of money on it..

I have just been through this, and I'm about to go with a liner. My pond is 18 feet deep 100 x 60.... Bentonite for my depth, wall size, total tank size is gonna be about 10,000 grand... I can get a clay liner installed for 1/5 that price..

Comment

I sent DawgOnIt Pete's phone #. If he has something to help the problem please post here. I can then PM his phone # to others.

Comment

We have had more luck with bentonite by spreading it while there was water in the tank (pond), seems to go with the flow so-to-speak. Trying to spread it out over a large area of mud was much more difficult.

Comment

Follow Bullydog's advice. Pondboss is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ctburt0n View Post
                                get some drilling mud to put on it
                                X2 for the drilling mud. Probably cheaper too.

Comment

Working...
                                X