No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters 2017 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was amazing. They actually stayed the entire hunt. A lot of times when it's so green, I have what I call the curious feeders. They hit the road corn for 2 or 3 minutes and head back to the brush. That was not the case last weekend. I'm sure the weather helped

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
      It was amazing. They actually stayed the entire hunt. A lot of times when it's so green, I have what I call the curious feeders. They hit the road corn for 2 or 3 minutes and head back to the brush. That was not the case last weekend. I'm sure the weather helped

There isn’t much greenery down here this year and even last year. But the deer always feel comfortable in the road more than standing under the feeder. I’m gonna lay it down thick this weekend and angle my cameras to the road while still being able to see the feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang, I figured it was green everywhere down south. We have 6 inches of new growth on mesquites

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
          Dang, I figured it was green everywhere down south. We have 6 inches of new growth on mesquites

On our lease in linn it’s not green, nothing really grows most of the year, very very sandy. However on our lease a little farther south it’s green everywhere

Comment

Hunting has been terrible so far. Anyone else having a slow weekend?

Comment

Got a giant 10 yesterday evening near Dilley. Shot with 45 colt Henry levergun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer movement on the slower end with this hot weather in Duval county. Pigs moving all times of the day. Shot one at 11 last night and another this morning. Biggest deer seen was this young 9, but he hauled butt when he saw the dead pig near the feeder. Everything hitting road corn pretty good.

Comment

It was slow but we knocked a few down this weekend.

Comment

Pretty hot and slow here too. Haven't seen anything mature or even close to the numbers we usually do. Hoping early next week is better

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                      It was slow but we knocked a few down this weekend.

What'd the big ten end up scoring? Congrats to your buddy!

And it was hot, saw some good deer but not a whole lot of mature deer movong

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        Hunting has been terrible so far. Anyone else having a slow weekend?

Chip shot on a doe Friday evening was low and I missed.

Sat AM I didn't see a single deer. It was 95* at 4:30 Sat evening so I packed up and came home.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                          What'd the big ten end up scoring? Congrats to your buddy!

He scored 164 7/8. He was 9, weighed 243, and had his best antlers of his life. He was damaged in velvet at 7 and down a lot last year at 8.

It was my buddy’s year in the rotation and he started asking about “Curly” last year. I told him if he wanted to call a buck, he was a good one to watch. When the tc pics started coming in, he was ecstatic. We had our score guesses but all agreed that it didn’t matter what he scored, he would be an old beautiful buck to get with a bow.

We started looking for him in early September. He eluded us until last week, but he wasn’t at his historical home. We had already set up a new Krivo where we expected to see him. Luckily we had another Krivo and set it up that day with a ghillie cover and brush. Curly was broadside at 15 yards the next morning but was bumped by another buck as Chris drew his bow. Tuesday afternoon he never came within 80 yards. Wednesday morning, Chris double lunged him at 16 yards.
                          Last edited by Peyton; 11-05-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                            He scored 164 7/8. He was 9, weighed 243, and had his best antlers of his life. He was damaged in velvet at 7 and down a lot last year at 8.

It was my buddy’s year in the rotation and he started asking about “Curly” last year. I told him if he wanted to call a buck, he was a good one to watch. When the tc pics started coming in, he was ecstatic. We had our score guesses but all agreed that it didn’t matter what he scored, he would be an old beautiful buck to get with a bow.

We started looking for him in early September. He eluded us until last week, but he wasn’t at his historical home. We had already set up a new Krivo where we expected to see him. Luckily we had another Krivo and set it up that day with a ghillie cover and brush. Curly was broadside at 15 yards the next morning but was bumped by another buck as Chris drew his bow. Tuesday afternoon he never came within 80 yards. Wednesday morning, Chris double lunged him at 16 yards.

Put in the rotation coach!

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                              Got a giant 10 yesterday evening near Dilley. Shot with 45 colt Henry levergun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              high fence or low fence? That's a beast. Saw 3 super nice 3.5 yr old bucks one has real wide horns like yours. Then some younger ones and tons of doe.

Also near dilley east of it a bit.

Comment

We shot three good ones at our ranch in Webb county this weekend.187-6/8
                                155-6/8
                                We havn’t scored this one yet. Bucks are starting to figure out their pecking order for the rut. We still have some cull bucks and management Deer to get rid of before rut with our MLD lowfence tags. We have several good bucks that are still nocturnal. Hopefully they show up soon. Nothing like the south Texas brush country. Good luck to everyone. Bring on the rut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X