Dog killing my chickens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bci2nd View Post
    It actually is against the law, but the subsection of the statute I listed gives a defense to prosecution.

Same as killing another human, its illegal but extenuating circumstances make it justified.
    Wrong you need to lokm in health and safety code for the right statute for livestock attacked by dog

kronik by Diamond

Comment

2 points in health and safety code

Sec. 822.012. CERTAIN DOGS AND COYOTES PROHIBITED FROM RUNNING AT LARGE; CRIMINAL PENALTY. (a) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that the owner, keeper, or person knows is accustomed to run, worry, or kill livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may not permit the dog or coyote to run at large.

(b) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is punishable by a fine of not more than $100.

(c) Each time a dog or coyote runs at large in violation of this section constitutes a separate offense.

Sec. 822.013. DOGS OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK ANIMALS.

****** (a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:******

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

kronik by Diamond

Note it includes recently attacked you don't have to wait for it to happen again to kill it .
      Last edited by TxKronik; 12-04-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
        2 points in health and safety code

Sec. 822.012. CERTAIN DOGS AND COYOTES PROHIBITED FROM RUNNING AT LARGE; CRIMINAL PENALTY. (a) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that the owner, keeper, or person knows is accustomed to run, worry, or kill livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may not permit the dog or coyote to run at large.

(b) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is punishable by a fine of not more than $100.

(c) Each time a dog or coyote runs at large in violation of this section constitutes a separate offense.

Sec. 822.013. DOGS OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK ANIMALS.

****** (a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:******

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

kronik by Diamond

Note it includes recently attacked you don't have to wait for it to happen again to kill it .
        Good to know!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

My neighbor at my old place shot another neighbor's beagle and that neighbor called the Sheriff. Sheriff asked if the beagle may have been chasing chickens (the guy who shot the dog had already lost some and told the Sheriff) and got, "I'm not sure."

He dismissed it immediately and said "keep your dog on your property".

It's absolutely legal to shoot a dog killing your livestock. Better be able to prove it, but with multiple witnesses, that's not an issue.

The bigger issue is what sort of retaliation you're going to get. Right or wrong, regardless of whether it's their own **** fault, most people will take the killing of their dog personally and you have to live next to them.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            Fenced in and they just got out. No they just run wild and this keeps happening. What are my options legally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
            legally you can kill the dogs, chickens are considered livestock. and the owner of the dog is liable for restitution also

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              Dad went through this with goats. Yes it is legal if caught killing your livestock ON YOUR PROPERTY. Dad killed two of neighbors dogs. Neighbor got fined, had to pay dad restitution , and was forced to get rid of third dog or have it put down.

I would document and report it to have proof just in case
              I agree Brandon, if they are "on your property " they are fair game.

Comment

If my dog killed your chickens and you informed me I’d shoot my own dog. Don’t need no chicken killin egg suckin dog anyway. And I’d buy you new chickens and buy myself a new dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                  100% incorrect.
                  Negative, Ghost Rider! If a neighbors dog is on your property killing your stock, fence in/fence out DOES NOT apply. It doesn't matter. The animal is now causing damage to your stock.

Comment

Hog trap baited with chicken.

Comment

I love dogs, but owners who won't contain their dogs are asking for trouble. Especially when they have been told their dogs are killing someone's chickens. Once a dog gets learns chickens are easy pickins it is hard to break them of that.

Comment

My Neighbor has the same issue, sort of...

His chickens have the run of my place, which is great because we share the yard eggs. Here's the problem, there's this Red Shouldered Hawk that like to eat chicken. He's taking out a couple of chickens a week, before long we're going to run out of chickens.

Comment

The tx ag code applies to pets?

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                            My Neighbor has the same issue, sort of...

His chickens have the run of my place, which is great because we share the yard eggs. Here's the problem, there's this Red Shouldered Hawk that like to eat chicken. He's taking out a couple of chickens a week, before long we're going to run out of chickens.
                            I know a guy he's unpopular in his neighborhood, people suspect he's the reason the chicken killing hawks keep disappearing, but nobody knows for sure!

Comment

Everyone suggesting contacting animal control doesn't live in the country. Animal control will not come out of the city limits!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been through it and it stinks. At the end of the day you'll end up making enemies more than likely. I got the law involved so I had documented proof. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but everybody, including the dog owner, knows the plan if it happens again. I really hope I dont have to kill the family pet behind some darn chickens, but it has just gotten old.

Comment

Working...
                                X