Post Vehicle Accident-Diminished Value Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Vehicle Accident-Diminished Value Claim

Just recently, I was involved in an accident. The other driver was deemed 100% at fault and repairs were done with no issue. I have been advised that I need to file a Diminished Value of Vehicle claim in order to recoop what I would lose if I was to sell it with the accident on the CarFax.

My question: what route do I take now to get an appraisal for the vehicle before and after the accident? I was told by one person to take it to a dealership and ask for a before/after, but I wouldn't think a dealership would show it's cards like that and reveal what they would sell the vehicle for if I had traded it to them.

I filed one on minor damage to my daughters car. I told them $1500 and they didn't balk.

Comment

You need to hire an independent appraiser who will inspect your car and provide you with a report on its diminished value. It will cost a couple hundred dollars that you must pay out of pocket then file a claim with the other guys insurance company. They will have their "expert" give them a lower number and you'll negotiate a settlement. At least that's how mine went.

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
        I filed one on minor damage to my daughters car. I told them $1500 and they didn't balk.
        I'd much prefer this scenario. If you don't mind me asking, what was your repair cost compared to what you got back on value?

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
          I'd much prefer this scenario. If you don't mind me asking, what was your repair cost compared to what you got back on value?

I don't remember for sure. I think around $3000. Someone backed into us in a parking lot. But the car was 2weeks old.

Comment

I filed one back in 2012 on my challenger. It’s a long story but whatever you do, DO NOT hire Robert Shipley. He will steal your $500 then try to sue you if you “harass him” with phone calls. My insurance company ended up recommending someone. I will try to find the paper work. I got $12,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
              I don't remember for sure. I think around $3000. Someone backed into us in a parking lot. But the car was 2weeks old.
              Mine was a bit more than a backing into. Guy changed lanes into me. Did some body damage, and had to have some steering/front suspension done.

Comment

Me
                Dodge truck with 15,000 miles that I paid $15,000 new..$7000 in damage all to rear of vehicle
                Got no where with original adjuster
                Filed complaint with state board of insurance.
                Filed suit in small claims
                Insurance company hired independent adjuster that specializes in diminished value
                Agreed on claim of $3300 almost one year from date of accident..
                The accident never showed on carfax

Comment

Bringing this to the top because I was rear ended yesterday. My car is used but "new to me" as in haven't made the 2nd payment yet. I reached out to my credit union this morning to see if they could give me the appraisal they would have done when approving the loan. Now to get the value after the accident do I need to wait until after the damage is fixed or can I start that process now?

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      Bringing this to the top because I was rear ended yesterday. My car is used but "new to me" as in haven't made the 2nd payment yet. I reached out to my credit union this morning to see if they could give me the appraisal they would have done when approving the loan. Now to get the value after the accident do I need to wait until after the damage is fixed or can I start that process now?
                      Year, make, model, miles and amount of damage will be a major factor??

Comment

Someone hit our suburban about $3,500 worth of damage when it was two years old. I waited until all the repairs were finished then ask their insurance company about DV claim and they said no problem we agreed quickly to an amount over the phone of $2,000. Then they mailed a release with a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                          Just recently, I was involved in an accident. The other driver was deemed 100% at fault and repairs were done with no issue. I have been advised that I need to file a Diminished Value of Vehicle claim in order to recoop what I would lose if I was to sell it with the accident on the CarFax.

My question: what route do I take now to get an appraisal for the vehicle before and after the accident? I was told by one person to take it to a dealership and ask for a before/after, but I wouldn't think a dealership would show it's cards like that and reveal what they would sell the vehicle for if I had traded it to them.
                          1. Have you settled and signed releases to get your check to fix the car?
                          2. Before you go spend a bunch of money to get appraisals just ask the adjuster how much he is going to offer you for deminished value. If they were fair on the repairs they might be on the DV.

Comment

I love picking on auto adjusters

I'll be traveling this weekend, but if you want to call me after next week I can walk you through the process and figure out a tbh discount for an appraisal.

214-244-1329

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              I love picking on auto adjusters

I'll be traveling this weekend, but if you want to call me after next week I can walk you through the process and figure out a tbh discount for an appraisal.

214-244-1329
                              Thanks, but I went ahead and took their offer. I was ready for it to be done, and I felt like it was a good amount based on what they did to get my truck fixed. So basically, I'm happy with it. It wasn't the initial number I threw at them, and I could've fought it, but in the end, I wasn't out any money, but I made a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X