Texas Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schultz1503 View Post
    I’ve been recommended to try LBJ grasslands but they have had bad luck this season too. I’m still gonna go but during the week and try myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good idea. PM me and I’ll give you some units to check out if ya want

Comment

Whitney has turkeys too...

Comment

Originally posted by Schultz1503 View Post
        I’ve been recommended to try LBJ grasslands but they have had bad luck this season too. I’m still gonna go but during the week and try myself.

If you have time, scout first. I got up there a day early just to scout, no gun. Saw turkeys (All just across the fence on private), bobcat, had two deer walk up to me, and all kinds of other animals.

Found a great spot to set up in the morning. Could have done without the wind though.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          If you have time, scout first. I got up there a day early just to scout, no gun. Saw turkeys (All just across the fence on private), bobcat, had two deer walk up to me, and all kinds of other animals.

Found a great spot to set up in the morning. Could have done without the wind though.

Most definitely also have you seen hogs up there? I called the Ranger and they said you can hunt hog up there with a shotgun whole lot better than bow like here near Austin

Comment

Anyone hunting the Caddo National Grasslands around Coffe Mill lake

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
              Anyone hunting the Caddo National Grasslands around Coffe Mill lake

Allot of hunters have had bad luck lately winds have been too strong no turkeys

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                LBJ grasslands (around Decatur). Hunted there for over 20 years. Come Spring, those Rios will be lighting it up first light. PM me with questions regarding spots to hunt. I don't mind sharing.

My buddy and I are doing are first turkey hunt this spring and I live in Keller so Decatur is the closest to me considering I can't be too far away from home with a 7 month old baby. We found a few spots to scout by Cottonwood Lake. Have you been out there recently and seen any turkey?

Comment

click >>----> Here’s info on public Turkeys...guaranteed!

Comment

Some good info on here.

Comment

Me and my buddy are headed up to LBJ this weekend to try our luck. I've hunted easterns on public land down in East Texas but have never hunted Rio's on public land. Anyone familiar with the hunting pressure up there? Just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott1997 View Post
                        Me and my buddy are headed up to LBJ this weekend to try our luck. I've hunted easterns on public land down in East Texas but have never hunted Rio's on public land. Anyone familiar with the hunting pressure up there? Just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
                        Following..... Heard there ain't no [emoji884] up there..... [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by Scott1997 View Post
                          Based upon the chatter on this thread I am guessing you won't be the only one up there looking for them.

Comment

Lbj

Well if you are reading this and are new to public land turkey hunting and unsure of public land etiquette, let me give you some advice before heading out into the field.
                            1. Don't try and use turkey fans on public land unless you are absolutely certain that no other hunters are around. This could lead to someone getting shot
                            2. Spend more time listening than calling. I've had killed more turkeys by listening rather than hammering on a call.
                            3. The rule of first come, first serve will always hold true on public land. The only person who has the right to hunt that spot is the person that gets to it first
                            4. Don't go asking other hunters for hunting spots. The hunt is more rewarding by doing your own research.
                            5. Don't be the guy that shows up late and walks through other peoples' spots. If your spot is deeper in the woods, you need to leave camp earlier.
                            6. Don't be an angry hunter. If something goes wrong while you are hunting, don't go and ruin everyone else's hunt. My buddy went hunting on public land and some guy showed up late and got angry that my buddy was in his spot. The guy went back to his truck and started revving his engine and making as much noise as possible just so my buddy would have a bad hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1997 View Post
                              me and my buddy are headed up to lbj this weekend to try our luck. I've hunted easterns on public land down in east texas but have never hunted rio's on public land. Anyone familiar with the hunting pressure up there? Just want to get an idea of what i'm getting into.
                              lots of hunting pressure!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                lots of hunting pressure!!!
                                Thanks for the warning! It's supposed to rain this weekend so hopefully it'll reduce the amount of hunters in the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X