No announcement yet.

South Texas Hunters 2017 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roads may be impassable for some for opening weekend.

Comment

Ranch reported 6 more inches last night. That's 22 inches total. High fences along the main road off 83 are down. Might get that bucket list elk without leaving Texas.

Comment

We have gotten 10-1/2" inches. As of this morning. We are near Catarina, past the Briscoe mansion off 2688. This was sent to me on one of our cameras yesterday afternoon and this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
          We have gotten 10-1/2" inches. As of this morning. We are near Catarina, past the Briscoe mansion off 2688. This was sent to me on one of our cameras yesterday afternoon and this morning.

Dang, maybe I won't be going down this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
            Local Channel 5 news in San Antonio was showing two oilfield drilling rig crews that were evacuated due to rising flood waters along the Nueces River bottom area. Said over 70 on one and 100 on the other when fast rising waters had them on top of vehicles and equipment. Showed 12"+ totals for yesterday alone in those areas and was still raining in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
              Local Channel 5 news in San Antonio was showing two oilfield drilling rig crews that were evacuated due to rising flood waters along the Nueces River bottom area. Said over 70 on one and 100 on the other when fast rising waters had them on top of vehicles and equipment. Showed 12"+ totals for yesterday alone in those areas and was still raining in the evening.
              Yep as I stated above, one of those "rescues" was on our pasture. I think "rescue" might be a little hyperbole but they were definitely stuck and not getting out without help from what I hear. We are pushing 15" now.

Comment

How many of us will be out this weekend trying to sling an arrow? Getting out if work early tomorrow and driving down back home and get everything ready for saturday morning good thing is lease is only 30 minutes to the front gate!

Comment

I've got dove hunters coming tomorrow, but I'll start hunting this old buck on Monday.

Comment

Got dove hunters this weekend and with all this rain probably a good thing. I'm going to sit out opening weekend and play the following week by ear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A buddy is coming in Monday to start hunting this 10 yr old buck. If he gets him, it will be his biggest buck yet and his 3rd bow buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                        A buddy is coming in Monday to start hunting this 10 yr old buck. If he gets him, it will be his biggest buck yet and his 3rd bow buck.

That's a toad! I really like the one you're gonna be chasing Monday!

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                          That's a toad! I really like the one you're gonna be chasing Monday!

The buck I'm hunting is blind in his left eye and his front feet have gone flat. I think he's 9 but I've never seen him on the hoof, nor has anybody else, except on camera at this one feeder the past 4+ years. With the recent rains, I will stop filling his buffet soon and I don't have a blind established there yet, so he's gonna be hard to find. His feet have sealed his fate. Either I kill him or he'll likely die in the brush.

The other buck is "Curly". We've been watching him for about 6 years. At 4, he was an 8 with tall curved 2's and 3's. That year he almost got shot under the 4 year old 8 model but I saved him because of his tines and look. He has been a 9pt since with the same look and I kept hoping he'd be a 10. At 10 years old, he's finally matched and added mass and a kicker. The dice roll paid off with this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                            The buck I'm hunting is blind in his left eye and his front feet have gone flat. I think he's 9 but I've never seen him on the hoof, nor has anybody else, except on camera at this one feeder the past 4+ years. With the recent rains, I will stop filling his buffet soon and I don't have a blind established there yet, so he's gonna be hard to find. His feet have sealed his fate. Either I kill him or he'll likely die in the brush.

The other buck is "Curly". We've been watching him for about 6 years. At 4, he was an 8 with tall curved 2's and 3's. That year he almost got shot under the 4 year old 8 model but I saved him because of his tines and look. He has been a 9pt since with the same look and I kept hoping he'd be a 10. At 10 years old, he's finally matched and added mass and a kicker. The dice roll paid off with this one!
                            Well good luck, sounds like it'll be a hunt to remember!!

And it's crazy what a deer can do, we try and let the big framed 8s go also until they hit a certain age and we know what all the, but that one is a success story and makes you wonder! Good luck to all!

Comment

Up... where are the STX updates...? I've had a couple of uneventful hunts but at least the ranches look great right now due to recent rain.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Jac View Post
                                Up... where are the STX updates...? I've had a couple of uneventful hunts but at least the ranches look great right now due to recent rain.
                                Haven't been able to access my lease. 21" of rain made the Nueces mad evidently! Going down this coming weekend to access the situation. Hopefully its not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X